Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Craig06 wrote: »
    In what cross race would you ever need a 34x32 let alone a 36x32??

3 Peaks or one with a lot of climbing. I had 34x32 on my cross bike for an Adventure Cross sportive - lots of climbing. Long cage rear mech isn't ideal for racing here, swapped it out after the sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

I have a couple of CX related questions...

46/36 up front versus 50/34 with 11-32. Is this about chain dropping and keeping a chain short? As in 34x32 is an easier spin than 36x32 which goes against how I thought the gearing would be set up! So it's about the chain during a CX "race"? rather than climbing par se?

I was just wondering the above but if anyone can enlighten me?

Second type question... A mate at work was looking into CX bikes for general use, not CX racing but maybe a bit of off road. He came across a bike that has a reasonable reputation, alloy with carbon forks.
    It's 10 speed, 50/34 - 11/32 SRAM apex with Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes (160mm). I think the 50/34 is FSA gear.

Has the Apex double tap system and Mavic XM319 - 32 Hole rims with 35mm tyres.

I had a look online and in a few shops in Dublin (online) and in one LBS and as far as I could see he was getting great value at 810 euro. It was reduced in a sale from just under 1,100.

Would people agree given the spec?

Boardman cx team?

Nearly bought one myself for racing, and afaik some people do race on them, but the external cables under the BB put me off. Grand as a multi-purpose road riding or dry cx race bike, but probably not ideal as a bike for racing in muddy races. Geometry is a little different to a cx bike too.

As for gearing, I wouldn't really worry a whole lot about that. A 46/36 is probably nicer as it's a much tighter gear range, and you don't really spin in a cx race, it's more about torque and low cadence. You're equally as likely to drop a chain on a 46/36 as a 50/34.

I think they were as low as €710 in a sale recently, very nearly bought one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

comete wrote: »
    Boardman cx team?

Nearly bought one myself for racing, and afaik some people do race on them, but the external cables under the BB put me off. Grand as a multi-purpose road riding or dry cx race bike, but probably not ideal as a bike for racing in muddy races. Geometry is a little different to a cx bike too.

As for gearing, I wouldn't really worry a whole lot about that. A 46/36 is probably nicer as it's a much tighter gear range, and you don't really spin in a cx race, it's more about torque and low cadence. You're equally as likely to drop a chain on a 46/36 as a 50/34.

I think they were as low as €710 in a sale recently, very nearly bought one then.

Cheers for the reply.

I think it is a Boardman CX Team. The reviews seems sound enough.
    I think he wants it as a seriously foul weather/winter bike rather than a CX type bike. It can take snow tyres etc.

I'll be safe enough telling him to pull the trigger so, post research. Plus he has the BTW too.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Just on cross bike gearing, how the hell my bike managed to shift flawlessly with this amount of crap on it in the last 2 races I'll neve know. This is a 46/36 Ultegra set up.

20151122_143417_zpsjfjmsfec.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Finally got he Glencullen Report finished, it's only been a month.
    It's probably not for the easily offended.
    http://www.lukegjpotter.com/2015/10/fixx-supercross-cup-2015-round-2_25.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Great read Luke well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crosswords

Newsflash

Route for Leinster Cross Champs now published....

Get your entries in.

https://www.facebook.com/Leinster-Cyclocross-Championships-2015-1562469803982123/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Finally got he Glencullen Report finished, it's only been a month.
    It's probably not for the easily offended.
    http://www.lukegjpotter.com/2015/10/fixx-supercross-cup-2015-round-2_25.html

Thanks Luke, that was a great read, loved the analogies.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

crosswords wrote: »
    Newsflash

Route for Leinster Cross Champs now published....

Get your entries in.

https://www.facebook.com/Leinster-Cyclocross-Championships-2015-1562469803982123/

I have ridden the new course and I challenge anyone to ride the big dipper without going "Wheeeeee". Last years tough run up through the muddy woods has been taken out which will be a relief to the gravitationally challenged like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ski Sunday section is subject to enough stakes and posts :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

midonogh wrote: »
    I have ridden the new course and I challenge anyone to ride the big dipper without going "Wheeeeee". Last years tough run up through the muddy woods has been taken out which will be a relief to the gravitationally challenged like myself.

And oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii as you hit the "jumps"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

stecleary wrote: »
    And oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii as you hit the "jumps"

Was helping clear the route today and some nice surprises where you land ;)
    Wear body armour ...,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

This is starting to sound like a BMX track.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

This is starting to sound like a BMX track.:)

So you say the BMX training session with the youths tomorrow might come in handy after all? Sweet! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Le jumps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I assume we'll be going down there? Need to find some massive curbs to practice.

Alek wrote: »
    I assume we'll be going down there? Need to find some massive curbs to practice.

Like the one's in the picture.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Muddy Cup in Cashel, anyone go down to race it today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Muddy Cup in Cashel, anyone go down to race it today?
    I was.
    Muddy cup lived up to it's name. Muddy and it rained sideways at times but fun all the same.
    Few big drops so personally ended up running a lot, when drier, all ridable tho. Loved this big puddle on tarmac part of the lap. You could ride through it at full belt and get rid of some clogged up mud.
    Organization bit higgly-piggly But lovely coffee and sambos at end made all the
    difference.

I had signed up to race, woke up at 7am heard the weather,so went back to sleep.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

you could talk yourself back into bed very easy on a day like today

inc21 wrote: »
    you could talk yourself back into bed very easy on a day like today

Fair play for getting out there in those conditions. Course certainly lived up to it's name going by the pictures. It was muddy enough last year, I'd say today was fun.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Surprised there wasn't a lot more locals there, i.e. from Cork, Kilarney etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Locals? Cashel's closer to Dublin than Killarney!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Will Lenny be at the Leinsters in Swords or does a drawda man like him feel he's not really part of Leinster (unlike a good Coolock lad)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Will Lenny be at the Leinsters in Swords or does a drawda man like him feel he's not really part of Leinster (unlike a good Coolock lad)
    If he pays me enough I'll find a space for him. If he pays me again I'll find 2 spaces. Now stop calling them your coolocks, lad.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Note the Killarney CX event has changed to Sunday 17th January at 9.30am.

Reason as a mark of respect to passing of our fellow club mate Ed Duggan.

Information on the Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/events/1486196998377772/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

You live 5 minutes down the road from me and we grew up 5 minutes away and went to the same school. Too much mulled wine perhaps? :)

lennymc wrote: »
    You live 5 minutes down the road from me and we grew up 5 minutes away and went to the same school. Too much mulled wine perhaps? :)

That's a no then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

That's a no then ;)

no

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement