Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Religion * Predictions, discussion and aftermath (1 thread please)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

ahh i've totally neglected religion, i've only got my notes on section a done :/ may start soon, i've still got accounting too.

i have a set of papers and for sec a anselm and newton and the "proofs" haven't come up since the fisrt year religion was an exam subject. to be honest its the hardest subject to predict cos its so broad and new

does anyone elses teacher give them notes and extra things like personal responses and all every 5 minutes so much learning

oh and the syllabus is here
    http://www.curriculumonline.ie/uploadedfiles/PDF/lc_religion_sy.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

canto464 wrote: »
    How much are we expected to write for an 80 mark question?

normally you have to discuss 2 points @ 40 each so I'd say 4 pages in total

religion is so hard to know with, our class do
    Sec A, B, C and I
    but in the mocks one of my friends answered Sec D even though we've never done it before and got higher marks in that than anything else

when answering questions try make links between sections because they seemingly love that, and also my teacher said that if you've time write down anything that you think may be relevant to the question because they won't mark you down it willl only bring up your grade.
    he said repeat the question in each paragraph too to try convince the examiner you are answering the question.
    I'm lucky i had a brilliant teacher who wrote books on religion and all but he never once gave us tests not even for christmas so do you think we studied it at all?

How much are we expected to write for an 80 mark question?

as much as possible!
    usually questions are 40 marks or 20 marks, so generally for the 40 mark questions you should aim for 4/5 paragraphs, an opening, 2 middle ones with the main answer and and a closing where you write something personal.
    so approximately 2 and a half pages for a 40 mark q depending on your writing, if its small 2 would do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 canto464

MrUsername wrote: »
    I think it was 2007 when charateristics of Kingdom of God came up so I'd really doubt it would come up again!

What are the characteristics for the kingdom of God? I dont really remember that part :)

• Advertisement

normally you have to discuss 2 points @ 40 each so I'd say 4 pages in total

Are you joking!! I couldnt write 4 pages even with the book!!

What are the characteristics for the kingdom of God? I dont really remember that part :)

its all like peace as an alternative to violence, sharing goods as an alternative to wealth, a god of the powerless as opposed to one of the powerful and inclusion as an alternative to the emergence of the elites

Thanks xclw. Dear sweet jesus i am unprepared for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Latin and Religion. . .christian brothers school, by any chance?

Classical school :p They're getting rid of Latin though...

Nice to know that the mod made my thread more appealing :D

Religion is rock-hard. Its very difficult to understand and you have to have a serious grasp of essay-writing and to do some extra work outside of school on the topics. I got 97% per cent in the Mocks but I was pure lucky and I thought I was going to get a B2. AND I ran outta time on the last question and had to rush it. The books are not enough for the religion course...just look at Christology. Its hotly tipped to come up and we're supposed to study two, but only one is done in the book, with a paragraph about him thrown in as an afterthought in the Christology section. Plus, there's no resources online like on skoool.ie, there's no revision books like ReviseWise and you're expected to elaborate on the scarce information that you are given to begin with. Not to mention that we only get two and a half hours to do basically 4 essays on demand with about 4 or 5 pages each!

Plato and Cosmologies are tipped to come up for Section A, Christology for B, Common Good for D and changing Gender Roles/gender roles in two religions could come up for E. Didn't do C but primal religion or NRMs might come up, I heard. I'm screwed if Nano Nagle and Gately comes up :/

yeah they should really make it a 3 hour exam and give a choice on every topic, my teacher said they complain about that to the department every year but they won't change it.

• Advertisement

Plus, I haven't even mentioned the fact that we have to answer on set questions...no choice as in history. If you don't study Messianic expectations, and it comes up, you have no other choice but to do it.

btw, can someone please give me a rundown on the messianic expectations? In my book its not done all that well! I know about Priestly, Davidic, Prophetic etc. but I've no idea on Jesus' awareness of them. Someone help! :pac:

We should all just pray and we'll get through this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Plus, I haven't even mentioned the fact that we have to answer on set questions...no choice as in history. If you don't study Messianic expectations, and it comes up, you have no other choice but to do it.

btw, can someone please give me a rundown on the messianic expectations? In my book its not done all that well! I know about Priestly, Davidic, Prophetic etc. but I've no idea on Jesus' awareness of them. Someone help! :pac:

It came up in 2009. Go to the 2009 marking scheme on examinations.ie. I find it explains the 3 expectations and his awareness to them way better than the crappy textbook (albeit short). I look at the marking schemes of various years to get more info on the diff. topics that have came up e.g 2010 for Aristotle's philosophical ideas.
    Btw, I highly doubt that will come up this year because it came up in 2009 but with the lack of choice we get I suppose we'll have to learn it anyway.

i am in the same boat as you mate. were truely ****ed.

I got 97% per cent in the Mocks

really? whoah! :O i barely scraped a c2!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nice to know that the mod made my thread more appealing :D
    I can make anyone look good! :cool:

All I have to do is stand beside them! :o:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

I am so screwed! :s I dunno wat any of ye on this thread are talking about. If only I knew how hard religion for the leaving cert was.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

Duda17 wrote: »
    I am so screwed! :s I dunno wat any of ye on this thread are talking about. If only I knew how hard religion for the leaving cert was.

You must have done nothing in the last two years so. It's so easy when you put the work in it's a walk in the park.

I don't know about anyone else but the journal work which many think helps them, might drag me down a grade (Down to A2 or B1)

Don't bother looking at the curriculum just take out your notes and use postets to break down every topic and ofcourse:

Expand, Expand, Expand,Expand,Expand,Expand!

Or if you go through the book you could break down the sections for those of you who dint receive notes

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I can't decide whether or not to study what's come up in the last few years or not. I've got a lot to do so need to prioritise. Do you think it's likely they'd repeat questions when the course is still so new?

I'm going through past papers because they pretty much coincide with the syllabus . And everything that's on that Is what were supposed to know

• Advertisement

I think that they might bring up some expected stuff as 40 markers but they could bring up unexpected stuff as the other part of the question...they're like that :)

Violafy wrote: »
    I can't decide whether or not to study what's come up in the last few years or not. I've got a lot to do so need to prioritise. Do you think it's likely they'd repeat questions when the course is still so new?

yep they have repeated stuff before like they've had myths on twice i think and search for spiritual in society like art and music or books has been on twice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Davidmator

Hi,

I was just wondering what is the structure for an essay in the leaving cert religion exam. I have no idea how to structure an answer. My teacher has a different structure to other subjects like history. Totally confused! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

intro..basically backround info and refre to question ask

middle, the information you know, refer back to question after each point you make

ending, round it up, refer to question..maybe give a personal view.. like i think that the sophists had a great idea or something liek that XD

QUESTION:

how long do we spend on an 80 mark, 40 mark and twenty mark question?
    im so worried abut this exam... esp with the lack of info that i think most people use for this course... ugh

R.E.R

thats what I do for religion

for timing i'm going to spend 35 minutes on each section and the rest of the time is for thinking and reading the paper...
    what does everyone think will be come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keeirs

anyone doing the Section H book? Its like an orangey book about the bible basically.. I dont have a clue what to learn from that!!

keeirs wrote: »
    anyone doing the Section H book? Its like an orangey book about the bible basically.. I dont have a clue what to learn from that!!

Thank God I'm not doing that , I wouldnt know where to start

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CaoimheKeee

xclw wrote: »
    religion is so hard to know with, our class do
    Sec A, B, C and I
    but in the mocks one of my friends answered Sec D even though we've never done it before and got higher marks in that than anything else

when answering questions try make links between sections because they seemingly love that, and also my teacher said that if you've time write down anything that you think may be relevant to the question because they won't mark you down it willl only bring up your grade.
    he said repeat the question in each paragraph too to try convince the examiner you are answering the question.
    I'm lucky i had a brilliant teacher who wrote books on religion and all but he never once gave us tests not even for christmas so do you think we studied it at all?

somebodyy from Loreto..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

xaoifsx wrote: »

QUESTION:

how long do we spend on an 80 mark, 40 mark and twenty mark question?
    im so worried abut this exam... esp with the lack of info that i think most people use for this course... ugh

80 Mark: 2 and a half pages
    40 Mark: 1 and a quarter to half page
    20 Mark: No more than 3/4 of a page
    All together each section should be about 2 and a half pages.
    If you're writing is small (like me) you'd probably find this very difficult to do in 35 mins each so you could write less. :)

Advertisement