Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Well its a Start

Options
  • 07-05-2009 7:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭

http://transitiontownkenmare.wordpress.com/

Seems Kenmare have started the Transition Town Initiative

any other towns/villages in Ireland doing it

Kenmare have advanced to the point of printing their own FIAT Currency

The Youro
    youro-notice-for-web.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't like the idea of having "Specimen" printed all over my money though. :P

And it kind of reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they go to Itchy and Scratchy land and Homer trades his money for Itchy and Scratchy money which "works just like regular money, but it's, er..."fun". Once he gets inside all the shops have signs saying "We do not accept Itchy and Scratchy money." I can see this happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

OK the Itchy and Scratchy Comparison has come up before.

However did anyone here ever work in an office that did

BONUS BONDS
    http://www.bonusbond.ie/bdr-emp2/bonusbond/home.xhtml

when I worked in Cherrywood the Large US firm what I showed up at every mornin would award Tax Free 'Bonus Bonds' which could be spent in participating businesses around the city, nearly everywhere that I wanted to spend them I could. they were also redeemable at a cost for Cash.

course they were also Redeemable in most of the Bars I frequented, and 'one of the guys' had 'heard a report' that a few of the knockshops would take them too :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Is this perhaps better suited to Green Issues, Economics or Politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

bonkey wrote: »

I was just going to say the same.... where's the CT in this????

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Call me pessimistic, but I'd assume it's some sort of con to screw people out of their money. OK, it's not up their with JFK or 9/11, but it is Ireland and it's rare that anyone in a public office would do anything to benefit the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

robtri wrote: »
    I was just going to say the same.... where's the CT in this????

there is nothing its a way of keeping business local. read about it a few weeks ago and you can change your money for it but its only accecptable in local business etc.

its a good idea but needs everyones support and must be a nightmare to admin it but good luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I like the name 'Youro'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

I think MC is following up on some of the economics threads that have appeared here before when transition towns and "local currency"were mentioned.

Advertisement