Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martin McGuinness to be named as Sinn Féins candidate for the Presidential Election?

• 16-09-2011 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

Rumors all over twitter and elsewhere that he will be named as Sinn Féins presidential candidate this evening.

He would be an excellent choice imo, he would certainly get my vote and he should preform decently in the election, although I wouldn't expect him to win.

He would be the perfect man to oversee the centenary of the Easter rising. He has proved himself a very capable statesman and he has handled the difficult position of deputy first minister with ease. He is a great republican and Irishman.

Even Reverend David Latimer, a Presbyterian minister, has said that Martin McGuinness is a "great leader". He would be a great president too.

The Sindo certainly won't like this election! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can't see a Sinn Féin candidate winning the presidency tbh. Though I think only himself or Gerry could make a good go of it, they're generally considerable "likeable" down south. Anyone else under a SF banner would tank.

I also can't see the logic in moving from his current position to a ceremonial one like Irish president. It would seem to me to be a step down for anyone with such a strong stake in NI politics like McGuinnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

seamus wrote: »
    Can't see a Sinn Féin candidate winning the presidency tbh. Though I think only himself or Gerry could make a good go of it, they're generally considerable "likeable" down south.

I also can't see the logic in moving from his current position to a ceremonial one like Irish president. It would seem to me to be a step down for anyone with such a strong stake in NI politics like McGuinnes.
    I'd agree. I think Michelle Gildernew is a much better bet. Plus McGuinness, like any candidate, will have his past thoroughly scrutinised. And there is a thing or three there that will put many off!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

seamus wrote: »
    I also can't see the logic in moving from his current position to a ceremonial one like Irish president.

He and everyone in SF know that they can't possibly win, that's not the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Sinn Féin need 3 extra Oireachtas members to nominate someone, I would assume they have them lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

How would he balance the positions on the island?

Who would take over the ODFM ?

Good republican yes, Good man yes but terrible choice imo.

It will probably be Gerry Adams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It would be interesting to see. I don't think McGuinness minds being scrutinized. He has always been very forthcoming with his past - and many people empathise with anyone who grew up in Derry when he did, with how they were treated by the state, and the armed forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So much for SF facilitating a non SF candidate, if it's true.

Terribly choice, the whole thing with him being in the IRA army council will be enough to mean he will get savaged during the campaign.

SF are at least 20 years for a chance of winning the presidency.
    Any of the old northern types are two stained, and rightly so, by the past and the Paerse Doherty's and Mary Looos of the world are too young right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

Will he be able to vote for himself???

Its a good choice by SF. They know they haven't a chance of winning but its all about promoting the party in a all-ireland basis and they will smash FF, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Wow that seems kind of crazy, from one point of view they have none of the "major" names in NI if they do but he will have a decent chance of getting it.

baldbear wrote: »

Its a good choice by SF. They know they haven't a chance of winning but its all about promoting the party in a all-ireland basis and they will smash FF, again.
    Disgracefully I don't think so. Something I am sure he will be quick to point out on the campaign trail, the disgraceful situation which exists where people in the north cannot vote in the presidential election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

baldbear wrote: »

If they wish to promote the party in an all Ireland basis as you say them I would think a candidate from the South would be better.

One problem with SF is that most of us down here consider them a NI party, and running and old nordie like McGuniness does nothing to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

He hasn't a hope. Higgins may be the big beneficiary... can see a number of Fine Gael voters giving Higgins preferences now to keep McGuinness out where they previously may have left him off of their ballot.

This has probably scuppered Norris' bid as well, don't think he'll be able to get the Oireachtas numbers without Sinn Féin's help. His only hope is Fianna Fáil now at this stage. And one should never hold out much hope when they're relying on that shower...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Will he have to resign from Stormont if he does?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

NSNO wrote: »
    can see a number of Fine Gael voters giving Higgins preferences now to keep McGuinness out where they previously may have left him off of their ballot.

Yes, I'll even give that Dragon's Den joke candidate a preference now, just so I can put the SF guy last. Well, unless some FFer gets in the race, in which case the SFer will be second last.

Nevermind

RTE have confirmed it.

"Breaking News: Sinn Féin to put forward Martin McGuinness as a candidate in the upcoming election for President of Ireland #aras11"

Will he have to resign from Stormont if he does?
    I would assume Gerry Kelly would take over as acting deputy first minister while he is running, if he wins he would resign from Stormont, otherwise he would return as deputy first minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

This is getting good now...

gambiaman wrote: »
    This is getting good now...
    Get the popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭GSF

Enda can just arrange endless royal visits from various European countries to keep him occcupied making them tea & showing them around Dublin :D

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Get the popcorn

Hell yeah! ;)

The established meeja bandwagons are circling already!

The more I think about this the more I can see the big losers being Fianna Fáil because as it currently stands McGuinness will place a very credible third and will trounce any candidate FF put into the contest.

Combined with a disastrous by-election result for FF/good showing by SF/leadership heave in FF and FF will be on the floor again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

this is fantastic news! mcguinness has a great shot at winning.

i was keen on voting for norris but considering he has no backbone and failed his first major challenge as a leader, he wont be getting my vote now. McGuninness all the way.

TAL

Noel Whelan on drivetime on the numbers - 10% guaranteed, easily make 20%, looking at maybe 30% ! FPVs of course

paky wrote: »
    this is fantastic news! mcguinness has a great shot at winning.

i was keen on voting for norris but considering he has no backbone and failed his first major challenge as a leader, he wont be getting my vote now. McGuninness all the way.

TAL

C'mon mate, don't delude yourself. McGuinness doesn't have a chance. He's anathema to the middle classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yes, I'll even give that Dragon's Den joke candidate a preference now, just so I can put the SF guy last. Well, unless some FFer gets in the race, in which case the SFer will be second last.

Know how you feel, was only going to vote in the referenda and the by-election but now I will have to decide which of the other eejits to put in front of the SF candidate.

NSNO wrote: »
    C'mon mate, don't delude yourself. McGuinness doesn't have a chance. He's anathema to the middle classes.

in all fairness, look at the opposition he has, norris is the only real threat.

why am i 'deluding' myself?

paky wrote: »
    in all fairness, look at the opposition he has, norris is the only real threat.

why am i 'deluding' myself?
    I wouldnt expect him to win, it really doesn't matter, its about raising the profile of the party and getting the message out.

I hope he wins though.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I wouldnt expect him to win, it really doesn't matter, its about raising the profile of the party and getting the message out.

I hope he wins though.

why wouldnt you expect him to win? hes a household name around ireland. norris may have big support in and around dublin but the fact that hes gay wouldnt draw many votes from conservative irish people in rural areas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I await the hilarious levels of outrage from the Sindo at his candidacy. It's worth it, just to annoy them.

Advertisement