Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I T Tralee Bans Laptop Connectivity To Its' Lan

• 27-02-2004 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

This was the post on the web board this morning......

Hi All,
    Just getting back to everyone that raised issues in relation to the
    use of Laptop's & the Laptop policy. We have setup this policy for
    the following reasons:

1. There have been a number of calls on the helpdesk over the last few
    months about PC's not working etc due to the utp/network cables being
    plugged out. This is only a very small part of why we are now enforcing
    the laptop policy.

2. Viruses can be introduced to the networked through unmanaged
    PC's/laptops not belonging to the Institute. Some of these PC's/laptop
    don't even have anti-virus s/w or else it may not be upto to date. Again this is only
    another small part of the reason with the next two being our primary reasons.

3. Some of the operating systems used are not patched with all the
    necessary security updates. Also some of the Software on these devices may
    not be licensed.

4. If a device is compromised outside of the institute and it is then
    subsequently introduced to the IT Tralee network then the person(s) who
    comprised it has a backdoor into a the Institutes network once the device
    is connected which is our biggest concern.

Question: How many people have a personal firewall installed on their
    laptop? Have you seen the amount of attempted connections / hackers trying
    to access your Pc/laptop and this is just probably on a 56K line with low
    bandwidth. For those that don't have personal firewalls installed, god
    knows what has been uploaded / downloaded from them.

We are planning before the next academic year to roll out a Wireless
    network but this will take some planning and investigation into security
    issues and the best way of handling all eventualities.

Computer Services don't have a problem with laptops being used within the
    Institute and would actually encourage it but the above issues in relation
    to security are why we do not want student laptops plugged into the
    Institute's network. By all means use your laptops with whatever
    applications you have on them but if you need updates or other data from
    the network or Internet please use external storage media to get this data
    to your laptop.

Sorry For the Inconvenience caused but this is on current policy on laptop
    usage and in the interest of the security for others we do not currently
    allow laptops to be connected to the ITT Network so I'm afraid the policy stands.

Regards
    IT Manager

I think this is a joke... They won't even let me connect Linux / BSD to the network, even though they have iptables / ipchains and none of the windows viruses will spread through them... Also i need to have internet connectivity from my laptop in the college for my .net project for this year. What do you guys think I could argue with them about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 DigitalAngel

Yeah it sucks, but you can kinda see why they are doing it at the same time.

Personally, I'd be having a chat with my course leader about it, and explaining that the laptop is *nix, and not wins, which would minimise the whole virus risk going on.

If you get your course head or equiv on side, they might sort something out for you with IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm not that surprised to be honest. I'm in UCC and they're very strict about laptops here - I don't think undergrads are allowed use them (on the network) at all. They've had a lot of problems with people bring blaster and other viruses in from home so they have to be.

To get our laptos online (I'm a postgrad student) we usually have to state that the operating systems are fully patched, there's anti-virus software and a firewall in place and promise to update regularly.
    And we get in trouble if they're not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's obvious as to why they've done it, and as you can understand, making exceptions can cause a whole world of trouble.

Just AMOI, why do you need your lappie connected if it's a .net project? Or do you have the relevant apps running on FreeBSD?

I'm guessing that even though student's laptops have been stopped, staff and postgrads are still allowed. As said, speak to your course co-ordinator, see what strings he can pull. Friend of mine managed to get a machine put outside the main college firewall because there was trouble getting a network project to connect through it. So your college services will probably be willing to make exceptions where there is a grave and urgent need for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Cheers for the feedback. Seamus, i need the lappie connected because atm, the shipment of pocket pc's has not arrived here, so i have to use the emulator that comes with .net, the project uses web services such as googlesearch, it gets the headlines from slashdot and other tech news sites, contacting dedicated database servers on the LAN... Only one lab in the entire college has .net installed - and this lab is never free because there are always classes on there.. I do see where they are comming from - and i knew it was comming sooner or later, tbh if i was in charge it would have been brought in ages ago. Having said that i know they cannot discriminate i.e only let users with a clue use it.. but i do think that they should let students that have a genuine need for it, to be allowed. I have all of the necessary software in my windows xp install (zone alarm pro, latest security patches and my virus software is up to date too) and i don't use the laptop for internet connectivity outside of the college - so they have nothing to worry about from me. I've talked to my course leader and she says there is nothing she can do, but to keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Get them to allocate a section for laptops that they can firewall off from the rest of the college, but allow internet access.

In DCU, the computer applications school allow wireless access, but no wired. The Computer Services however have a section set aside for people to plug their laptops in via wires and also have a wireless network spanning the campus.

Gav

• Advertisement
Advertisement