Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Favourite Radio Show of All-Time

• 22-07-2014 7:13pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

So we've currently got two threads about stations we hate/wouldn't miss, shur why not inject a bit of positive vibes to counter-balance that? :P

So, of all time, what was/is your favourite radio show?

For me, it's hands down The Ray Foley Show, probably the Blast days above all else just because nostalgia was better in them days. I've said this here before I think, but it's basically the first show I would put time aside to listen to every night if I could. We didn't have Spin down here in those days, so it was really my first introduction to youth oriented radio.

Honourable mentions go to Victor Barry before he moved to mornings, KC and Lenny on the Red Rooster and Talking History circa 2010.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭ofcork

I second ray foley also will leahy drivetime was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭chilloutrelax

For me the strawberry alarm clock back around 1996-1999 with Colm Hayes, Joan Lea and Justin McKenna on FM104. It was quite unique at that time.

Also was a fan of Rick O'Shea drive time show on FM104 back in the late 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mondo 088

Val Joyce on Late date one of a kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Nick Abbot had a late night phone in show on Virgin 1215 around 1992-93 which blew me away. I've never heard anything like it before or since. He got moved to an earlier slot and then sacked soon enough but it was magic while it lasted.

He's on LBC now but it's a very watered down version of his old persona.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Off the Ball 2007 to 2013, it had the perfect mix of silliness and serious thoughtful analysis, I love Ken's philosophical and existential musings, while they are still going in podcast form it's not the same as tuning into them for a few hours every evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

That Gerry Ryan fella wasn't too bad......

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Alan Freeman was a one off & when I first heard Pickin' The Pops in the 60's it sounded very refreshing. He also had a Saturday afternoon Rock Show during the late 1970's. None of the follow on imitations came near in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Leilak

Gerry Ryan
    R & B with Tony D (RIP)
    James Whale late night talk circa 1995 Sports Radio

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stephenireland

Will Leahy's Saturday Show...with the Sports Guy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Two favourites

Off the Ball (2011 vintage)

Donal Dineen

Other honourable mentions

Reels to Ragas
    South Wind Blows
    Any Tom Dunne music show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

adam and joe on bbc 6 music.

their take on the shyte pierce brosnan movie taffin was legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I used to like Sean Hughes on GLR in London.. and Mark Lamarr. They made London seem more like a village than a city.

USed to like Maloney after Midnight when I was in school..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The late Mike Dickin on Talksport.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Mark and Lard's afternoon show on BBC Radio1. Just brilliant. How they got away with half the stuff, I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Also, pretty much any of Danny Baker's shows but particularly his Morning Edition show on the old Radio 5. It was an unpredictable irreverent feast of wit energy, character and whimsy. Like nothing I'd ever heard on the radio before.

http://www.internettreehouse.co.uk/updated.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Proper Off The Ball. No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Chris Tarrent on Capital when I was a student nurse in London.

Shame he left dj ing to do who wants to be a millionaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BBC Radio 4 The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy 1978/79, bloody marvellous!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Scrap Saturday with Dermot Morgan.
    Early 90's
    Used to listen to it in bed hungover!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I used to like Ian Dempsey in the mornings on 2fm when Zig & Zag were on doing their interpretation of songs.

Enya's "Save a whale, save a whale, save a whale" from Orinoco flow

Mary Black's "no front ears"

Jason Donavan's "too many broken harps in the world, too many strings have been broken in two"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lapin wrote: »
    The late Mike Dickin on Talksport.

What a damn good choice. He's just behind James Whale in my own list purely because aul Whale could go from talking Lib Dems to extra terrestrial portals in the Middle East and take them both equally seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

They are two quirky little shows but I love "Playback" on a Saturday morning and "Sunday Miscellany"....

The weekend wouldn't be the same without them..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

What a damn good choice. He's just behind James Whale in my own list purely because aul Whale could go from talking Lib Dems to extra terrestrial portals in the Middle East and take them both equally seriously.

The main reason I listened to James Whale was Ash - best sidekick ever.

The Gerry Ryan Show was brillant in it's early years, not so much by the end though.

I still miss Ken's OTB football show. Ah well.

It's all a bit twee, but I really like John Bowman's Sunday morning show.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

Scott Mills on BBC Radio 1
    Friday Nights 80's on Today FM when Tim Kelly did it
    The Jam - Ben Murray - FM104

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ricky Gervais show on XFM. Although I only listened to it as an actual radio show a handful of times and wasn't wildly impressed at the time.

Currently Free Thinking on BBC Radio 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,541 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

As Klim already mentioned, Mark and Lard's afternoon show on BBC Radio 1 was comedy brilliance and never boring.

Also 'Sounds Of The Sixties' on BBC Radio 2 with Brian Matthew on Saturday mornings.

• Radio Romance with Michael Gerard on LMFM

• Registered Users Posts: 71,541 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I was also a big fan of 'America's Greatest Hits' on BBC Radio 2 with *cough* Paul Gambaccini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Two favourites

Off the Ball (2011 vintage)

Donal Dineen

Other honourable mentions

Reels to Ragas
    South Wind Blows
    Any Tom Dunne music show

Pretty scandalous the way Dineen was squeezed off the airwaves, his Today FM provided me with hours of *cough* free music to listen to the following day when on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I was also a big fan of 'America's Greatest Hits' on BBC Radio 2 with *cough* Paul Gambaccini.

Is he ***coughs, ahems,*** one of the baddies convicted??....:(

:(

I loved that show too.....

Advertisement