Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Anyone got any recommendations for Superdrug products? I can't afford to replace my Kiehl's moisturizer, so was hoping to get something from Superdrug's own brand range.

Was looking at their facemasks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

panda100 wrote: »
    What do you use the Mac paint pot for perri wrinkles? Is it eyeshadow?

Yep it's an eyeshadow. I really am loving iit though, maybe not the colour I picked but the texture is really creamy and the pot is quite big so should last for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't know if anyone likes stila, but m&m direct have loads of it on clearance. Just got a tinted moisturizer and a lipstick for 4 euro altogether:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Tayla, where did you find the gell eye liner? I can't seem to get my hands on it :(

I got it in Hickeys pharmacy, you should ring your nearest one http://www.hickeyspharmacies.ie/storelocator.htm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

jokettle wrote: »
    I asked in Debenhams Henry St on Sunday about the Naked Palette; they said they'd be getting more in at the end of Feb. I heard a lot of buzz before Christmas but I'd love to get a proper review here if anyone's used it? I'm wondering if I should bother getting it!

My sister picked it up for me on an aerlingus flight, 28e only! It's okay, some colour are nice but for my Irish skin, it isn't the wonder pallete I thought it would be! Too many darker colours!
    In short, wait for it to restock, but do buy it!!

• Advertisement

I don't know if anyone likes stila, but m&m direct have loads of it on clearance. Just got a tinted moisturizer and a lipstick for 4 euro altogether:eek:
    I saw that a few months back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Not really a "Latest Purchase", but H&M nail-polishes are great !

Very cheap (€4 I think?), lovely colours, high pigment, dont chip ridiculously quickly (they obviously chip, but I usually get 2 days at least), and they're nice and kinda runny (I hate too thick nail-polishes! they go clumpy)

My favourite one is the purple! Had been looking for a really purple nail-polish for ages before coming across it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Today I bought MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium
    M74W.jpg

I love the feel of this....I have it in Medium Dark for contouring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

SexyD4Lady wrote: »
    e.l.f. do indeed ship to Ireland. Standard delivery is about €6 and European sign-for is in and around €9. THey deliver withihn 4-6 working days. Value is incredible- bought nine products and inclusing delivery, the total came to €35!

It wont let me proceed to paypal because I have no postcode??
    Is there something im missing out on here??:confused:
    Possibly something ridiculously stupid i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

It wont let me proceed to paypal because I have no postcode??
    Is there something im missing out on here??:confused:
    Possibly something ridiculously stupid i know!

I've never used elf website but normally where there is a postcode required if you enter 0000 or n/a or eire the order should go through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I recently got a shimmer waves bronzer in the body shop. Got it cos it's a mix of different colours and was a bit scared of looking too orange/brown with just a matte bronzer.
    The colours are gorgeous. There's a pale pink, a gold and a few darker bronze toned ones. It's quite shimmery in the pot but on it's not so noticeable. I like the effect of sweeping the brush over the whole thing for a fairly natural look. Love that you can concentrate more on the darker or lighter tones too though. Also make lovely eyeshadow colours.
    I'm quite pale and haven't used bronzer in a while so this prob isn't the best one out there but i liked the effect of it. Don't think the shimmer would make it good for contouring though.

Thinking of getting a few things from Elf, anyone know how light their foundations are? I'm the lightest shade in most foundations, but I can't tell what the ones on the website are like.
    No experience with their foundation but I can recommend their bronzer, but not as a bronzer, as a shimmer, it's really fine so you can use it all over your body and it's so pretty. Impressed with their eyeshadow primer too!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Bought this on Thursday. Used it oonn all the models today to help soothe their faces as they were each doing 5 make upp looks so their faces were a bit sore. Alos gives a great smooth surface to work on and can be used over make up to refresh the look.
    M6GX.jpg

Oh you can also use it as a mixing medium for pigments!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I was given YSL's Easy Liner For Eyes as a gift last week, and it's fantastic! Has a very delicate brush which is so simple to use, very effective and not nearly as messy as I was dreading! Debenhams have the price listed at €31; expensive, but I can highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I treated myself to a gosh primer and a lancome colour idea foundation today. Sam Mcauleys in greystones were selling off some of the lancome products so it was 23 euro instead of 35, need to start wearing more makeup to work so decided to treat myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭blondiexox

I was in Superdrug yesterday and found a really good dupe for MAC's Club eyeshadow. It's a Makeup Academy or MUA eyeshadow in Shade 12. It's a lovely colour, not like anything else I have. I think MUA is only sold in Superdrug but I'm not 100% sure.

I found this blog post that has some pictures.
    http://lovelygirliebits.blogspot.com/2010/11/mua-makeup-academy-eyeshadow-shade-12.html

I also got Shade 1 and Shade 11. Shade 1 reminds me of MAC's Nylon and I think Shade 11 might be like MAC's Romp eyeshadow.

And the best thing is the MUA eyeshadow's are only €1.20!!! :D

Edit: After trying out Shade 11 this morning it looks more like MAC's Satin Taupe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

I bought a Revlon lipgloss in Coral Reef. I've never used their lipglosses before. When I put it on, at first I thought it was kinda sticky but it's not, it's just thick, maybe? Quite moisturising as well.

I also got an Essence nail varnish. It's a matte topcoat which I've been looking for for ages. I found it in Penneys in one of those bucket/basket things they have near the tills. It was only €1.99 - score!:D Haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'm sure it'll be fine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 OhMeOhMy

I bought myself a MAC fluidline gel based eyeliner today in Blacktrack and A precision eyeliner brush (210) to go with it.

Came to a total of €36 but I can honestly say that this product is amazing!!!!!! I have never been one to perfect the eyeliner flicks or been able to apply it very thinly at the inner corners of the eye and gradually get wider and thicker. The combo of these two however is really really good. It goes on very evenly and smoothly and it really is so easy to do with the brush. I had it down first try!!

I think it's defo value for money and the amount of product you get, I can see this lasting my at least a year and a half.

Happy out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

So on foot of this thread I toddled off to the E.L.F. website for the first time and bought the following:

E.L.F. studio blushes in Peachy Keen and Gotta Glow;
    E.L.F. studio contouring blush and bronzer; and
    E.L.F. shimmering facial whip in Lilac Petal.

So. Peachy Keen is a gorgeous gold-peach shimmery blush and really flattering on my skin, which is pale but fairly warm. Really nice to wear with a dark eye to warm up the face without adding too much garish colour. Really like it. Gotta Glow looks white in the pan and is a gold highlighter. I also like it alot. Could imagine it working better on darker skintones where it might show up a bit better but it adds a subtle golden shimmer to the face which I find flattering for wearing with a matte face. The contouring blush and bronzer is probably my favourite buy; the bronzer is pretty dark so it has to be used really sparingly, but it works well as a contour. Definitely not suitable for putting all over the face, but I tend to just wear bronzer as a contour anyway. The blush is so lovely, a gorgeous golden-pink, really lovely on my skintone.

I still prefer my Benefit blushers (Coralista and Sugarbomb) in terms of colour payoff and such, but the E.L.F. ones are certainly much much better than other blushes I have spent much more money on. I would rate them better than any powder blushes I've ever bought in Boots definitely.

The shimmering facial whip is often referred to on Youtube and the like as a dupe of Benefit Highbeam, but it looks much darker in the tube. It blends to a similar enough shimmer, but it's kind of sticky and smells really strongly of orange sweets. I do like it, but anyone who says they prefer it to Highbeam is lying as far as I'm concerned. Highbeam is easier to work with, NOT sticky (which is a huge problem for foundation - I found it difficult enough not disturbing my foundation with Highbeam) and has a much more flattering 'glow' for me. In fairness, the stickiness of Lilac Petal kind of goes away if you squeeze it out on your hand and leave it for a little while to warm up. I'll use it, I quite like it, but I couldn't see it replacing Highbeam for me, particularly as one of my favourite places to put Highbeam is right in the inner corners of my eye, which doesn't work with the Lilac Petal because even the tiniest dot needs alot of blending.

Also recently bought a Catrice fibre mascara - it was half price (1.90!) so i went for it and it's really nice and natural while adding a good deal of length. I'm sure there are better fibre mascaras out there but this is my first encounter with one and I really like it! It's called Extra Long Lash Volume Mascara, and for 1.90 it's worth a punt.

Also, was in Boots today and saw the new 17 eye palettes, me want desperately!! Waiting on another online order, so gonna see how that goes before making any more purchases...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Hey ladies I've got quite a few bits to review for you today :D

Sticking with the elf theme I picked the most recent purchases I got from the site.

All Over Color Stick
    Colour: Pink Lemonade
    Scent: Sugar Orange
    Price: €1.70
    183205_10150107247067259_833992258_6227368_3636828_n.jpg
    I love this because it's has several uses. You can use it on the eyes, lips and face :) I like this best on my cheeks it's great for contouring. The smell of this is gorgeous and for the price it's brilliant...highly recommend :D

32pc eyeshadow palette
    Colour: Everyday basics
    Price: €10.00
    185930_10150107245737259_833992258_6227339_6155761_n.jpg
    180559_10150107245917259_833992258_6227344_2705720_n.jpg
    183274_10150107246157259_833992258_6227348_8385395_n.jpg
    Amazing! I really love this palette :) The eyeshadow base I use with it is Two-Faced shadow insurance and it really brings out the colour. The brighter colours seem to be lot more pigmented, there are a mix of matte and shimmer shadows and it comes with a small applicator but I didn't think it was any good so I threw it out. Very happy with this, my favorite colour has got to be the turquoise blue :D

Lipstick
    Colour: Nicely Nude
    Price: €4.00
    185785_10150107244587259_833992258_6227328_4650_n.jpg
    185778_10150107245597259_833992258_6227338_1666365_n.jpg
    A nice warm pinky nude colour, I loved the colour of this when I first opened the packaging it's a nice on for any part of the day it's not too overpowering either which is great. The only problem I had with this lipstick was that I found I had to apply it a couple times throughout the day as it kept fading I found it stayed on better when I applied a small bit of clear lipgloss over it. (The lipgloss didn't take away from the colour at all) :) I would suggest you to try out the cheaper lipsticks elf has to offer (1.70) before trying these ones.

Studio Makeup Mist & Set
    Scent: Green Tea & Cucumber
    Price: €4.00
    180649_10150107243877259_833992258_6227324_1932735_n.jpg
    The aim of this product is to keep your makeup lasting all day :) I found this product to work better when I wore a liquid foundation rather than powder/mousse. When I wore liquid I felt like my skin was more hydrated and flexible while wearing anything else I felt like it stiffened my face up I didn't feel as comfortable it was like my makeup was caked on :( Another thing is cucumber and green tea are not the most pleasant of smells so if you do not like your face to smell of these then I would give it a miss. Over all it was okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I couldn't get the Naked palette at all before Christmas. It was meant to be part of my Christmas present, so I got the NYC palette instead. I love it!! I use it all the time.
    I recently bought Benefit's High Beam highlighter. I've got oily skin so I always have to wear matte make-up or risk looking oily (yuck!). I love this highlighter, especially for nights out because it gives a nice shimmer without being glittery or oily looking. Comes out nice in photos too!
    I got a cream eyeshadow, also by Benefit. The colour is called "sippin' n dippin' " and it's a lovely neutral, kinda peachy colour. It's really easy to apply and blends really well with other eyeshadows. I use it as a base colour all the time because it blends with any colour. One thing though, I have to use primer with it or else it'll get creased!

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Hey ladies I've got quite a few bits to review for you today :D

Sticking with the elf theme I picked the most recent purchases I got from the site.

All Over Color Stick
    Colour: Pink Lemonade
    Scent: Sugar Orange
    Price: €1.70
    183205_10150107247067259_833992258_6227368_3636828_n.jpg
    I love this because it's has several uses. You can use it on the eyes, lips and face :) I like this best on my cheeks it's great for contouring. The smell of this is gorgeous and for the price it's brilliant...highly recommend :D

Thanks for the review! Very helpful. I was also thinking of getting the all over cover stick. Just wondering if it lasts well through the day? Eyeshadow palette is gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh I defo think I'll be buying some E.L.F stuff when I get paid.

That palette looks really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Hi all. Hadnt been shopping in ages because of my mocks. Heres what i bought:)
    Maybelline lastind drama gel eyeliner yay an affordable gel eyeliner! This comes with a great little brush that can be thick or thin. There was 2 euro off it in boots so it was 8.99. First thoughts: good pigmentation, glides on easily, nice packaging. The pot is tiny but you dont need much. Very happy because i had wanted gel liner for ages!

Vichy aerateint purefoundation
    Shade is 35 moyen/sand. 30ml. 18euro from unicare pharmacy. I got a sample of this in a magazine and loved it. It comes in formulations for dry/normal skin or combination/oily which is great. The shade is nice, good coverage but not heavy. Its nice for a mid priced foundation, cheaper than mac etc, dearer than maybelline etc. This covers blemishes and redness but gives a natural finish.

If you want pics or more info pm me. I would reccommend these products!

kandr10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the review! Very helpful. I was also thinking of getting the all over cover stick. Just wondering if it lasts well through the day? Eyeshadow palette is gorgeous!

It lasts fantastic on the cheeks! On the eyes it's best to wear a little bit of primer and for the lips I use a little bit of clear lipgloss :D Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I bought the new Rimmel 25 hour foundation in Boots the other day, as part of a 3 for 2 offer. It was 8.35, I think.

I wanted cheaper make-up for college, so I can save my more expensive stuff for nights out or more special occasions :pac:

For anyone thinking of buying it and familiar with Mac, it's probably worth noting that the Ivory shade isn't as pale / light as NC or NW15 ; It's probably on par with NC20. So, if you're really pale, this foundation might not be light enough for your skin (Story of our lives, right?)

One negative thing about the foundation is that it's pretty hard to blend as it dries on the skin so fast. You literally apply it and it's dry on the spot, which makes blending or trying to remove it difficult.

So, if you are going to buy this, definitely get a brush or sponges so you can apply a little bit at a time and blend well!

I don't think I'd repurchase, based on how I've found it over the past few days, but when it's 8.35, I'm not going to complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

I got the L'Oreal studio secrets primer this weekend and I cant make up my mind about it. I certainly wouldnt wear it every day but it definately made my make up stay on longer, which was great as I was at a chrstening yesterday that started at 1 and ended at 2am!! Not one reapplication and my foundation (that usually requires 2-3 top ups) was close to perfect!
    It is quite heavy on the skin though, and not easily spreadable like the Gosh primer that Im used to. Gosh for every day wear and LOreal for long wear I would say.

LorealStudioSecretsPrimer.jpg

I also got Revlons photo ready foundation-it was about €18 but wowowowow, Ive found a new foundation dream! It slid acrioss my skin, evened it out perfectly and finally a colour perfect for daytime! Seamless. 10/10.

revlon+photo+ready+foundation.jpg

I agree :) Revlon Photoready is my second favorite foundation, I highly recommend :D

I agree :) Revlon Photoready is my second favorite foundation, I highly recommend :D

Do you know how it compares to the Revlon colorstay? Love that the Photoready has a pump. I'm finding I'm wasting a lot of the colorstay through pouring out too much :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Is it good for paler skin tones? High street make up is always too dark :(

Advertisement