Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

ulinbac wrote: »
    Hi phi3,

Firstly go to GP or counsellor and talk about this!

Second, if you don't go you will make it worse!. Agrophobia is a big thing and something my shrink made sure didn't happen to me. I'm lucky that my stubborness literally forces me along with a sense of competition against GAD not to lose. If you keep making reasons not to, it will get more difficult every time!

Third and finally!! You want to go and you are looking forward to it, so just bloody well go! :p That might sound harsh, but for me a big kick in the a**e is needed sometimes. Remember, anxiety CAN'T hurt you. You WILL not die. You WILL feel uncomfortable before, during and after but you will feel worse if you don't!

The more you do this type of thing the easier it gets!:cool:

I'm certainly not looking forward to it! I'm dreading it. And I wouldn't say I want to go, it's just something I'm mildly curious about. The person who asked me to go probably isn't helping. I haven't seen him for years, and we didn't part on great terms. We have been in contact since but not in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

phi3 wrote: »
    I'm certainly not looking forward to it! I'm dreading it. And I wouldn't say I want to go, it's just something I'm mildly curious about. The person who asked me to go probably isn't helping. I haven't seen him for years, and we didn't part on great terms. We have been in contact since but not in person.

So lets take this in steps.

- When is it on?
    - What helps with the anxiety?
    - How is the relationship between ye when chatting online?

There will be more coming, but answer these first.

So lets take this in steps.

- When is it on?
    - What helps with the anxiety?
    - How is the relationship between ye when chatting online?

There will be more coming, but answer these first.

No definite day set as it's on for a week.
    Hiding helps with anxiety
    Chatting online we get on ok but don't do it that much. Sometimes he annoys me.

....... next......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Back to black again...

Went to counselling over the summer and was doing really well, taking my meds and not having manic episodes and such, but then (stupidly, in hindsight) got into a relationship with my housemate.

He is a recovering alcoholic and ex-heroin addict and has a lot of his own problems but we just couldnt stay away from each other and fell into a relationship for 3 months. Very intense. The sex wasn't great but the emotional connection was amazing (or so I thought).

I came home from work last Thursday and all his stuff was gone. He's just gone. Moved out. No note. Left his keys on the kitchen table and rang the landlord to say he was going and knew he wouldnt get his deposit back.

I have had no contact, nothing. 3 months of pandering to his "I'm in recovery" sh1t and putting my own needs aside and I had one blip of insecurity and he's gone. He just left. He left because of me.

I'm still in shock tbh. Had a big work event that meant I was able to distract myself for most of the weekend. Got absolutely blotto on Saturday night after the event and ended up finding his keys and lying on his bed in his empty room just crying and crying.

Have wanted to drink/smoke every night this week but held off aside from having a smoke last night because I was hysterical and couldnt sleep.

It's the lack of closure. I had no closure with my last ex, took 3 years off relationships to look after myself and now I'm just back to square one, feeling sh1t about myself and wanting to just get lost again.

Taking all my strength to just keep taking my meds and saving back up to go back to counselling and not just spend it all on going on a mad one.

Can't stop crying and the panic attacks are back and worse than usual. Awesome.

Sorry for the vent, just need to get it off my chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Keep that strength going, keep it going keep it going, it will pay off! I'm sorry to hear about that, strange circumstances. Try and go out, it is not a reflection on you that he left. Try and make yourself comfortable in your body in whatever way you can.

Lots of love :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

The pills I'm taking are having an interesting effect on me. It's done wonders for my anxiety but I get that feeling of dread in my stomach every time I wake up, for no reason. It takes a while to go away but I'm definitely not as bad as I was before. My spirits have risen and the depression isn't as bad but it can still get difficult.

Some days though it makes me sort of wired, for lack of a better word. I just can't stop thinking about everything and anything, basically frantic and racing thoughts. Feels like my mind is going a million miles an hour sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

The pills I'm taking are having an interesting effect on me. It's done wonders for my anxiety but I get that feeling of dread in my stomach every time I wake up, for no reason. It takes a while to go away but I'm definitely not as bad as I was before. My spirits have risen and the depression isn't as bad but it can still get difficult.

Some days though it makes me sort of wired, for lack of a better word. I just can't stop thinking about everything and anything, basically frantic and racing thoughts. Feels like my mind is going a million miles an hour sometimes.

Hey Mick, glad to hear you are getting some relief from the anxiety, you're sounding much more positive.

Are you into mindfulness meditation at all? It's something I find really good for the early morning dread and over thinking mind. I try to do it before I get up in the morning and it can make such a difference to the rest of the day, particularly if you do it regularly. If I have time I would ideally do a 20-30 minute guided meditation, but if I'm on the run (weekdays) I just stick on some short but beautiful music close my eyes and focus on every note.

Just for you here's three minutes of peace for your head ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-4wUfZD6oc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

murria wrote: »
    Hey Mick, glad to hear you are getting some relief from the anxiety, you're sounding much more positive.

Are you into mindfulness meditation at all? It's something I find really good for the early morning dread and over thinking mind. I try to do it before I get up in the morning and it can make such a difference to the rest of the day, particularly if you do it regularly. If I have time I would ideally do a 20-30 minute guided meditation, but if I'm on the run (weekdays) I just stick on some short but beautiful music close my eyes and focus on every note.

Just for you here's three minutes of peace for your head ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-4wUfZD6oc

I've never really tried meditation, but I might look into it now that I'm starting to get my shít together. My life for weeks on end now has been nothing but repetitive and negative, and it's good to have some more stability, even if only slight.

That song is great by the way. :D You should try listening to Ludovico Einaudi, he's an amazing artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Having a borderline evening. I'm in the edge of so many emotions / feelings!

Happy! Excited! Dread! Fear! Apprehension! Nervous! Regret! Shame! Joy!

Heart going 120 bpm! Properly racing. I checked it. Kinda.

Maybe add hypochondria to the list :)

With all these thoughts flying through my head I'm getting very anxious. Very very anxious. Doing mindfulness etc.

I have a busy few weeks of work ahead. A little bit of travelling for meetings etc and a few important sales type pitches coming up. I don't mind them but the (potentially amazing) outcomes fill me with excitement.

I am planning conversations (from my side) in my head. Telling people things. "Talking is my treatment".

You know the way they say once am addict always an addict? Well I reckon I'm still addicted to self harm. I haven't cut in ages. Months. But tonight I (genuinely completely) accidentally managed to rub something sharp against my arm (leaned on a scissors, didn't know it was there) & the thrill & the elation. Oh wow! It was a millisecond thing - I don't think there was so much as a tiny scrawl on my arm. But the temptation... Wow. Amigos the temptation was incredible.

I didn't. I won't. But Jesus with all of these emotions flying... I'm set to BURST with all of these emotions.

I feel like I want to go for a big run but it's 12.30. Not clever. And I can't run. Severe case of couch potato.

I haven't felt such intense emotions in an age. I need to dial it down because I need to sleep. I have work tomorrow.

Anyone any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Maybe you should lie in bed, put some of your favorite tunes on and just try to relax? (Is it possible to tell somebody to relax without sounding patronizing, ugh :confused:)

Try to let the happiness,excitement and joy block out the negativity! Sometimes it works for me, the odd time :o But maybe it's worth a shot. If you relax enough you may just fall asleep!

Proud of you for not self harming, i'm way too familiar with the temptation. I used to self harm when I was 16-ish, and haven't since but I'm often reunited with the temptation, reminding myself of the feeling of relief i'd feel if I did it. Sometimes it really does take a lot of strength to not do it.

Severe case of couch potato?.. Bet I have it worse :p I bought a selection box thing to give myself a treat once a day for the next 6 days, but of course I have eaten a packet of buttons, a crunchie, a fudge bar, a dairy milk caramel and a dairy milk, so not only do I feel morbidly obese and nauseous, I think I may also be paralyzed.

I went to the doctor today, whoooo the feeling of pride :D I got prescribed Gerozac (anybody have any experience on these? don't want medical advice, just personal experiences if any). She said she wanted to start me off easy and I have to call her in 2 weeks and then go back to see her in 3 months.

Really hope you're okay Hersheys :) xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I went to the doctor today, whoooo the feeling of pride :D I got prescribed Gerozac (anybody have any experience on these? don't want medical advice, just personal experiences if any). She said she wanted to start me off easy and I have to call her in 2 weeks and then go back to see her in 3 months.
    Gerozac is Flouxetine, same as Prozac. Doctor might say it will take two weeks to take effect, but it can take up to 6-8 weeks, so bear this in mind. Also, it has a long half-life, which means you should not feel any ill-effects if you accidentally miss a dose.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Gerozac is Flouxetine, same as Prozac. Doctor might say it will take two weeks to take effect, but it can take up to 6-8 weeks to kick in.

Thanks Esel, yeah she said about 2-3 weeks but longer for some people. My friend recommended taking it at night because it can make you feel very tired, hoping it doesn't make it even harder to get up in the morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks Esel, yeah she said about 2-3 weeks but longer for some people. My friend recommended taking it at night because it can make you feel very tired, hoping it doesn't make it even harder to get up in the morning :P
    Not sure if taking it at night is a good idea. Afaik morning is the recommended time as it can make you more alert. You could consider trying to take the dose at night, but if you find that it interferes with sleep switch to taking it in the morning.

Not your ornery onager

Maybe you should lie in bed, put some of your favorite tunes on and just try to relax? (Is it possible to tell somebody to relax without sounding patronizing, ugh :confused:)

Try to let the happiness,excitement and joy block out the negativity! Sometimes it works for me, the odd time :o But maybe it's worth a shot. If you relax enough you may just fall asleep!

Proud of you for not self harming, i'm way too familiar with the temptation. I used to self harm when I was 16-ish, and haven't since but I'm often reunited with the temptation, reminding myself of the feeling of relief i'd feel if I did it. Sometimes it really does take a lot of strength to not do it.

Severe case of couch potato?.. Bet I have it worse :p I bought a selection box thing to give myself a treat once a day for the next 6 days, but of course I have eaten a packet of buttons, a crunchie, a fudge bar, a dairy milk caramel and a dairy milk, so not only do I feel morbidly obese and nauseous, I think I may also be paralyzed.

Really hope you're okay Hersheys :) xx

Great job on going to the doc! You should feel proud! Great news.

As for me I tried everything I could think of. Anything.

Eventually drifted off but woke up the exact same. I think I might be hyperventilating. Happened before.

Can't afford the time to sit in the doctor waiting room for 27 hours but will go as soon as I can.

I have "ants in my pants" - can't sit still!

No definite day set as it's on for a week.
    Hiding helps with anxiety
    Chatting online we get on ok but don't do it that much. Sometimes he annoys me.

....... next......

At work, so bare with me replying :)

Why no definite day yet?
    Does hiding really help or make whats coming up worse? Does anticipation make it worse or actually help?
    Don't we all annoy somebody most weeks? Maybe he finds you annoying at times too.. Who decided on the meet?
    What is the worst that could happen if you meet him?

At work, so bare with me replying :)

Why no definite day yet?
    Does hiding really help or make whats coming up worse? Does anticipation make it worse or actually help?
    Don't we all annoy somebody most weeks? Maybe he finds you annoying at times too.. Who decided on the meet?
    What is the worst that could happen if you meet him?

No definite date because it runs for a few days. So he's not sure what days he's working etc.
    Hiding helps in a way but it also depresses me. But avoidance is safe.
    He asked me to meet him. And yes I'm sure I do annoy him!
    Worst thing that could happen...... Well, me being completely silent and having nothing to say. That's a common problem.
    Him telling me I'm quiet or getting irritated/bored/annoyed at me having nothing to say. Also very common any time I meet anyone.
    People seem to judge me so quickly. Even when I think I'm being outgoing & chatty people tell me I'm very quiet. It seems impossible. I know in theory being quiet isn't a bad thing but it is in a way because when you never have anything to say, people talk to you less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Made it through first college half term. Night out on wednesday was a success except for me being violently ill :p We'll see.

No definite date because it runs for a few days. So he's not sure what days he's working etc.
    Hiding helps in a way but it also depresses me. But avoidance is safe.
    He asked me to meet him. And yes I'm sure I do annoy him!
    Worst thing that could happen...... Well, me being completely silent and having nothing to say. That's a common problem.
    Him telling me I'm quiet or getting irritated/bored/annoyed at me having nothing to say. Also very common any time I meet anyone.
    People seem to judge me so quickly. Even when I think I'm being outgoing & chatty people tell me I'm very quiet. It seems impossible. I know in theory being quiet isn't a bad thing but it is in a way because when you never have anything to say, people talk to you less.

What do ye usually chat about on FB?
    Maybe read up on sports, news etc before meeting him?
    Silence is a very common thing. Go into any restaurant and look around at individual couples/people in pairs. You can't always be talking? Even so, does it really matter as you made the effort to go?

How is avoidance safe? Is it not just making a big deal out of something that is not and making you more anxious? How often does he tell you that you are quiet?

What interests you atm?

cloud493 wrote: »
    Made it through first college half term. Night out on wednesday was a success except for me being violently ill :p We'll see.

Good for you Cloud that's quite an achievement. Really glad Wednesday went well (apart from the puking which I won't mention, same as I didn't mention my son's last weekend ;)). Enjoy your mid-term break.

My boyfriend appears to be having some sort of melt down thingy. I don't blame him, I rely on him so much and expect so much support from him that I sometimes forget that he needs some support and somebody to rely on. My selfishness and expectations have just completely clouded my judgement.

He asked me to go over to his house earlier, I've been looking up jobs and applying for some (he didn't know this), so ended up not going over. He went absolutely mad at me, and sent me texts saying he wants to pass out in a ditch or throw himself under a bus, so now i'm lying in bed in hysterics crying with worry and because I know exactly how he feels.

I tried to help him. I suggested going over to him, him coming over to me (i'd pay for a taxi), meeting in town for food and to talk and nothing would work. I feel like I genuinely did try and that nothing worked. He kept telling me he didn't want to be on his own and anytime I suggested meeting he'd say no? And then gave out to me for not using my initiative :confused: He ended up accusing me of attacking him and was rejecting my calls. I'm in bits. I cry a good bit, but can't remember the last time it was so bad. I just feel so useless, I have no idea what to do!

It's just starting to feel like it's one bad thing after another, constantly and I don't know how much more I can take, it just feels unbearable these days.

• Advertisement

Okaywhatever, what would you like him to do if it was the other way around?

Obviously i have no idea where you both live but is it too late to just turn up at his and "be there" for him?

murria wrote: »
    Okaywhatever, what would you like him to do if it was the other way around?

Obviously i have no idea where you both live but is it too late to just turn up at his and "be there" for him?

I was thinking that but it would take me about an hour and a half to get there. Looking at €30 for a taxi. I don't know if it's a case that he wants to be mad at somebody and if I turn up after him saying no, then it's just going to lead to another argument. So hard to know what to do! Thanks Murria :)

I was thinking that but it would take me about an hour and a half to get there. Looking at €30 for a taxi. I don't know if it's a case that he wants to be mad at somebody and if I turn up after him saying no, then it's just going to lead to another argument. So hard to know what to do! Thanks Murria :)

Ok I see, well going over definitely isn't an option tonight then. Send him a text and apologise for this evening, reassure him of your feelings and make a commitment to see him either tomorrow or over the weekend. Let him know that he doesn't have to reply tonight. Then try to relax and distract yourself, there's nothing more you can do tonight and you will just upset yourself overthinking. Things might seem better tomorrow. Take care. :)

So last nights mood or intense emotions or whatever culminated in a whopper of an anxiety episode this evening. Just calming now :(

Next few weeks are going to be tough. I hope this is the last of my panics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Jesus what am I doing with my life? Been drinking every night this week. Spent all of my money so have nothing for the rest of the month. Great stuff. Haven't really eaten this week. Not hungry.
    Panic attacks setting in now at night like they always do. But don't really feel depressed even though all my friends have said I look more down than usual this week. Sure whatever.

For the first time in months, maybe even over a year, I'm bringing my teddy bear to bed.

It was a bad, bad day.

Hersheys wrote: »
    For the first time in months, maybe even over a year, I'm bringing my teddy bear to bed.

It was a bad, bad day.

Hi Hersheys, we all need a bit of comfort every now and again. Far better to cuddle up with your teddy than find comfort in all the wrong places. You have said you have tough weeks ahead so try be organised, do your mindfulness, eat well, get some exercise and give yourself a little treat every day. I know you know all of this already but I'm just reminding you because we all tend to forget the most important person when we're under pressure.

PM me if you need to talk.

S xx:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Nearly through another tough weekend. Three more shifts and off for a week.. Holding out for the break. It's been a rough time of late..

Hersheys, hope you slept last night, you'll need to keep your good habits going to help you through.

Hope the rest of ye are doing ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Got an interview tomorrow. Even though I'm not sure I even want the job, still feel like I'm going to throw up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

titan18 wrote: »
    Got an interview tomorrow. Even though I'm not sure I even want the job, still feel like I'm going to throw up

Best of luck with it Titan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement