Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trick > Presentation?

• 31-03-2008 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

So is the trick more important than the presentation? Can a simple trick done well get a better reaction than a great trick done with no ...... cant actually think of a word for it now :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Presentation is always greater than a trick. It was best said to me as 'Only dogs and hookers preform tricks'. If you look at any of the people who receive media attention, for example David Blane, Derren Brown, Keith Barry or Chris Angel, you will see that it's their persona is sold rather than the effects they are preforming. (For example take the Buck twins, fantastic sleight of hand artists, they are very poorly known outside of the magic and XCM circles. Same with De'Vo and the like).

When you are preforming magic you are entertaining, it's not the magic that is there to entertain, it is simply the vehicle you are using. You could just as easily be standing there playing the trumpet, as long as you keep the people entertained they do not care what you are doing.

Any magician with fantastic presentation but poor handling skills can easilly preform something like Sam the Bellhop, or a basic ACR and blow the crowd away. Take an uming and awing guy with his Tivo Transpositions and his IDs and he will just look like a showoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

id agree, presentation is key. ive seen "magicians" with amazing sleight of hand bore the hell out of their audience. If im performing close up i move on from card magic quickly because i can feel the attention dropping by the second, i try to keep everything fast paced and informal, get a nice chat going on, and leave em wanting more.

Advertisement