Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How hard is the maths in an Economics degree?

• 03-01-2014 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm looking at my postgraduate options at the moment, and I'm trying to look for something a bit more vocational than my undergraduate degree which was in the Humanities. I don't have any maths background, so I'm wondering how hard and advanced would the maths in a HDip Economics be for somebody without a maths background, and up to what level of mathematics do these degrees require? Lastly, the degree is a HDip Conversion degree for graduates without a background studying economics for their undergrad. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Your lack of maths background shouldn't be a problem, particularly if it's a conversion course that sounds like it's designed for those with your type of background. What would be more important is that you are reasonably comfortable working with numbers as almost all of an economics degree does, and not someone who runs a mile at the sight of a basic equation!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I did a BA and MA in Economics.

I do remember someone on our MA course had done a HDip (or equivalent) course in order to qualify for the masters.

I aced pass mathes in the leaving and didn't sit honours for what its worth!

In the undergraduate courses there was a a couple of refresher modules in quantative techniques and statistics which were quite useful. The type of mathes you need is generally a grounding in algebra and differentiation which I personally feel you can pick up if you haven't touched them since school (I'd look at what the undergraduates are being thought on their quantative techniques courses for a better idea).

What is your primary degree in?

Do you know if econometrics is a course on the HDip?

Advertisement