Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Over 5 euro for a pint in Ireland How do we Stop this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Diageo charge RoI pubs more than they charge in the UK.

Every though the beer is brewed here.

Not much we can do, except don't buy their beer.

My nearest pub has Beamish on special at 3.00, Guinness is 3.75.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

RoboRat wrote: »
    http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/4742

You only need to look at it logically, a youth gets X amount in pocket money and its costing more than what they are getting to buy 20 smokes so they (a) steal the money or (b) bum the off friends, (b) may occur but when the price of cigarettes are so high the likelihood of their being given away is lessened. Bottom line is that it makes them more inaccessible for younger people and therefore reduces the chances of younger people buying them and getting hooked.

or (c) Chip in and buy ciggs, (d) buy box of amber leaf rollies for €4.20. If a youth wants to try smoking, they will, regardless of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Geuze wrote: »
    The two main brewers charge more here than in the UK.

They have market power, pricing power, due to less competition.

In the same way as Bulmers said they will make less profit in NI as they face more competition there.

What can we do?????

Break Diageo in two and hope the two parts compete against each other??

We shouldn't have let Heineken buy Beamish.

Another solution is to deregulate the pub licencing system. This would work.
    Michael Mc Dowel attempted this a few years back but was shot down by the strong pub lobby.

At the moment is that there is a conception that if you are a publician you must get rich from it. Make a decent living should be a publicians aspirations.
    More pubs = fairly priced beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Africa wrote: »
    +1 for O Reillys. The business they get is great too.

Boycott the Lombard on Pearse Street ourseves as they charger over a 5er for a pint, and 'deal' is 3 bottles for a tenner.

As for the Paris bit, youve missed one critical bit; Beers there are about 12% content, so you literally will need 2 pints to feel the power ;)

That wouldn't be true:pac:. The previous poster would be correct with the in and around 10/11 for a pint, as I have been stung with it myself, but these were for a standard 5% beverage. I do think the measurement was a little bit more than a pint though. The price comes down if you sit at the bar! It's funny that the more privileged a seating arrangement you acquire/or are forcefully placed by the m'aitre d -a window seat with an average view - the price of your drink goes up.

My friend was in Geneva recently and a bottle of whatever lager there was 8.50 or so. For 330mls!

• Advertisement

Note that typical Pils and lager in Paris is 5 % approx, not 12%. I paid 5.50 in Paris in Oct for 500ml. But it is very easy to pay more. I saw 12 euro for 50cl in the hotel.

Liberalising the licensing system might help a bit.

But how do we prevent the two main brewers charging more than abroad? Hard to know, they have a dominant position.

Much more competition in UK due to many regional brewers.

One solution is for pubs to form bulk buying groups and take power from the brewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Perhaps its where you go, but I was in the touristy bit just south of Notre Dame, and they were definitely 11 or 12% beers I was paying a tenner for. I guess its where you go eh?

Seriously though.

http://www.causes.com/causes/657986-price-of-a-pint-in-ireland-and-the-declining-pub-trade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

madanall wrote: »
    McGoverns in Gorey....2.50 euro for a pint of Tennants....Hard to beat that !!
    hard to drink too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/4742

You only need to look at it logically, a youth gets X amount in pocket money and its costing more than what they are getting to buy 20 smokes so they (a) steal the money or (b) bum the off friends, (b) may occur but when the price of cigarettes are so high the likelihood of their being given away is lessened. Bottom line is that it makes them more inaccessible for younger people and therefore reduces the chances of younger people buying them and getting hooked.

Fair enough, can't argue with cold hard facts! :D On a subjective note, as someone what started smoking as an employed adult (wait for onslaught), I resent paying more for my cigarettes just to prevent youths from starting - they legally should not be smoking anyway so why not put more strict measures in place to ensure cigarettes are not sold to minors? Completely unrealistic I know... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

i can and will never understand people paying more than 4.50/5e max for a drink :eek: ive done that in the past and tbh its just ridiculous, if your heading out for a night out especially!
    theres so many bars out there now that are nice places, good atmosphere, great music, something going on, and very cheap beer :D, i mean i have a mate who will usually say "nah im not going there, dont like it, too dark, musics crap etc etc " and only drinks certain drinks, expensive imho! more power to her i say if thats what she wants, but i just say now when/if going for drinks with her, im willingly to compromise on where we go but the only thing im going by is that its cheap drinks and not pay in unless its really cheap drink :)

i never understand people who, for some reason, seem to want to pay more?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Meh,

Beer in 'Trendy pubs' is about on par with the Continent IMO.

4.80 for a 400ml Glass of Guinness in Duesseldorf
    4.50 for a 500ml Glass of Bier in Eindhoven

Some places in Amsterdam your paying upwards of 8 euro for a 500ml Bier.

Same as anywhere, you can go to places in Cork or Dublin that are much cheaper if you know where they are.

Czech Republic and Poland have about the cheapest i've seen for as low as 2 euros for a 500ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Fair enough, can't argue with cold hard facts! On a subjective note, as someone what started smoking as an employed adult (wait for onslaught), I resent paying more for my cigarettes just to prevent youths from starting - they legally should not be smoking anyway so why not put more strict measures in place to ensure cigarettes are not sold to minors? Completely unrealistic I know...

Same as putting a minimum price on beer in offies to stop abuse. I have a drink every now and then and I don't bother going to a pub as I don't feel its worth the price. I will now have to pay through the snot for my occasional bottle of wine, is that fair, no, but as was once said to me... 'Life is not fair and the sooner you realise it, the better off you'll be'

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

O.k some pubs do serve cheap pints only cause they are forced too.

By How can we as irish people stop this..

Any Ideas ?
    How are these pubs 'forced' to sell cheap pints? I think you might already have one idea about what people can do...

Same as putting a minimum price on beer in offies to stop abuse. I have a drink every now and then and I don't bother going to a pub as I don't feel its worth the price. I will now have to pay through the snot for my occasional bottle of wine, is that fair, no, but as was once said to me... 'Life is not fair and the sooner you realise it, the better off you'll be'

They really are determined to leave us with nothing :mad: I love a good four euro bottle of pinot grigio, a box of fags and a natter...sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Crough's Pub in Inchicore have all pints at 3.30 all day long.The place is never empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

It would be interesting to see a break down of the taxes imposed on both pints.

I know I found electronics to be grossly overpriced in Ireland compared to the US - but I realized I was paying 0% sales tax in the US while, in Ireland, the VAT on the same item was something like 21%.

It's not just the sales tax/VAT to consider but whatever other taxes or requirements that a business must meet. For example, you might want to look at the minimum wage they have to pay their staff or whatever contributions they have to make to pensions or payroll taxes or whatever.

For the items I've looked into, I've discovered that the 'rip-off' is really nothing more than higher taxes and higher operating costs. The rip-off is self-imposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Yea it's a joke. We are a nation of self absorved idiots when it comes to pricing, we have a certain sence of arrogance.

There's no need to be making a mark up of 40 - 50% on everything.

We need the likes of Weatherspoons over here.

Ever looked at the cost of running a pub. 40% mark up and you wouldn't last a week.

Weatherspoons looked at Ireland many times, but couldn't see any value. Their policy of crap service and second class food offerings just wouldn't work here.

Also, last wetherspoons I went to charged £3.30 for a pint of ale. (Coventry approx 6 weeks ago)

Pubs in london regularly charge £4+ per pint of muck. In Paris, plenty charge €8+ per pint.
    In Dublin city you can find plenty of pubs that charge €4 for pints. No-one forces you into the expensive pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Slightly Bit of topic,

Was in Boomers in clondalkin and as I and the person I was with don't drink got two pints of orange, E10.60 they where ,nearly fell through the chair.The barman kindly told us in future just to order water with a dash of blackcurrent.E1.00.

Just thought I would share that,going now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭elmossman

In my area quite a few places do Tuborg and Bavaria larger for €3

Also there is a good disco/bar that does €2 a drink on a Monday and its a great night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Yea it's a joke. We are a nation of self absorved idiots when it comes to pricing, we have a certain sence of arrogance.

There's no need to be making a mark up of 40 - 50% on everything.

We need the likes of Weatherspoons over here.

A mark up of 40 - 50% would be a price drop in price in many instances.

I used to work in a shop part-time in my teens, and the minimum price was calculated by multiplying cost price by 2.2

Says it all really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

realies wrote: »
    Slightly Bit of topic,

Was in Boomers in clondalkin and as I and the person I was with don't drink got two pints of orange, E10.60 they where ,nearly fell through the chair.The barman kindly told us in future just to order water with a dash of blackcurrent.E1.00.

Just thought I would share that,going now.

so the bar staff, chairs, tables, heating, glasses all come free to the pub as does the rent and rates.

Its like saying a hamburger from the butcher casts me 80c, so why should I pay €3.80 in mcdonalds?

in this case you ordered 2 x double servings of bottled soda and were charged accordingly.
    eoin_mcg wrote: »
    A mark up of 40 - 50% would be a price drop in price in many instances.

I used to work in a shop part-time in my teens, and the minimum price was calculated by multiplying cost price by 2.2

Says it all really!

same applies to most fashion / comparison goods retailers worldwide. Guess where your wages came from???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I don't mind paying around 5 for a nice IPA or weiss but for the regular pints 4 is enough.
    Whenever I'm not drinking it's tapwater for me. Soft drinks are a way bigger ripoff gnerally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dont and never have had access to the figures but I would reckon that as previously mentioned the profit margin on soft drinks is far higher than that on alcohol.
    Thats the biggest rip off in the pub in my opinion. 3+ euro for a smaller than a few years ago bottle of coke or lucozade (pub size, pub price)

It says a lot, that with all the talk of alcohol being too cheap in supermarkets, and wanting to get people back to the pub, that almost nothing has been mentioned about the options in a pub for a person who doesn't fancy drinking alcohol.

sandin wrote: »
    so the bar staff, chairs, tables, heating, glasses all come free to the pub as does the rent and rates.

Its like saying a hamburger from the butcher casts me 80c, so why should I pay €3.80 in mcdonalds?

in this case you ordered 2 x double servings of bottled soda and were charged accordingly.

same applies to most fashion / comparison goods retailers worldwide. Guess where your wages came from???

What about the fact that the publican probably bought the soft drinks for a fraction of what he pays for his alcohol? Nobody is saying that we should pay the same in a pub as a grocery store - we are aware of overheads - but to charge over ten euro for two glasses of orange? What kind of overheads are we looking at? :rolleyes: There is also the point that we are constantly being told we are drinking too much as a nation, going over our "unit limit", drink driving campaign etc and yet...soft drinks are the same price as their alcoholic counterparts? Where's the incentive? Do they really want designated drivers? Do they really want people to cut down? or is it (like the tobacco tax) just extra money slapped onto the price in the name of prevention but is actually just another way to fleece the consumer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

sandin wrote: »

in this case you ordered 2 x double servings of bottled soda and were charged accordingly

I wouldn't say paying over 10 euro for two bottles of orange is being charged accordingly,its a total rip off & even though the bar man was nice enough we wont be going back there again for food or drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

THIS is why I have to drink 70cl of captain morgans before I head on a night out. It's giving me liver failure but I'd rather die than pay 5 euro a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

what most people dont know that to make a pint of beer it costs less then 0.10c per litre :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Geuze wrote: »
    One solution is for pubs to form bulk buying groups and take power from the brewers.

Ironically, that would probably be regarded as cartel-like behaviour.

It'd never work anyway, who wants to drink in a pub with no Guinness? Apart from a small number of microbrewery pubs it'd never work.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Africa wrote: »
    Perhaps its where you go, but I was in the touristy bit just south of Notre Dame, and they were definitely 11 or 12% beers I was paying a tenner for.

So they told you the beer was as strong as wine, and you believed them??

Drinking 3 pints (~1.5L) of 4-5% beer in a couple of hours is no big deal, drink 2 bottles (~1.5L) of 12% wine per person in the same time and it'll be a memorable evening but probably not for the right reasons.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement