Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking ticket up north

• 05-05-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

This may have been covered already, but if not, does anyone know the absolute definite position regarding parking tickets issued in the north of Ireland, to southern registered vehicles? Are they tracked or pursued in any way, can they be enforced etc? Can they be ignored in other words?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

At present I think they aren't persued. In the future they claim that both jurisdictions will enforce them with new laws.

You could do the decent thing and pay up/take your oil.

Or else just be careful next time you are in the North, and ensure your reg isn't caught again, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No chance of anything happening despite what the apologists here will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

There was some cross boarder agreement made a year ago that North and South would share data basses for car registrations to chase parking fines.
    A few years ago you would have been ok.

Someone told me I'd be ok but the fine kept comming went from 30 pounds to 120 and the threat of legal cival action.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0303/roads.html

I paid mine cause the bloody things just don't go away unfortunately and it's not worth it going into the hundreds.

The pilot scheme runs until next November.
    There is no such agreement in place now. It was a failure.

I would never pay a ticket from the north or anywhere else. I would use the legal system to get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If it was the other way around and you cross the border regularly I would pay it but for a southern car in the north nothing ever happens! They won't even have your name and address next time you're stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I get ya guys , my ticket was gotten last summer and I work in the north so I eventually paid up .I guess the chances of me getting another fine were always on the high side so I'm glad I got it out of the way tbh.

If the pilot scheme is officially over I apologize for scare mongering! and if I lived in Dublin or somewhere I'd prob reconsider too. I guess it depends on how the postal fine is phrased as I guess they may still have the power to persue you through local courts as it said on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Thanks for all the responses, but it still seems a bit grey and ambiguous, with conflicting opinions. I intend paying it, in fact I tried using my debit card but the system wouldn't accept it, so I will have to send a draft off to them. It's a 60 pounds sterling fine, but reduced by 50% if paid within 14 days. Not the end of the world. On the matter of names and addresses etc. I was driving a coach, with the company name and address plastered all over it, so any legal paperwork would go to my employer, though it is, quite correctly, my responsibility. I was in the wrong, no contest. Just wondered what the position was. Thanks again.

sogood wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses, but it still seems a bit grey and ambiguous, with conflicting opinions. I intend paying it, in fact I tried using my debit card but the system wouldn't accept it, so I will have to send a draft off to them. It's a 60 pounds sterling fine, but reduced by 50% if paid within 14 days. Not the end of the world. On the matter of names and addresses etc. I was driving a coach, with the company name and address plastered all over it, so any legal paperwork would go to my employer, though it is, quite correctly, my responsibility. I was in the wrong, no contest. Just wondered what the position was. Thanks again.

If they ever get in touch with you or your employer just say that you didn't see a parking ticket but that you may have parked illegally because you didn't know the area so you are happy to pay the £60.

There is much less than a 50% chance of them following up so its a good gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

If they ever get in touch with you or your employer just say that you didn't see a parking ticket but that you may have parked illegally because you didn't know the area so you are happy to pay the £60.

There is much less than a 50% chance of them following up so its a good gamble.

So you're telling a guy who willingly admits to being in the wrong and is man enough to accept censure for those actions, to ignore it because, hey they might never catch him. That says everything about this great little country of ours, don't take any personal responsibilty for your actions because what the hell, who cares everyone does it.

What makes it worse, is that your telling him to lie to his employer is thanked by a mod. OP man up and pay the ticket so you won't have to worry about being called into the office at work, is the peace of mind over your job not worth the £60.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    So you're telling a guy who willingly admits to being in the wrong and is man enough to accept censure for those actions, to ignore it because, hey they might never catch him. That says everything about this great little country of ours, don't take any personal responsibilty for your actions because what the hell, who cares everyone does it.
    And the best bit is that these very same people would be up in arms at the injustice of it when they get clamped. :D

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    And the best bit is that these very same people would be up in arms at the injustice of it when they get clamped. :D
    Nope. :D

What makes it worse, is that your telling him to lie to his employer is thanked by a mod. OP man up and pay the ticket so you won't have to worry about being called into the office at work, is the peace of mind over your job not worth the £60.

Actually I wasn't saying he should lie to his employer. I was saying if the fine eventually came to him he should tell the roads service he knew nothing about it.
    You can get a parking fine for being back one minute late on a prepaid meter up here yet you get nothing back if you return early. As long as that sort of system applies I wouldn't be in a rush to pay a ticket, no.

Actually I wasn't saying he should lie to his employer. I was saying if the fine eventually came to him he should tell them he knew nothing about it.

You are telling him to ignore the ticket on the off chance that they won't come after him, but if they do, he should tell them (even thought he does know) that he knew nothing about the ticket.

Now I understand that fianna fail politicians were good at using rhetoric to avoid telling untruths but yet again I must say another prime example of the Irish mentality, sure it's only a lie if you're caught out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

What difference does it make if the person who thanks it is a mod? Are mods not allowed have opinions now? :confused:

Jimdagym wrote: »
    What difference does it make if the person who thanks it is a mod? Are mods not allowed have opinions now? :confused:

The reason why I pointed out that a mod had thanked the post was, and this is my opinion, that the poster by willfully telling the OP to ignore the parking ticket (granted it was issued in another jurisdiction) and then encourage the OP to tell an untruth to his employer (should it catch up with him) was sailing pretty close to the wind as in encouring the OP to break the spirit of a law, I say spirit as it is as I said a law of another jurisdiction.

The OP in his own words admitted his error and so I can see no problem with the issue of the ticket. Just because we don't agree with something doesn't mean we can ignore it. Ignoring it because we can, does also not make it any less wrong.

I had thought that encouring others to break a law was against the motors charter, as such a mod of that forum was tacitly, again in my opinion by thanking the post, encouring the same behaviour.

We are forever in this country saying that bankers, developers and politictions should be brought to account for their past actions (I agree wholeheartedly) and we even cry foul when they scrapper off to other jurisdictions to escape their debts. The duplicity of the do as I say not as I do attitude that prevails in Ireland never escapes me particularly when I read threads like this.

It is of course up to the OP as to whether or not he pays the fine, I said if he is the slightest bit worried about his job; that then surely £60 is a small price for his peace of mind.

If the poster had told him to challenge the ticket legally (if there was a plausible reason to do so) then I would say yes and encourage him to do so, infact the mod in question if I remember correctly queried a parking ticket and the admission of the charge in Irish (well spotted sir). I would always encourage these challenges as they prevent in the future (if the loophole is closed) those who have the means (money) of getting away on legal technicalities, from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm not an "apologist" but, let's say the OP didn't pay it..... And got stopped 6 months down the line by the PSNI.... What then?

That's a totally different story mate. I wasn't telling him to report the car stolen to get out of paying it or anything mad like that.

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'm not an "apologist" but, let's say the OP didn't pay it..... And got stopped 6 months down the line by the PSNI.... What then?

They wouldn't have his name since details are not passed over for parking tickets given in the North. If they do somehow have his name there's no problem to say okay no bother here's your £60.

They wouldn't have his name since details are not passed over for parking tickets given in the North. If they do somehow have his name there's no problem to say okay no bother here's your £60.

Could be a bit late. I run north a fair bit and my experience of some PSNI lads isn't good.... Give them a reason....

Personally, I'd not chance it. Just because you're not resident, doesn't mean you won't be going back.

They wouldn't need his name, only his reg. And a few months down the line the window for payment to avoid court may have closed.

• Advertisement

Could be a bit late. I run north a fair bit and my experience of some PSNI lads isn't good.... Give them a reason....

Personally, I'd not chance it. Just because you're not resident, doesn't mean you won't be going back.

The PSNI are something else compared to the Guards but its only a 60 quid fine. They aren't going to arrest and hold for a parking ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

The reason why I pointed out that a mod had thanked the post was, and this is my opinion, that the poster by willfully telling the OP to ignore the parking ticket (granted it was issued in another jurisdiction) and then encourage the OP to tell an untruth to his employer (should it catch up with him) was sailing pretty close to the wind as in encouring the OP to break the spirit of a law, I say spirit as it is as I said a law of another jurisdiction.

The OP in his own words admitted his error and so I can see no problem with the issue of the ticket. Just because we don't agree with something doesn't mean we can ignore it. Ignoring it because we can, does also not make it any less wrong.

I had thought that encouring others to break a law was against the motors charter, as such a mod of that forum was tacitly, again in my opinion by thanking the post, encouring the same behaviour.

We are forever in this country saying that bankers, developers and politictions should be brought to account for their past actions (I agree wholeheartedly) and we even cry foul when they scrapper off to other jurisdictions to escape their debts. The duplicity of the do as I say not as I do attitude that prevails in Ireland never escapes me particularly when I read threads like this.

It is of course up to the OP as to whether or not he pays the fine, I said if he is the slightest bit worried about his job; that then surely £60 is a small price for his peace of mind.

If the poster had told him to challenge the ticket legally (if there was a plausible reason to do so) then I would say yes and encourage him to do so, infact the mod in question if I remember correctly queried a parking ticket and the admission of the charge in Irish (well spotted sir). I would always encourage these challenges as they prevent in the future (if the loophole is closed) those who have the means (money) of getting away on legal technicalities, from doing so.

Did you report the post that encouraged a poster to break the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Anan1 wrote: »
    They wouldn't need his name, only his reg. And a few months down the line the window for payment to avoid court may have closed.

Even more worryingly for non payment of the £30 (after discount) is that those encouraging or thanking non payment is that they are disregarding the fact that the OP is a professional driver and the vehicle had clear contact details on it which will undoubtedly be recorded on the CEO's digital camera. If it's unpaid, the fine racks up quickly, gets remitted to court and ultimately to a bailiff. It might be fine for others to ignore it but these circumstances are different and those who are ignoring that are not assisting the OP.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Did you report the post that encouraged a poster to break the law?
    That'd be a bit heavy-handed, IMO. One of the great pleasures of not being a mod is having that bit of extra latitude when it comes to the charter. :)

Some people really love posting rubbish false information.

Council parking in NI is Decriminalised. Hence it has nothing to do with the police at all. Even if not paid the police have no roll in collection. The case never ever sees the inside of a courtroom. It is all administrative in nature. So the PSNI are not interested in some clown from Dundalk with a few parking tickets in Newry.

NI councils have no access to the VRO so how would they send anything?

And for the record I am free to thank any posts I feel like.

The PSNI are something else compared to the Guards but its only a 60 quid fine. They aren't going to arrest and hold for a parking ticket.

Perhaps not for that but if the OP has a heavy right foot and gets pulled and that on top of the ticket.... It won't look very good, would it?

Council parking in NI is Decriminalised. Hence it has nothing to do with the police at all.
    So it's a non-criminal offence? Is bad parking on council property actually breaking the law, so? And, more to the point, is failure to pay the ticket?

All civil!!

Hence decriminalised!

Perhaps not for that but if the OP has a heavy right foot and gets pulled and that on top of the ticket.... It won't look very good, would it?
    How would the PSNI even be aware of a civil matter?

• Advertisement

How would the PSNI even be aware of a civil matter?

So you don't pay the fine, you're not brought to court?

Advertisement