Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New post codes not accepted on Ebay

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

My account is historically on the UK system, and it's taking the correct Eircodes on the UK site also,

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It works partly on ebay now.

They specifically have an Eircode field now for the main registration address which is great. However if you need to add or update a credit card, the postcode field in that form won't accept the Eircode!

Also I have to say ebay's site handles Irish addresses really isn't very good. You have to put in both City and County, so yet end up with silly looking addresses like this:

Dublin, Dublin, D0X XXXX

Paypal also accepts the Eircode now and handles Irish addresses much better, with only one Dublin, etc.

Amazon also accepts Eircodes and like paypal, no silly need for separate city and county.

I'm not sure if any of them are really supporting Eircodes, in terms of actually validating the format of the Eircode and even going further and matching the Eircode with the address entered. It more feels like they just relaxed the validation on the Postcode field.

Having said that it definitely helps to add the Eircode included. I've had packages where the first line of the address got damaged, so the package made it to the local sorting office, but couldn't be delivered. If the Eircode is at the bottom of the address, then it adds an extra way for them to find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

bk wrote: »
    IAlso I have to say ebay's site handles Irish addresses really isn't very good. You have to put in both City and County, so yet end up with silly looking addresses like this

Dublin, Dublin, D0X XXXX

It does the same for UK addresses.

You end up with an address like London, Greater London or York, Yorkshire or Liverpool, Merseyside etc etc.

County names have not been required by Royal Mail or the UK Post Office for years, and in cases like York, Liverpool, London and other major towns and cities, were never required.

I think it's because ebay was originally configured to handle US addresses which require a state to be entered, and whoever adapted it for use in the UK and Ireland decided that counties were the nearest equivalent to US states.

Advertisement