Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

krudler wrote: »
    Have my estus flasks at +2 now and have the undead burg bonfire kindled. I got to the bonfire in Blighttown but the framerate makes it a complete pain if you're surrounded. have good poison resist armour through so going through bit by bit.

If you have the spider shield (Bandit starting shield, or found in the Depths) and hold it up the toxic darts do no build-up at all so its one of the better shields to use in blighttown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Shadow armour and the spider shield I think I used for Blighttown first time round, it's a horrible area but easy enough once you get your bearings and know where you're going. Once you ring the bell at the bottom you start to move up in the world, a nice break from all the dark swamps and narrow dungeons

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone else getting "no response from server, play in offline mode" on the ps3 title screen? Been like this since yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ShaneU wrote: »
    Anyone else getting "no response from server, play in offline mode" on the ps3 title screen? Been like this since yesterday

Yeah a few times, but then it'd start showing messages midway through playing, hope they're not planning on taking down the servers soon

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Ok so I'm trying out Gravelording with my SL100 INT build in Blighttown and am getting all of one bite (which turned out to just be a Darkwraith who sat in the middle of the infested barbarians with a dragon bow, UGH). Has anyone else tried gravelording? Is there anywhere decent to do it aside from the insanity of Oolacile or the Forest?

• Advertisement

Made it through Blighttown, killed Queelag, into Sen's Fortress now, all the traps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Congrats, Sens can be another frustrating area I'm sure you'll be glad to hear! There's only one bonfire and its near the top of the fortress so you'll likely be repeating the first half over and over, using traps to your advantage is a good way to get through it

And unless you're trying to play through the game unassisted I'd advise checking the wiki for the location of the bonfire as its not exactly easy to find

Just glad to get out of Blighttown, infuriating place, down the bottom in the swamp wasnt bad as I had tons of moss and decent poison resist but up top with the ladders and platforms you could see but couldnt get to, nnnggg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just glad to get out of Blighttown, infuriating place, down the bottom in the swamp wasnt bad as I had tons of moss and decent poison resist but up top with the ladders and platforms you could see but couldnt get to, nnnggg.

There's a secret area down there that's very easy to miss and represents a good chunk of content in the game. Behind the chest in the Giant tree if you head away from where the boss is there's a double illusionary wall. If you've been playing right as well you'll find out the fate of Siegfmeyer and Sieglinde there later on (:().

Awww i don't wanna go back down there, although the great club is a fun weapon, batter up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Awww i don't wanna go back down there, although the great club is a fun weapon, batter up.

You'll be able to warp between bonfires soon, don't worry!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Those damn mosquitoes are the worst.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Those damn mosquitoes are the worst.

Yeah you had to lock onto them when they were close otherwise hits didn't seem to register with them, the rest of the enemies down there weren't too bad it's just the design of the place everything looked the same so it was hard to figure out what direction to be going in. After Sen's Fortress I think I'm gonna do some major levelling, been mostly using the drake sword and uchigatana +4 so will beef that up and maybe the zweihander.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah you had to lock onto them when they were close otherwise hits didn't seem to register with them, the rest of the enemies down there weren't too bad it's just the design of the place everything looked the same so it was hard to figure out what direction to be going in. After Sen's Fortress I think I'm gonna do some major levelling, been mostly using the drake sword and uchigatana +4 so will beef that up and maybe the zweihander.

I found the Whip very effective against the mozzies in my first playthrough. Once you get your weapons leveled you'll be flying, Iaito +15 was an absolute beast, I'd imagine the uchi will be much the same. Never found any the elemental upgrades anywhere near as effective as the standard myself. Lifehunt Scythe is also pretty useful to get hold of, though it causes bleed damage to you while you use it, but can really make short work of some of the bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

finished my 2nd play through last night (well i say finished but I still have to clean up the npc's and kindle all bonfires before heading to Gwyn and NG+ in both games)

have to say the worst enemy for me in the game has been the titanite demons. they've easily cost me the most amount of deaths, particularly the ones in sen's. in fact the only one of them i found easy is the one between the parish and darkroot. Will they be easier to dispatch as a sorcerer?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

been mostly using the drake sword and uchigatana +4 so will beef that up and maybe the zweihander.

I was in the same position as you, I left the drake sword behind due to it being tough to level up and levelled up the uchigatana to lightning +5 and used the crystal halberd for the bosses, was/is a beast of a combo. I upgraded the zweihander to fire +4 but found it way too slow.
    With the crystal halberd you can't repair it but when you upgrade it gets repaired so I waited until it wore down then upgraded, think I'm +2 or 3 now.

Oh and when you get to Anor Londo, farm those knights until they drop a silver knight spear, I didn't get one until NG+, didn't know what I was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Oh and when you get to Anor Londo, farm those knights until they drop a silver knight spear, I didn't get one until NG+, didn't know what I was missing.

Poison arrows ftw

Got through Sen's Fortress, on the boss now, had him down to low health and he picked me up and hopped me off the ground, blah. the Zweihander +4, two handed, with flaming pine resin, clobbers everything nicely even if it's slow. I have the grass crest shield equipped so least my stamina refills pretty quickly. the view at the top of the fortress is class.

Got through Sen's Fortress, on the boss now, had him down to low health and he picked me up and hopped me off the ground, blah. the Zweihander +4, two handed, with flaming pine resin, clobbers everything even nicely if it's slow. I have the grass crest shield equipped so least my stamina refills pretty quickly. the view at the top of the fortress is class.

He's susceptible to bleed damage on his heels. Role through his legs, get behind him and slash him to buggery with the Uchi. There's an NPC you can summon to help you too, think he's across a walkway from the fog gate in another tower.

• Advertisement

He's susceptible to bleed damage on his heels. Role through his legs, get behind him and slash him to buggery with the Uchi. There's an NPC you can summon to help you too, think he's across a walkway from the fog gate in another tower.

There's a merchant guy over in a tower you have to jump a gap to get to, that him? I've no humanity to de-hollowfy myself so meh, I'll man up and take on the boss on my lonesome, there's some good farming spots around once the bondire is activated, got that ring that ups your discovery so loadsa titanite around.

There's a merchant guy over in a tower you have to jump a gap to get to, that him? I've no humanity to de-hollowfy myself so meh, I'll man up and take on the boss on my lonesome, there's some good farming spots around once the bondire is activated, got that ring that ups your discovery so loadsa titanite around.

I think he's in a different tower to that one, on the opposite side. There would be a summon sign on the ground for him.

I think he's in a different tower to that one, on the opposite side. There would be a summon sign on the ground for him.

Up past a black knight? I was running up stairs and there was an NPC knight who attacked me, so I ruined his day.

Up past a black knight? I was running up stairs and there was an NPC knight who attacked me, so I ruined his day.

It's around that general area yeah, it's been a while since I played so can't remember the exact layout. Might be worth a quick gawk at a wiki.

Is there a way to fight the other giant, the one lobbing the boulders down into the level? I killed the one with the firebombs up near the boss, be handy if I don't have to put up with the boulders going through there again if I wanted to farm the place.

Is there a way to fight the other giant, the one lobbing the boulders down into the level? I killed the one with the firebombs up near the boss, be handy if I don't have to put up with the boulders going through there again if I wanted to farm the place.

You have to take a running jump from up above to get over to him, think there's some loot over there too iirc (possibly a crossbow). You could take him out with arrows before you go over maybe. I could be wrong but I think he actually respawns unlike the firebomb one.

Blehh, figured it'd be too easy. That lightning spear is pretty nifty, might be handy against the bridge dragon since I've no gold pine resin left only the charcoal one. do any merchants have the gold stuff? havent seen any since finding it in undead burg way back

Blehh, figured it'd be too easy. That lightning spear is pretty nifty, might be handy against the bridge dragon since I've no gold pine resin left only the charcoal one. do any merchants have the gold stuff? havent seen any since finding it in undead burg way back

Domhnaill of Zena sells it (think he first appears in the depths by the gate to blightown, then moves to the aquaduct in firelink shrine, I often died trying to just jump across to where he is), but only 3 per playthrough I think. I killed the bridge Wyvern with the drake sword before I'd even rung the first bell :p

Ooh, got to Anor Londo, it's so pretty. Used the great club with power within and charcoal pine resin, took down the Iron Golem in about 8 hits, take that mutha****a!

• Advertisement

Got to the bonfire and there's about 6 of those massive knights nearby, 1500 souls a pop and they're not that hard, farming time. that crystal halberd is nifty, I attack every chest now after one of those things ate me in Sen's Fortress :mad:

Is there a way of getting back to the previous areas before Sen's Fortress? pain in the balls that place is. Can get the warp back to the area where I fought the golem but I want to level up some weapons and don't fancy having to trudge back down through all that again.

Advertisement