Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Owners name on dog tag

Options
  • 25-07-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I am ordering a new dog tag and I was wondering if it's ok to have the dog's name on it instead of the owner's? We had the dog's name on the last ones and I think the law is that you have to have the owner's name. Could we be fined if we had the dog's name? We have the address and and the phone number and he is microchipped so all details are available.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I am ordering a new dog tag and I was wondering if it's ok to have the dog's name on it instead of the owner's? We had the dog's name on the last ones and I think the law is that you have to have the owner's name. Could we be fined if we had the dog's name? We have the address and and the phone number and he is microchipped so all details are available.
    Thanks.
    There's a law requiring the owners name on a dog tag? News to me. I have my dog microchipped and my name and number is on the back of the tag anyway ;)

Rua on one side "mtb_kng" on the other :p

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

I only have dogs names and phone number (my number that is,not theirs!).BUT the control of dogs act of ??? dont know when says tags should have owners full details....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html
    Dogs must at all times wear a collar that bears the name and the address of the owner inscribed on it or on a plate, badge or disc.

I'm sure it's ok to get my dog's name on it instead of ours because it has our phone number and address too?
    Basically it'll be
    Dog'sName OurSurname
    Address
    Phone number

Thanks for the replies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's the Control of Dogs Regulations 1998;)

Section 6 states:

6. (1) The owner or other person in charge of a dog shall ensure that such dog shall at all times wear a collar bearing the name and address of the owner inscribed thereon, or on a plate, badge or disc attached thereto.

So, there's no need to have the dog's name on it, and I know it's not recommended that you do put the dog's name on it as it may make potential thieves seem more familiar to your dog if they know his name (not entirely sure I buy that, but I'd rather not test it!)
    It's also difficult to put your whole name and address on a tag, and I've never heard of anyone being pulled up for simply placing your own surname and phone number(s) on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I have neither dog's name, my name or address on my dog's tag. Instead I have 2 mobile numbers, microchipped, neutered, in case of accident vet fees covered, reward if found and if I'm alone I'm lost. There was a thread about tags a while ago you might be interested in reading: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056290863

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I have two tags on each of mine. One has mine and the OH's phone numbers ,while the other is the tag to say that they are microchipped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

When we got our dogs chipped, they gave us tags with a mobile number that apparently is manned 24 hours a day and each tag had a code is matched with our details. For extra measure we also left their old tags on which have their names and our numbers

Zapperzy wrote: »
    if I'm alone I'm lost.

What a good idea! Hadn't thought of that before!:)

When we got our dogs chipped, they gave us tags with a mobile number that apparently is manned 24 hours a day and each tag had a code is matched with our details. For extra measure we also left their old tags on which have their names and our numbers

There's no doubt it's vital to have ID tags on them even if they're chipped.
    Many people don't know dogs may be chipped, and even if they do, they mightn't bother going to the trouble of getting your dog all the way to someone with a scanner.
    ID tags make it as easy as possible for a finder to contact you if there are phone numbers to contact you direct!

Edited to add: D'uh! Just noticed you say there's a code on the tags from the microchip company, but in case anyone thinks just the microchip will suffice, you can't beat a direct access route to the owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

DBB wrote: »
    What a good idea! Hadn't thought of that before!:)

Not my idea, robbed the idea from someone on that thread I posted! :D For my fella it rings true anyways because he's never offlead so if there is nobody at the other end of his lead then he's not supposed to be there! For anybody who's interested I got mine off here http://www.identitaguk.com/pettags/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Whatever you do, do NOT put your address on it. That's just asking for trouble in this day and age, especially if some particular unsavoury character rings the number, gets no answer figures there's nobody home and decides to pop in for a quick cleanout. My dogs' tags have their name, two mobile numbers, neutered and microchipped written on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Zapperzy wrote: »

I use those - the large white ones. They really stand out & are easy to read. Mine have "Please call *** ******* immediately as my owner will be looking for me" on one side & "I am microchipped & neutered. Please scan" on the other side.

Advertisement