Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are audiences becoming more sophisticated?

• 04-04-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭

The reason I ask is because despite the complexity of some card tricks (pick a card, any card) I always view them as 'kiddie' magic, something to amuse the kids when it's wet outside.

I think this is because we're increasingly used to seeing 'street-magic' and large-scale illusions on TV. Exposure may be dulling my senses?

I am still impressed by spoon-bending :o and tricks like this one:

So for the experts amongst us, have you found audiences becoming more 'immune' to some types of tricks over the years or do different audiences find different tricks more entertaining/wondorous than others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

No way. If you present anything right, even something found in a cheap magic book from the bargain bin of the news agents, you can blow people away!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭bigslick

Well i believe that some audiences are becoming more sophisticated than others. For example i have found americans seem to be more blown away by my tricks than irish or english ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

It's not really that. Irish people are more inclined to be quiet and think "WOW" than Americians who tend to be more vocal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭bigslick

Yeah could be that. However i do think that people in society as a whole have more accepted magic into their culture, so when ya say you wanna see a trick they kinda know what to expect if ya get me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Well i think Card magic has become cliché

that said its all i tend to do, but i can still blow people away with a few tricks that just have a strong presentation with them, especially if it catches people off, if bigslick is who i think he is, he'll know a move dubbed "the grafton street move" i regularly do this when people are un-impressed having seen one or two simple tricks

if done right, it ABSOLUTELY blows them away, also there are certain tricks i pick to do purely based on the patter i can use with certain tricks, i find a lot of jay sankeys tricks to be open to a changable patter that can draw the crowd into the trick and the person you are using even further into the trick

• Advertisement
Advertisement