Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Festina lente

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

RayCun wrote: »
    8.63k in 38.31 (4.28 pace)

It's a much lonelier run than most road races. There were only about 50 runners(?), and you're not going to get people belting off and dying after a mile in a race like this. Plus it's a pretty flat course - a longish drag over the first 600m and a short steep downhill, but no real climbs. So it was just a lot of solo plodding really, trying not to drop too far behind the group ahead, checking the position of the guy behind me at the corners. The group in front broke up on the 3rd lap, and I passed the Donore guy halfway around the 4th, but that was about the extent of my racing :o

Well done - I take it your race was in Tymon. Cross country seems to attract just the hardcore runners - there's no place to hide!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, coming from road running onto XC (or track) is a real culture change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

But we beat Tallaght! In your face Woddle! :p

There seems to be a mistake in the results:

Your first runner is listed at 23rd but was actually 38th. This gives your team a score of 210 and means tallaght beat you.

In Your Face Raycun :p

Are you arguing with the judges? That's an immediate points deduction :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Are you arguing with the judges?

It'll be amended in the morning :D

• Advertisement

We had a runner in the top 30 who had to drop out with an injury. So, really, when you think about it, you'd be celebrating another runner getting injured. Shocking behaviour :(:(:(

8.79k in 52.18 (5.57 pace)

Recovery run home. Hip did not like that race yesterday :( Jogging along slowly is fine, but I can feel it as soon as I speed up (to cross a road, whatever) Plan was to do the first 5 mile training session this weekend, and the Donore 5k the following week, but there are question marks over both now...

kmtd:123.92

8.47k in 43.14 (5.06 pace)

First club session since the marathon...
    Hill session tonight - jogged up to Stocking Lane, and did up-3-lampposts-hard, down-one-lamppost recovery, all the way up to the top. Jogged down the other side towards Ballycullen, then ran hard all the way back up and down the other side. The jog back to the meeting point in Knocklyon then turned into a bit of a race :rolleyes:
    Hip is feeling a bit dodgy now, and was towards the end of the session, but I didn't feel it slowed me down, or got worse because of the run. Still don't know whether to run hard on the weekend, or enter the Jingle Bells :confused::confused::confused:

kmtd:132.39

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

. Still don't know whether to run hard on the weekend, or enter the Jingle Bells :confused::confused::confused:

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way :D

Sorry, too many Christmas ads on the tv, I've Christmas on the brain :)

8.63k in 52.42 (6.06 pace)

Recovery run into work. Hip muscles tender again :rolleyes: Decisions, decisions...

kmtd:141.02

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

8.63k in 52.42 (6.06 pace)

Recovery run into work. Hip muscles tender again :rolleyes: Decisions, decisions...

kmtd:141.02

Have you spoken to your doctor about a hip replacement?

It apparently gives you elderly a new lease of life.:D

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I started getting a niggle around my hip and to the front of my right leg leading to a loss of form/power at times

Getting old before your time?
    :pac:

Getting old before your time?
    :pac:

It would appear that way but I'm not a broken down old man yet, what's that like?

I'll be sure to let you know :)

11.93k in 65.12 (5.28 pace)

Easy run home. Added a lap of Bushy and another smaller park just to increase the distance a little. Hip still a bit iffy, so have settled on a plan - Saturday I'll try 3 x 1600 @ 5k pace. If I can get through that okay, if I can maintain the pace without the hip slowing me down, I'll enter the Jingle Bells 5k.

kmtd:152.95

8.75k in 46.55 (5.21 pace)

Easy run back into work.

kmtd:161.7

3.18k in 17.07 (5.23 pace)

Set up an interval workout and jogged up to Tymon for a warmup. Hip flared up as soon as I accelerated, so I stopped after a few hundred metres :(

6.55k in 35.24 (5.24 pace)

Cancelled the intervals, and just did an easy loop of Tymon and then home.

So, no Jingle Bells for me :(
    A pity, because I like the course, and I feel fine otherwise, in form for a PB. But it would slow me down, and I'd aggravate the problem. I've hit my 5k target for the year already, the smart thing to do is keep up the easy miles for the next few weeks so I'm in better shape for XC and Raheny.:(

kmtd:171.43

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah sorry to hear that Ray

That's a pity Ray.

The wise decision is not to race, with age comes wisdom! Someday I'll be as old and wise as you, but then you'll be older and wiser ;)

And after all the trouble I went to painting a target on the back of my singlet ;)

• Advertisement

And after all the trouble I went to painting a target on the back of my singlet ;)

I may not be racing myself, back with the Doctor yesterday waiting on blood tests. (Nothing Serious)

5.21k in 30.45 (5.54 pace)

Some gentle recovery running, to help clear yesterday's drink from the system, followed by some hip stretches

kmtd:176.64

9.67k in 51.57 (5.22 pace)

Easy run home...

kmtd:187.31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Pity about missing Jingle Bells Ray, probably would be smart for me to do the same but I didn't get to where I am now by making sensible decisions;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Pity about missing Jingle Bells Ray, probably would be smart for me to do the same but I didn't get where I am today by making sensible decisions;)

10.25k in 51.42 (5.03 pace)

Club session. 3k warmup to the end of Taylor's Lane, just before it joins Grange Road , where there's a uphill stretch of just under 400m. 6 runs up - average about 3.52 pace - with recovery jogs down, then a run back to my son's training session just in time to collect him.

eta - think it is cold enough to start wearing a hat and gloves, for the start of runs at least. And the hip wasn't too happy with tonight's run, probably the combination of cold and harder effort. I should probably take a rest day some time, but I'm enjoying this seven-day-a-week routine...

kmtd:197.56

9.98k in 58.51 (5.53 pace)

Recovery run into work. The Dodder was running high this morning, over the lipstick stones. Rather than get my feet wet crossing I doubled back along the river to the bridge, so my run was a bit longer than planned

kmtd:207.54

Month|2010|2011
    January|38.8|105.61
    February|35.5|106.68
    March|53.2|121.83
    April|72|106.33
    May|75.9|107.13
    June|90.2|64.85pacman.gif
    July|118.1|126.92
    August|124.4|168
    September|154|171.75
    October|108.7|191.2
    November|58.4|128.9
    December|83|
    Total|1012.2|

11.68k in 62.31 (5.21 pace)

Easy run home. Was feeling tired towards the middle of the run - this is day 12 of a running streak - but picked up again in the last few miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

11.68k in 62.31 (5.21 pace)

Easy run home. Was feeling tired towards the middle of the run - this is day 12 of a running streak - but picked up again in the last few miles.

Snap!

Ooh..now I really don't want to take a rest day tomorrow... :rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement

8.73k in 45.22 (5.11 pace)

Easy run into work. Picked up the pace on this one in the second half - I'm taking the next two days off to rest anyway* so I figured, why not?

kmtd: 20.41

*unless claralara sneaks out today to continue her streak

Advertisement