Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quotes & More Quotes by Atheists (sig fodder inside)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do.:):D;):rolleyes::p!@!!!***.......

Bertrand Russell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

While not an athiest as far as i know, no list can be complete without a bit of Groucho

"If you want to know where God is, ask a drunk"

"In the beginning there was nothing and God said 'let there be light'. There was still nothing, but you could see it!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

“We atheists do not believe in gods, or angels, or demons, or souls that endure, or a meeting place after all is said and done where more can be said and done and the point of it all revealed. We don’t believe in the possibility of redemption after our lives, but the necessity of compassion in our lives. We believe in people, in their joys and pains, in their good ideas and their wit and wisdom. We believe in human rights and dignity, and we know what it is for those to be trampled on by brutes and vandals. We may believe that the universe is pitilessly indifferent but we know that friends and strangers alike most certainly are not. We despise atrocity, not because a god tells us that it is wrong, but because if not massacre then nothing could be wrong.”
    -Unknown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It will yet be the proud boast of women that they never contributed a line to the Bible.

:D
    People will then often say, ‘But surely it’s better to remain an Agnostic just in case?’ This, to me, suggests such a level of silliness and muddle that I usually edge out of the conversation rather than get sucked into it. (If it turns out that I’ve been wrong all along, and there is in fact a god, and if it further turned out that this kind of legalistic, cross-your-fingers-behind-your-back, Clintonian hair-splitting impressed him, then I think I would choose not to worship him anyway.)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My fav D. Adams quote:

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."
    Terry Pratchett.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think it's been posted here before - 'the reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bull****' - richard pryor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

'If you let jesus into your heart, he will go straight to your head and kick your brain out your nose'- me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

"The problem with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and putting things in it."
    — from the great Terry Pratchett

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's in my sig, but that doesn't mean anyone has ever looked at it. :D
    Isaac Asimov, from the article "On Religiosity" in Free Inquiry magazine: "Although the time of death is approaching me, I am not afraid of dying and going to Hell or (what would be considerably worse) going to the popularized version of Heaven. I expect death to be nothingness and, for removing me from all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism."

it just struck a chord with me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

I've almost certainly posted these before but;
    They will have time enough, in those endless aeons, to attempt all things, and to gather all knowledge ... no Gods imagined by our minds have ever possessed the powers they will command ... But for all that, they may envy us, basking in the bright afterglow of Creation; for we knew the Universe when it was young.
    Arthur C. Clarke, Profiles of the Future (1962)

If the Ionian spirit had won, I think we - a different 'we' of course - might now be venturing to the stars. Our first survey ships to Alpha Centauri and Barnard's Star, Sirius and Tau Ceti would have returned long ago. Great fleets of interstellar transports would be under construction in Earth orbit - unmanned survey ships, liners for immigrants, immense trading ships to plow the seas of space. On all these ships there would be symbols and writing. If we looked closely, we might see that the language was Greek. And perhaps the symbol on the bow of one of the first starships would be a dodecahedron, with the inscription 'Starship Theodorus of the Planet Earth.'

Carl Sagan, Cosmos

And the (approximate) translation of my sig:
    Man is the measure of all things: of things which are, that they are, and of things which are not, that they are not. Protagoras (attrib.) in Plato's Theaetetus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

David Thorne on being told that, "There's an old saying that life without religion is life without beauty."
    Perhaps your church youth group could put together an interpretive dance routine representing the behaviour of Saturn's moon Hyperion, shattered by an ancient collision and falling randomly back together, tugged to and fro by the gravitational pull of Titan, sixteen sister moons, the multi-billionfold moonlets of Saturn’s rings, Saturn’s gravitational field, companion planets, the variability’s of Sol, stars, galaxy, neighbouring galaxies... or possibly not, according to an old saying, there is no beauty in this.

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

"The essence of Christianity is told us in the Garden of Eden story. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on. You could be in the Garden of Eden if you had just kept your f*cking mouth shut and hadn't asked any questions...'Get smart and I'll f*ck you over,' sayeth the Lord. Is this not an absolutely anti-intellectual religion?" - Frank Zappa.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Nemi

liah wrote: »
    We believe in human rights
    I don't, which made me think that I may be the only one who isn't an individual. As in

Which is as good a way as any of introducing a little quote from Nietzsche;

To recognize untruth as a condition of life: that, to be sure, means to resist customary value-sentiments in a dangerous fashion; and a philosophy which ventures to do so places itself , by that act alone, beyond good and evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

Two of my favour include:
    So you really think that God would plant a bunch of bones in the earth to test your faith? Either you're in denial or God has some serious self-esteem issues.
    -Coral Yoshi
    and
    The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also
    - Mark Twain

(I Know it is unclear wheather Mark Twain was in fact an atheist but I like the quote so I dont really care)

from Dave Silverman, president of American Atheists in bnt's thread about atheists knowing more about religion than the religious:
    “I have heard many times that atheists know more about religion than religious people,” Mr. Silverman said. “Atheism is an effect of that knowledge, not a lack of knowledge. I gave a Bible to my daughter. That’s how you make atheists.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

legspin wrote: »
    Quite enjoyed these ones
    This is a good one from that lot that might be pertinent to a few recent threads:
    I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

One of my favourites :
    I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, I'm sure you will agree, and even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature's wonders, gentlemen: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that's when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior

Terry Pratchett

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Shenshen wrote: »
    One of my favourites :

Terry Pratchett

Great quote :), I wonder where I have read it before ;)

• Advertisement

Great quote :), I wonder where I have read it before ;)

*lol
    You're giving yourself too much credit, the book is at home on my bookshelf, as are most of his books ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

*lol
    You're giving yourself too much credit, the book is at home on my bookshelf, as are most of his books ;)

Most? :p I have everything he has written, right down to "The Unalduterated Cat" and "Once More* With Footnotes" :cool:

Another Pratchett Quote:
    "Gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at"

PS: Did you see the sword he made out of meteor rocks?

Most? :p I have everything he has written, right down to "The Unalduterated Cat" and "Once More* With Footnotes" :cool:

Another Pratchett Quote:
    "Gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at"

PS: Did you see the sword he made out of meteor rocks?

:eek:

Wow... just .... wow. That looks absolutely amazing.

:eek:

Wow... just .... wow. That looks absolutely amazing.
    that is pretty awesome.

i wonder how much it cost tho?

that's the thing when you've got money like that, you can afford to do nutty, frivolous things and call it 'eccentric' just for the sake of it instead of giving the money to a worthwhile charity instead.

he's a great author tho, love his books. i think if we're all honest about it we'd probably all end up doing stupid stuff for the sake of it if we could afford to. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    that is pretty awesome.

that's the thing when you've got money like that, you can afford to do nutty, frivolous things and call it 'eccentric' just for the sake of it instead of giving the money to a worthwhile charity instead.

he's a great author tho, love his books. i think if we're all honest about it we'd probably all end up doing stupid stuff for the sake of it if we could afford to. :)

Mind you, as far as I know he's generously supporting Alzheimer research...
    So allow him a bit of eccentricity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

vibe666 wrote: »
    that is pretty awesome.

Well, he's the biggest-selling author in the world - I think he's got enough to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

My favs, although not all strictly atheists....

"Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits."
    Dan Barker

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion."
    Abraham Lincoln

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."
    Carl Sagan

"Ask a deeply religious Christian if he'd rather live next to a bearded Muslim that may or may not be plotting a terror attack, or an atheist that may or may not show him how to set up a wireless network in his house. On the scale of prejudice, atheists don't seem so bad lately."
    Scott Adams

"I'm still an atheist, thank God."
    Luis Bunuel

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."
    Voltaire

Errr... sorry for whoring them all! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of 10 things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these 10 things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! . . . But He loves you!" —George Carlin

"A God who could make good children as easily as bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave his angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice, and invented hell—mouths mercy, and invented hell—mouths Golden Rules and forgiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people, and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites his poor abused slave to worship him!" —Mark Twain

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ That Mark Twain one is a keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived" - Isaac Asimov

"Be born anywhere, little embryo novelist, but do not be born under the shadow of a great creed, not under the burden of original sin, not under the doom of Salvation" - Pearl S. Buck

If you can read this, you're too close!

Advertisement