Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Muslims asked to remove headscarves for new Garda card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

dlofnep wrote: »
    Proper order. Religion is not a get out of jail free card when it comes to observing law.

It is you're a pedo priest... oh you meant other religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Just check the Garda website and can see any info about this ...
    http://burkavision.co.uk/www.garda.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

But somehow your definition of freedom is forcing women to remove them? Nice!

So you agree with women being forced to wear blankets then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Ireland is a secular republic (apparently),outward expression of ANY religion shouldn't be fostered.

But then again it's Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

dirtyden wrote: »
    The purpose of an ID card is to uniquely identify the owner. I do not see how that is possible with a Hijab on. Unless another unique identifier is associated with the ID like a retinal scan or fingerprint that can be easily read by wherever needs the ID I am afraid I dont see how the Garda could sanction the ID.

If the Islamic council comes up with a workable solution then fair enough, until then they should abide by the law of the land.

LINK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Ireland is a secular republic (apparently),outward expression of ANY religion shouldn't be fostered.

But then again it's Ireland.

So the grannies going to mass on a Sunday should have their crosses and beads taken off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

....Unsurprising considering the amount of nouveau wannabe right-wingers/brow-beating athiests you find in AH these days.

Oh Yeah! Bring back De Valeras 1950's Ireland! Put them all living with de nuns and de brothers...Then we wouldn't have this problem! Simples

So the grannies going to mass on a Sunday should have their crosses and beads taken off them?

Yes unless on church property,just look at the rest of the secular republics in western Europe.

Yes unless on church property,just look at the rest of the secular republics in western Europe.

Yeah France.. fine example there. What you're talking about borders on fascism.

Yeah France.. fine example there. What you're talking about borders on fascism.

No it's being a secular republic.Read a book.

• Advertisement

No it's being a secular republic.Read a book.

Just any book?

What will banning all outward displays of religion in Ireland achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Pataman wrote: »
    They should be made remove it. If they are stopped at the side of the road the garda has no way of checking fingerprints.

How does a head scarf matter? Should a woman who has long hair when the photo is taken not be allowed cut her hair or dye it in the future as she will no longer look exactly the same as the photo? Nonsense argument and showing the true colours of the anti-Islam posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

How does a head scarf matter? Should a woman who has long hair when the photo is taken not be allowed cut her hair or dye it in the future as she will no longer look exactly the same as the photo? Nonsense argument and showing the true colours of the anti-Islam posters.

Its not about being anti-anything. Hair is natural, head scarves or other face-masks are not.

You are required to remove a helmet as a cyclist when entering a bank, thats given you remove it for passport pictures.

In terms of ant-anything. Whats this headline say to Irish people?

Islamic terrorists issue threat against Jedward ahead of Eurovision - http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/islamic-terrorists-issue-threat-against-jedward-ahead-of-eurovision-3080269.html

dublin daz wrote: »
    Its not about being anti-anything. Hair is natural, head scarves or other face-masks are not.

You are required to remove a helmet as a cyclist when entering a bank, thats given you remove it for passport pictures.

But if a woman has long black hair when the photo is taken, and then she cuts it short and dyes it blond, she will look totally different. A woman wearing a head scarf would be more recognisable.
    In terms of ant-anything. Whats this headline say to Irish people?

Islamic terrorists issue threat against Jedward ahead of Eurovision - http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/islamic-terrorists-issue-threat-against-jedward-ahead-of-eurovision-3080269.html
    What has this got to do with anything? Please tell me the relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

But if a woman has long black hair when the photo is taken, and then she cuts it short and dyes it blond, she will look totally different. A woman wearing a head scarf would be more recognisable.

What has this got to do with anything? Please tell me the relevance.

I don't know how to multi-quote.

1. How can changing the colour of your hair be equated with concealing your face behind a mask or covering it under a scarf? Is wearing a head-scarf like someone undergoing radiotherapy losing his or her hair, ultimately changing his or her appearance?

2. You are pulling the anti-Islam card. No one said anything about being anti-Islam. Irish people in general don't have a problem with Islam or Muslims.

The reason I posted that was to highlight where a source of this alleged anti-Islam sentiment may stem. When Europeans are referred to as scum, it can hardly promote friendly relations. So it can hardly be a surprise *if* there is a perceived anti-Islam sentiment.

I don't know how to multi-quote.

1. How can changing the colour of your hair be equated with concealing your face behind a mask or covering it under a scarf? Is wearing a head-scarf like someone undergoing radiotherapy losing his or her hair, ultimately changing his or her appearance?

If the Muslim woman is wearing a head scarf when the photo is taken, she will looks the same in the photo as in real life wearing the scarf. Are you telling me it is impossible to identify a person if their hair is concealed with a scarf?
    2. You are pulling the anti-Islam card. No one said anything about being anti-Islam. Irish people in general don't have a problem with Islam or Muslims.

The reason I posted that was to highlight where a source of this alleged anti-Islam sentiment may stem. When Europeans are referred to as scum, it can hardly promote friendly relations. So it can hardly be a surprise *if* there is a perceived anti-Islam sentiment.

Did you ever hear the expression don't believe everything you read in the papers. It amazes me that a grown adult would take that "article" seriously. The headline is seriously misleading, there was no threat specifically against Jedward. In fact there is no proof or source of where the so called "threat" came from. Lazy lazy reporting, just trying to sell papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

WHAT THE HELL!? My photo got rejected because my fringe was sligggggggghtly in the way, how are they getting away with this?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Muslim women are not forced to wear Hijab, the the Quran states that there is no compulsion within the religion to wear it(2:256). They wear it to be seen as modest women. If a woman who had undergone chemotherapy or had alopecia wanted to wear a headscarf for this photo I.D would it be allowed?
    I have no problem with their religious beliefs and believe everyone has the right to their religion but on this occasion feel that the hijab should be removed for the short period of time it would take for the photo to be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I didn't read the whole thread. It's late. I got to page 2 and skipped to the end.
    But as someone at the beginning said, it's not necessary to remove the headscarve for passport photo's.

The reason is because it doesn't stop them from being identified. This isn't a full burka. It covers just their hair.

For many muslims it's an important part of their culture. This is ireland. It's not Kemal Ataturks Turkey where soldiers went out into the streets and tore scarves and veils from womens faces. Here people are allowed to express their culture so long as it's within the bounds of the law. In this case no law was broken. It wasn't the law (unless you refer to the gardai as the "law") that forced these women to remove the hijab, it was a stupid regulation.

In my telling women what not to wear is as bad as telling them what to wear.

@mishkalucy. Muslims follow not just the Koran but hadiths too. Just as christians don't just follow the bible.

I'm not sure why you're referencing that sura in respect to this argument
    There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in Tâghût and believes in God (ar. Allah), then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break. And God is All-Hearer, All-Knower.

I would think this is more relevant and does actually state that women should cover themselves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab#Qur.27an

(I know people are going to jump on it and say that women shouldn't have to wear anything. What I'm saying is that if they choose to wear a hijab and it's an integral part of their religion/culture, then they should be allowed the same religious freedom others have. I mean, you don't hear of Sikh men being called oppressed or being prevented from wearing turbans)

@ Grayson
    I have no problem whatsoever with them wearing whatever they like and as you stated that they "should" not must wear the hijab.
    You didn't comment on the part off my post as to the women being allowed wear scarves for other elements of modesty ie baldness.
    I referenced that as that was what I found when reading up before posting tonight, nothing more, nothing less as I don't claim to be an expert in sharia law:)
    Surely though you can accept that for a couple of minutes in a photo booth would not cause them to become harlots or any less of a muslim woman?

• Advertisement

@ Domo
    You can become a Naga Mystic and never have to wear clothes again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

MajorMax wrote: »
    If I appear for an official photograph in my pirate costume, I'm a committed Pastafarian (Reformed), I would treat any attempt to remove my Parrot or eye patch as a breach of my religious rights

^This.
    Twenty odd pages ****ing on about a Sky-Wizard-influenced dress code being more important than the law of the land?
    FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

More than a fifth of the word's population is muslim. You cannot antagonise such a large population of people. Especially when you hold many important political and economic interests with these countries.

51% of the population of the planet are female, you shouldn't antagonise them with archaic beliefs and practices. Especially when they make a fairly significant contribution to the survival of our species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Did you ever hear the expression don't believe everything you read in the papers. It amazes me that a grown adult would take that "article" seriously. The headline is seriously misleading, there was no threat specifically against Jedward. In fact there is no proof or source of where the so called "threat" came from. Lazy lazy reporting, just trying to sell papers.

Wow, what a fine example of critical thaught. You asked for evidence of wild conjecture.

Apply to religion;
    Did you ever hear the expression don't believe everything you read in the Koran/Bible/Torah/Bhagavad Gita. It amazes me that a grown adult would take that "book" seriously. The book is seriously misleading. In fact there is no proof or source of where the so called "book" came from. Lazy lazy explaination of the natural order, just trying to sell magic beans.

Congrats on becoming an athiest or at the very least agnostic :pac:

Sorry for the double.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

I have no problem respecting people and their culture/religion, be it what it is. But it's annoying that the rules would not be bent if I was in a muslim country. But it is expected that rules are broken here or else "discrimination and racism" is shouted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

When people come to this country to avail of everything this society has to offer it is only fair that they play by the rules of it and make some compromises.

mishkalucy wrote: »
    @ Grayson
    I have no problem whatsoever with them wearing whatever they like and as you stated that they "should" not must wear the hijab.
    You didn't comment on the part off my post as to the women being allowed wear scarves for other elements of modesty ie baldness.
    I referenced that as that was what I found when reading up before posting tonight, nothing more, nothing less as I don't claim to be an expert in sharia law:)
    Surely though you can accept that for a couple of minutes in a photo booth would not cause them to become harlots or any less of a muslim woman?

Baldness is different to religious belief. (Although it does bring up a thought. if a man/woman is bald and wears a wig permanently, do they need to keep it on or off. And I don't mean for modesty, I mean for identification purposes. I know if you wear glasses permanently and they're clear, you can wear them in passport photo's).

See, for a muslim woman who wears a hijab, it is part of their religion. It's not just about modesty. It is part of their religious dress. It would be like forcing a nun who's taken a vow of silence to talk or making a cloistered order walk outside everyday.

Plus on the modesty aspect, they're used to it. Taking it off does make them feel crappy. Imagine how you'd feel if you had to have an ID photo taken in your bra.
    Now if it were necessary for legal or practical reasons because for some reason we used nipples to identify women that would be one thing. But we don't, so there's no actual reason to make them do it. It's the same in this case. When there's no legal or practical reason, the only reason we have for doing it is to force them to abide by our rules for the sake of the rules.
    And that's as wrong countries that make women wear particular clothes because it's the rule in that country.

Do you see what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭tigger123

I have no problem respecting people and their culture/religion, be it what it is. But it's annoying that the rules would not be bent if I was in a muslim country. But it is expected that rules are broken here or else "discrimination and racism" is shouted out.

What have the laws/rules/regulations in an entirely different country got to do with the rules which the Irish State apply here? Should all legislation be thought up on a tit-for-tat basis? I think you're missing the point entirely. :)

tigger123 wrote: »
    Should all legislation be thought up on a tit-for-tat basis?

Yes it should. But only when it's funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭tigger123

Grayson wrote: »
    Yes it should. But only when it's funny.

As long as it's for comedic value, I'll roll right in behind that :pac:

Advertisement