Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is O'Driscoll Out?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

and maybe they could raffle a teddy bear afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

GDM wrote:
    Honestly having never seen Bayonne play (or in fact heard of them before this match) I wouldn't know.
    Bayonne would destroy Clontarf or Shannon with their B team...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

daveirl wrote:

Spoken like a true lock! (I was a lock years ago).

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. The hard, physical aspect to the game might inspire a bit of adrenaline amongst the team. Not necessarily for the backs, (big girls blouses that all backs are!) but for getting the blood up in the pack. It could also be a fantastic catalyst for BOD for the French match, and might inspire him to even greater things. I admit though that when I read the news last night I thought "Oh Sh1t".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Bayonne would destroy Clontarf or Shannon with their B team...

Fair eneogh , but they wouldn't have taken out our star player a few weeks before we are meant to play France in the World Cup -- all i can say is one word -- REVENGE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Not play the French?

Or the Kiwis.

GDM wrote:
    Honestly having never seen Bayonne play (or in fact heard of them before this match) I wouldn't know.

Bayonne is a charming little town in the Basque region of south west France, near Biarritz. i know this because I spent a fruitless hour or so at 7:30 in the morning there last year looking vainly for an Irish pub that might be showing the test from New Zealand. No such bloody luck. Irish pubs on the continent have similar opening times, if slightly later closing times, as they do here.

Bayonne has produced many famous players, the one I most remember being Patrice Lagisquet, the Bayonne Express, in the 1980s. He could shift through the gears, I tell you.

And of course Richard Dourthe will be familiar to many. He's the guy who was so fearsome in 1999 he made Tana Umaga chicken out of taking a catch simply by snorting in his direction.

Of course this means that as we are only taking seven three quarters and two of them will be crocked for the first match or two we are looking at backline options perming any four from Trimble, D'Arcy, Duffy, Carney and Hickie. Or you could throw in Murphy too but that leaves very scanty cover in the backline.

Could yet see David Wallace getting a run out in the centre in an Irish jersey.

Stranger things have happened....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

thankfully injury is not as first feared, hopefully BODs lack of match fitness wont be a huge issue in RWC given the fitness regime the squad have been through over last few months. I have to agree with other posters the decision to play a french provinical team so close to playing france was retarded. surely an irish xv should have been mustered up from players not going to wc and given them an game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

daveirl wrote:
    you must play for some clumsy assed team Dave!!!?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Punchbowl wrote:
    IThe flipside I suppose is that aty least he can't get any more injured before the France game!!

Haha al;ways look on the birght side I guess, very true bar a training injury or wardrobe malfunction he should be good for the France game, this may not have been the case knowing his look ) had he to take any part in possibly 3 more games til then!

It is unfortuanet that he will have only had Scot plus 60 mins game time maybe going into the France game though....

I know !! maybe they could line up Biarritz for some frinedly game time to get him up to speed in the meanwhile :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

daveirl wrote:
    Nice to hear a rugby player post something! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Just heard on the Radio 1 News headlines that the French Rugby authorities have ordered an inquiry into the incident, not that it would do alot of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Jip wrote:
    not that it would do alot of good.

Indeed, expect the FRU to cite BOD for getting in the way of the Bayonne fist:D

Actually there were cameras there. I just caught the end of the one o#clock news and there was a little piece about it. Coverage was pretty ropey though. Look out for it on the later bulletins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I think the worst part of this injury so far is the way the media have blown it up completely. Yes i was as shocked when i found out what happens but seriously now that we know that its a fractured sinus and we know he will be grand the newspapers make it look as he is on his death bed. Hopefully it ll all blow over the last thing you need is nagging press trying to stir a riot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stev_o wrote:
    I think the worst part of this injury so far is the way the media have blown it up completely. Yes i was as shocked when i found out what happens but seriously now that we know that its a fractured sinus and we know he will be grand the newspapers make it look as he is on his death bed. Hopefully it ll all blow over the last thing you need is nagging press trying to stir a riot
    The Sinus news only broke this morning, Newspapers would have had what news was available last night, in particular the quote from Eddie "if the Physio is worred, I'm worried" and that it was a suspected fractured cheekbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

buck65 wrote:
    lads let's not get carried away, apart from Brian's injury, this will bring the lads on immensely

i think it is a big deal as he'll miss out on the extra game time going into the French match. if there is a positive to this it is the lads have even more motivation now to teach the french team a lesson when they meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

The fact that it's all over the papers goes to show how much this WC has captured the imagination... We could be looking at another Euro-88 here..

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Punchbowl wrote:
    The fact that it's all over the papers goes to show how much this WC has captured the imagination... We could be looking at another Euro-88 here..

God I most certainly hope it's not another Euro 88!!!!! :eek:

I want us to get out of the group this time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

I aggree BOD wouldn't have played much but as we've seen before he can be slow to come back from injuries so lets jus hope he makes it back before the game with France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Does no one else realise that if Bayonne were playing with the intention of taking out key players that they would have done so,

You stamp hard on someone's knee once and you can forget about them running for months, I know people don't like the idea but there aren't that many psychos out there trying to ruin carriers. People actually playing rugby are aware of where the lines are and they are rarely crossed. A punch in the middle of the park is an overreaction to something or maybe a "hard man" trying to let the other guy know he's there, it is not and can never be viewed as a cynical effort to ruin someone's world cup.

A provincial side playing a team like Ireland is always going to try and play as tough as possible, they want to prove a point and they know they can't win the game with skill, it's inevitable, everybody knows this including Eddie. He was right to pick a game like this as a warm up, the players will get space to run their patterns, there will be a good level of physicality and they're playing in warm conditions.

Try look at these things with a bit of perspective and remember Bayonne are a professional team, they not a bunch of bar brawlers squeezed into rugby jerseys to soften up the Irish side for the world cup.

And as for putting Ireland against an AIL side, I'm sorry to say that's probably the stupidest thing I've read on this forum since someone tried defend the merits of making noise during opposition kicks. It would be incredibly dangerous for both sets of players and ultimately a complete waste of time, even an AIL select would be battered by a cricket score.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

the fnj wrote:

Try look at these things with a bit of perspective and remember Bayonne are a professional team, they not a bunch of bar brawlers squeezed into rugby jerseys to soften up the Irish side for the world cup.

Well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Good post fnj
    I am getting a bit sick of the moaning Irish brigade - ooooh spear tackle ooooh ROG was choked and now this ....?
    Let's stand up on the field and hit back where it counts ...on the f ing scoreboard ,when did we turn into a bunch of pussies?. It's time we got a bit of Martin Johnson spirit into ourselves . F--k everybody we will win at all costs , F---k the president make her walk over to us...
    We hammered those French extras last night now lets f--cking hammer the Argies and the French next month..
    Manic f--king aggression. This is f--cking rugby!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

So when's this raffle?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

Have to agree with Buck65 somewhat, It's not ballet lads. It's time for the real men to stand up and be counted - Bring Back 'The CLAW' I say and make O'Connell captain ! Do unto them before they do to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Agree that AIL team would be too weak, and honestly don't know the logistics of a select team from the provinces.

However, that brings me to an off-topic query: does the Irish team have a clash between the main team and the 'hopefuls' to see who makes/stays on the team? (You know, make people actually compete one-on-one for the same position a la the All Blacks).

(Also, in my opinion, the choking thing was complete rubbish (EOS should have answered for that) and a lot of the whinging we hear is complete hyperbole. This punch probably is as well. The spear-tackle incident during the Lions tour doesn't fall into the same category - it was genuinely over the top in my opinion.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

this sounds like a bunch of bar brawlers to me -- a kiwi reject out to make a name for himself -- a 6 foot 4 lock trying to end o'driscolls world cup -- sorry no sympathy for him -- if it was Trevor Brennan people would be calling for a jailing

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/attack-on-brian-left-me-sick-dad-1061558.html

Advertisement