Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭gnolan

Have you got any details on what OS / Browser you're on?

Safari and Mac OSX 10.7.4

EDIT: Also Firefox 12.0

EDIT 2: Apologies, only Firefox, it works in Safari

• Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can we get the Post Quick Reply / Go Advanced buttons switched, as well as the Post Reply / Preview buttons when replying in advanced mode?

Annoying to have to tab twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

That is Lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

That is Lovely :)

it so pretty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

gnolan wrote: »
    Safari and Mac OSX 10.7.4

EDIT: Also Firefox 12.0

EDIT 2: Apologies, only Firefox, it works in Safari

Yeah my issues seem to only be in firefox too on ubuntu 11.1. Using Chrome and all is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Does it come in black?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Much easier to navigate around your forums and following threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

awec wrote: »
    Can we get the Post Quick Reply / Go Advanced buttons switched, as well as the Post Reply / Preview buttons when replying in advanced mode?

The buttons were swapped to bring them in line with usability standards. i.e. the buttons you're referring to, the primary action is the right button and the secondary action the left button. Also, the colours reflects this throughout the site. The Blue button is the primary action and the grey the secondary.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The buttons were swapped to bring them in line with usability standards. i.e. the buttons you're referring to, the primary action is the right button and the secondary action the left button. Also, the colours reflects this throughout the site. The Blue button is the primary action and the grey the secondary.

T.

Not with the Post Reply / Follow buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Grunching but I don't like where "My Forums" have been moved to in the drop downs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

laugh wrote: »
    Does it come in black?

It might, not until the white version is completely finished though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

awec wrote: »

As outlined before in the OP, the primary button will be blue and appear on the right hand side. What can be changed is the tab indexes so it'll go in order.

I think followed threads needs to be moved to my forums. I have "60" in the header which covers both pm's and followed threads. I always have unread threads so you dont actually know you have a pm until you go check pretty much. Think it would be better if followed threads we left part of my forum which links to it anyway. Just confused the thing in the user drop down menu.

smash wrote: »
    Not with the Post Reply / Follow buttons.

True, not in terms of position, but yes in terms of colour. These are the exception to the rule in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Seems nippy.......... and that's a good thing in bog land.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

LordSmeg wrote: »
    I think followed threads needs to be moved to my forums.

How does this make any sense? "My forums", oh it's got threads too. They're completely different things. My forums doesn't link in any way to Followed Threads. If you don't want 60 notifications, go into your subscriptions folder & unsubscribe or mark them all as read :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭DJMG92

Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I like the new theme overall but I think that the menu would be alot better if it auto expanded on hover rather than having to click through all the sections.

How does this make any sense? "My forums", oh it's got threads too. They're completely different things. My forums doesn't link in any way to Followed Threads. If you don't want 60 notifications, go into your subscriptions folder & unsubscribe or mark them all as read :pac:

It links to Latest posts/my forums/my threads. Click it and see, its amazing. :eek:

Plus I dont want to bother unsubbing every thread I ever posted in to know I have pm's. Thats just ridiculous lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

I DONT LIKE IT
    lb01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I really don't :(
    I love the current view, it is nice and clean looking I'm give you that but it just seems too big? and I'm viewing it on a 30" monitor
    plus my menu system for the forums...I hate having to click to see the subforums.
    Bring back the hover!!!! it seems to work intermittently alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

LordSmeg wrote: »
    It links to Latest posts/my forums/my threads. Click it and see, its amazing. :eek:

Plus I dont want to bother unsubbing every thread I ever posted in to know I have pm's. Thats just ridiculous lol.

Then just hover over the notification and check if you have a 1 beside private messages. What is the point in a notification if you don't want it to notify you? To this end, your followed threads serve absolutely no purpose, you're not following any more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

For those who can't unsticky the header have you... erm tried turning it off and on again :P The browser that is, worked for me.

ps I hate change, probably prefer the older skin and I hope the option to keep it/revert back is given to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Great work, first time I'd choose a different skin in 10 years to the old one I've been using.
    Big thumbs up.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

imo its too blocky i like have the corners rounded on the button, someone mentioned its 90's looking, it does look like an older layout even though its the new one. its confusing.

i prefer the submit button on the left and the preview on the right,

i also prefer 'my forums' in the top header, the new one looks like you are trying too hard to fill the page,

i think id rather see when i get a pm than the number of threads i follow, i keep thinking i have 31 pm's and its annoying.

navigating wise i tried it there for 30 minutes which i know isn't long when you have had years of being used to this layout, but its more than just not feeling right, its almost a hassle to go through my usual boards browsing in the ways i browse. Maybe the colours and layout have more to do with that.

the old one is more pretty, easier on the eyes i suppose! :pac:

i personally don't like it, its too bold, blocky and harsh.

tommycahir wrote: »
    I like the new theme overall but I think that the menu would be alot better if it auto expanded on hover rather than having to click through all the sections.

Honestly, we had tested this, got rid of it, went back to it and tested it again. In our usability testing, it proved very unfriendly to have things auto expand as you navigated around. Links etc.. kept moving and it was causing a lot of confusion.

What's there at the moment went through extensive testing and is the 4th version of the menu and the once that got the best / most positive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Spear wrote: »
    I don't like how it's so much narrower and a lot of screen space is wasted.

+10000000000000

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Any chance all links could be converted to https when already accessing the site via https?

As it stands I can navigate the site using https until I click on certain links and it reverts to unencrypted.

Then just hover over the notification and check if you have a 1 beside private messages. What is the point in a notification if you don't want it to notify you? To this end, your followed threads serve absolutely no purpose, you're not following any more

The fact I have to go hover to check if I have pm's makes the useless as a notification.

Anyone who subs to thread will constantly have notifications there. Which I assume is every single person on the site. So as a notification its absolutely pointless for the most part.

The followed thread do serve a purpose as I'm still following them so I want them in my list of followed threads but I dont need constant reminders people still post in them which obscure notifications I actually do want to be informed of.

Its pointless to have it there when its part of the my forums/my threads thing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Is it safe to assume that all that excess space on the sides will now be used for advertisements?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement