Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar geometry and other apps

• 11-12-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

Even though we haven't got to the shortest day of the year yet, yesterday was the earliest sunset. The evenings get later from today on, although the sunrise will keep getting later too for more than another fortnight, so the days are still shortening.

I was thinking -- if the sunrise keeps getting later, does the sun keep rising further and further to the south? So what about Newgrange, then? If you can't get in to see the spectacle on the solstice, can you meet the sun "on the way back" a week or so later? No, as it turns out. The solstice is the day of the most southerly azimuth of sunrise.

If you're like me, the answer is not necessarily intuitive! Not for the first time, I remarked on how bloody complicated solar geometry can be, given that it's just one ball bearing whizzing round another. But I found this fab applet on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's website:

http://astro.unl.edu/naap/motion3/animations/sunmotions.html

So neat! I think the little stick figure's shadow is a lovely touch. And it turns out there's a whole collection of astronomy related simulation applets. I haven't looked at them all, but if they're as good as the solar geometry one, they will be fantastic visualisations, not just for novices.

http://astro.unl.edu/naap/

Advertisement