Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

@ Hmmzis, what about the powertap p1 pedals, seem to be the easiest to swap between bikes and don't have the fiddly set up that the be pro or vectors have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

joey100 wrote: »
    @ Hmmzis, what about the powertap p1 pedals, seem to be the easiest to swap between bikes and don't have the fiddly set up that the be pro or vectors have.

seconded... I have the Vector S and the torqu'ing is the annoying part. and the P1's look to be very consistent from the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Thanks guys, they P1s are on my list but they are also by far the most expensive option, with the wiggle discount they would be 1228 eur plus a pair of road shoes for commuting/training. The p2m option is 738 including shipping and a new BB for the training bike. The trainer has 105 5700 on it while the racer has Rival 22 (gxp BB), that fact makes stages not an option and it's also just the left leg. My physio told me that I'm a bit lopsided when it comes to leg strenght therefore I'm staying away from single sided options.
    It also looks like there is a 90 day waiting list for the BePro pedals so that puts them right at the bottom of the list. Would preferably like to get something before the year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Thanks guys, they P1s are on my list but they are also by far the most expensive option, with the wiggle discount they would be 1228 eur plus a pair of road shoes for commuting/training. The p2m option is 738 including shipping and a new BB for the training bike. The trainer has 105 5700 on it while the racer has Rival 22 (gxp BB), that fact makes stages not an option and it's also just the left leg. My physio told me that I'm a bit lopsided when it comes to leg strenght therefore I'm staying away from single sided options.
    It also looks like there is a 90 day waiting list for the BePro pedals so that puts them right at the bottom of the list. Would preferably like to get something before the year is out.

most people will have a discrepancy in leg power between legs... i can see doing Step ups (at weights) that i can easily go 5-10kg more on my right compared to left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I have a P2M on my TT bike and at the start used to swap it between the my two bikes, in the end got sick of this and picked up a second hand one for the road TT bike. Absolutely nothing wrong with the P2M and I've had no problems at all with mine. Suppose you have to decide how important the track power data is to you, if it's more important than cx data and is it worth the extra money? Better off buying once and buying right than changing down the line. From what you say your looking for though the P1 pedals sound like the best fit.

• Advertisement

Good Black Friday deal on Power2Max. With the discount code you get the Praxis chainrings and bolts free. My pm came in at 707 eur with the rings and bolts delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Good Black Friday deal on Power2Max. With the discount code you get the Praxis chainrings and bolts free. My pm came in at 707 eur with the rings and bolts delivered.

That is a great price with those rings. Which crank (presume Gossamer) ?

Had mine now 2 years and even though can swap it quickly between winter/summer bike part of me [ but I'm resisting ;-) ] would like to get another one as I suspect frequent changing is not the best for the BB.

It's the SRAM speciffic one as I have the Rival 22 cranks already. Just need to order a new gxp bottom bracket for the training bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

Canyon have a pair of Garmin Vector 2 @ €990.95 today

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/accessories/#category=specials&subcat=T012

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

delynet wrote: »
    Canyon have a pair of Garmin Vector 2 @ €990.95 today

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/accessories/#category=specials&subcat=T012

they are for 12-15mm cranks so be careful to measure beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Etixx Quick Step riding with 4iiii in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Etixx Quick Step riding with 4iiii in 2016

Interestingly with an as yet unreleased dual sided "precision pro", though.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Cond0r wrote:
    Interestingly with an as yet unreleased dual sided "precision pro", though.

I bought the left sided unit in October. No issues to report to date and the power readings seem to be going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Am I correct in saying the Garmin Vector 2's still have reliability issues? Looking for a PM solution I can move easily between 2 bikes, just got my stages unit replaced due to the battery drain issue, they've sent me the new generation unit so that problem should be solved, I was thinking of selling it and going for the Vectors but I'm not reading overly positive reviews of them, just wondering if they're still dodgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Statler wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying the Garmin Vector 2's still have reliability issues? Looking for a PM solution I can move easily between 2 bikes, just got my stages unit replaced due to the battery drain issue, they've sent me the new generation unit so that problem should be solved, I was thinking of selling it and going for the Vectors but I'm not reading overly positive reviews of them, just wondering if they're still dodgy?

No issues with my Garmin Vector S

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

viperlogic wrote: »
    No issues with my Garmin Vector S

Thanks, couple of reviews I came across said there were problems with the readings dropping out or being obviously incorrect, good to know it's obviously not a consistent issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Statler wrote: »
    Thanks, couple of reviews I came across said there were problems with the readings dropping out or being obviously incorrect, good to know it's obviously not a consistent issue...

Reviews could be based on old firmware which did have such bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

This just appeared on my fb feed, Interesting !!
    http://www.brimbrothers.com

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This just appeared on my fb feed, Interesting !!
    http://www.brimbrothers.com
    Christ - they've been working on it for about 7 years now, and still not in production.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beasty wrote: »
    Christ - they've been working on it for about 7 years now, and still not in production.

Its a poor design I think. And that poor design has resulted in a lot of technical issues i.e. the design is practical to riding a bike

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

godtabh wrote: »
    Its a poor design I think. And that poor design has resulted in a lot of technical issues i.e. the design is practical to riding a bike
    Did a search and we've been talking about them for those 7 years. Throughout most of that time the product has been "promised" within a relatively short period, which is the current situation (think they started taking pre-orders about a year ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

They just look "clumsy" other pm's are far more discreet.

If they had been able to launch it say 4-5 years ago they may have stolen a march on a lot of newer entrants to the market. They made a big play on its transferability but they have been struggling big time to get it working. If and when it does finally turn up I suspect it will struggle to make much of an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Beasty wrote: »
    If they had been able to launch it say 4-5 years ago they may have stolen a march on a lot of newer entrants to the market. They made a big play on its transferability but they have been struggling big time to get it working. If and when it does finally turn up I suspect it will struggle to make much of an impact.

It's a good concept, if it works, what's their estimated pricing?

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's a good concept, if it works, what's their estimated pricing?
    It's on their website at US $999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

would it be worth a try at €440

From BrimBrothers e-mail:We will open for sales next Thurday 11th February, for shipping to USA, Canada, EU, Australia and New Zealand. Quantities for delivery in May will be limited so you will have to move quickly if you want to be one of the first to receive a Zone DPMX power meter. I will send you another email on Wednesday with full details on how to purchase. Initially, we will send that information only to you and others on the pre-order list to give you priority, but sales will open to others a few hours after launch.

I also want you to be the first to know that we will be offering a single sided version of the power meter, the Zone DPMX Single, with power measurement only on your left shoe. This is in addition to the full two sided Zone DPMX Dual. The new Single version will allow you to try out the Zone DPMX system at an affordable price with the possibility of upgrading to a full two sided system in the future. List prices will be €880 (about $990) for the Zone DPMX Dual, and €440 (about $495) for the Zone DPMX Single, but there will be special prices available for the first block of purchasers. Details next Thursday!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

inc21 wrote: »
    would it be worth a try at €440

From BrimBrothers e-mail:We will open for sales next Thurday 11th February, for shipping to USA, Canada, EU, Australia and New Zealand. Quantities for delivery in May will be limited so you will have to move quickly if you want to be one of the first to receive a Zone DPMX power meter. I will send you another email on Wednesday with full details on how to purchase. Initially, we will send that information only to you and others on the pre-order list to give you priority, but sales will open to others a few hours after launch.

I also want you to be the first to know that we will be offering a single sided version of the power meter, the Zone DPMX Single, with power measurement only on your left shoe. This is in addition to the full two sided Zone DPMX Dual. The new Single version will allow you to try out the Zone DPMX system at an affordable price with the possibility of upgrading to a full two sided system in the future. List prices will be €880 (about $990) for the Zone DPMX Dual, and €440 (about $495) for the Zone DPMX Single, but there will be special prices available for the first block of purchasers. Details next Thursday!

No. Better onsided options with a similar price tag out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If there is one thing I have learned about any new technology product is that unless it is free it is usually not worth the price to be a first round customer.

Not enough 'real-world' testing has been done. Its all well and good to have it lab tested, or tested by pro teams, but they have unlimited supplies, top mechanics, product people on call.

Have they tested the product on a cold, wet dirty Sunday morning on Sally Gap? Has it been tested on the crap roads we have, with the debris, the salt, the rain, oil, muck and other sh1te.

Has it been tested by being ridden on a Sunday and then not touched again until the following week cause your kids were sick, work was busy etc and you find the battery is drained, or the elements seized.

Either wait, (the price of all PM's is going down) or pick up one of the other 1 sided options that are available for a similar price but have been real world tested and faults found

Leroy42 wrote: »
    If there is one thing I have learned about any new technology product is that unless it is free it is usually not worth the price to be a first round customer.

Not enough 'real-world' testing has been done. Its all well and good to have it lab tested, or tested by pro teams, but they have unlimited supplies, top mechanics, product people on call.

Have they tested the product on a cold, wet dirty Sunday morning on Sally Gap? Has it been tested on the crap roads we have, with the debris, the salt, the rain, oil, muck and other sh1te.

Has it been tested by being ridden on a Sunday and then not touched again until the following week cause your kids were sick, work was busy etc and you find the battery is drained, or the elements seized.

Either wait, (the price of all PM's is going down) or pick up one of the other 1 sided options that are available for a similar price but have been real world tested and faults found

To be fair to them they did send out batches to be test by 'normal' cyclists about 18 months ago. Its these field tests that made them go back and look at the design. Its (or was) documented on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

godtabh wrote: »
    No. Better onsided options with a similar price tag out there now.

Is there such a thing as a good one side option?

Advertisement