Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grafton Street Buskers

• 31-07-2012 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Walked up Grafton Street yesterday for the first time in a good while and there were 10 or 12 different buskers operating there.
    Apart from the obstructions they were causing my big concern was how actually shyte and devoid of talent they all were .
    For a street with a name as Irelands ' premier shopping street ' ( I shudder at the embarassment of that description given how tatty and identical to any British high street it has become ) it would be nice if visitors could see some genuinely talented street performers rather than any 15 year old with a guitar who thinks he can sing.

Now before I get attacked with comments like '' leave them alone they're only trying to earn a few quid '' or '' who are you to judge '' , etc I would ask people to think of the benefits of quality street entertainment as opposed to any gurrier with a tin whistle.

Some cities licence buskers who have to undergo an audition - keeps the dross of the type I saw firmly out.

Should the City Council adopt such a policy ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

All buskers with amps should be ran out of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

In short, yes. If you think of it as a job, you have to generally undergo an interview to get it, so why should busking be any different?

However I don't agree that the ones you saw could all be shìte, I noticed some decent street artists last thursday. They had a large crowd standing around them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They all sing the exact same type of depressing song with the same type of voice. None of them stand out. I see them as all the same, a nuisance trying to make the weekly slog even more depressing.

Sing something cheery FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was a good all female trad band when I was there earlier on today and there's usually a few good jazz type bands there of a Friday evening.NC Lawlor and his fantastic slide guitar do pop up on occasion too,as do the classical orchestra group.

Wouldn't be in favour of DCC giving out permits or whatever,there's far too much pointless bureaucracy in this city as it is,no point adding more to it.

Plus I'd have absolutely no faith in DCC to properly implement such a scheme anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I love hearing trad music being played on Grafton Street.
    Besides being easy on the ears, it's great for tourists too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Yeah, there should be an audition process.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 UKJon

Yeah, there should be an audition process.
    It wouldn't really be 'real' then and it would lose it's appeal. Grafton Street, won't live or die on whether bad buskers play or not. But if you start putting folks off from doing it or make it more difficult to achieve, you might end up with no one.

When I visited Dublin a few months ago, Grafton Street really felt all the better and very lively for all the buskers and street performers. In the 6 days we were in Dublin we certainly never came across anyone you could really consider bad or awful.

I remember a few years ago Birmingham introduced licensed 'busker stops' I think this was more to encourage the practice, they don't do it now so it can't have really been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 factcuptor

UKJon wrote: »
    It wouldn't really be 'real' then and it would lose it's appeal.

And a guy dressed up as a tap dancing leprechaun is in what way real............?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

My nephew and his Band :D are going busking in Grafton Street - they can't wait to do this (aged 14- 17).

I suppose for them it's an ambition to busk on Grafton Street - better than going on some commercial tv show - and for the passers by on Grafton Street would probably prefer if they went on a TV show where they could be easily switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

This thread seems very apt OP :p

Just saw this on the Journal:

#STREET-FACTOR: Dublin’s street artists will have to up their games from today as the city council introduces a new performance code to ensure quality entertainment for passers-by. Under the rules, buskers will not be allowed monopolise sites, use amps in certain places or sing after 11pm, reports the Irish Independent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's some polish dude who plays the electric violin on grafton st..totally awesome.

He played Nothing Else Matters one time and did a five minute instrumental at the end.

Then tehre's the skinny bloke with the guitar who stands outside Awear murdering Maroon 5 songs..he should be shot with balls of his own shiite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Ban the guys who paint themselves black then just stand there for hours as if that's somehow a talent worthy of donations. Ditto the sand dogs and that guy who writes in chalk on Henry St-I always deliberately walk right over that sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

latenia wrote: »
    Ban the guys who paint themselves black then just stand there for hours as if that's somehow a talent worthy of donations. Ditto the sand dogs and that guy who writes in chalk on Henry St-I always deliberately walk right over that sh1te.

Yeah those guys who paint themselves and basically stand still really annoy me also.

All they do is take up space on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Degsy wrote: »
    There's some polish dude who plays the electric violin on grafton st..totally awesome.

He played Nothing Else Matters one time and did a five minute instrumental at the end.

Then tehre's the skinny bloke with the guitar who stands outside Awear murdering Maroon 5 songs..he should be shot with balls of his own shiite!

Yeah that Polish guy is class.

He can play the even play it by putting it between his knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

And make sure everyone walks in single file on Grafton St too. The place is a mess with everyone walking different directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

has anyone seen the small lad doing keepy uppy's with his crutches? He's unbelievable

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I thought you do need a permit from the Gardai to busk?

latenia wrote: »

A squirt of petrol and a well-placed match will soon make them move :)

or has anyone seen the black leprechaun? he just stands there, take photos with people and gets paid a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I didn't see Sarah Lou (hope I spell the name right) there in a good while. She is just brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Some of the street performers (e.g. limbo dancers, jugglers) are very professional, but I can't believe there are so many people from boring American or European suburbs (or culchie-land) with nothing better to do than stand around for hours watching them.

I now walk right through the performance area if I think there isn't a reasonable amount of walking space left on the street otherwise.

Some of the street performers (e.g. limbo dancers, jugglers) are very professional, but I can't believe there are so many people from boring American or European suburbs (or culchie-land) with nothing better to do than stand around for hours watching them.

And stand a good chance of getting pick-pocketed in the process.

Love street performance and want to see more of it, however all* microphones and amps should be banned from street performance. Using your voice regularly makes it stronger and if you're a singer, you will benefit from busking.

If you use a mic and an amp, you won't become better as you won't have to push yourself. Ask Glen Hansard/Damian Dempsey/Damien Rice would they be where they are now if they used mics & amps in their busking days.

*I have seen people play electric guitar that was incredible that would not have been possible without an amp, so always exceptions to every rule

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Degsy wrote: »

Is he still there? He's actually pretty good, he could do with learning a few new songs though. Used to work in a shop on Grafton Street (never again but thats another days rant) and his constant rotation of a few songs always drove me demented.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the human beat box who has been there a couple of times lately is superb.
    i don't mind amps, but what gets my goat is backing tracks - the violinist being one culprit.

and that guy who makes sand sculptures really needs to expand his repertoire beyond a reclining dog.

the human beat box who has been there a couple of times lately is superb.
    i don't mind amps, but what gets my goat is backing tracks - the violinist being one culprit.

and that guy who makes sand sculptures really needs to expand his repertoire beyond a reclining dog.

Worst thing about that lad is the plastic template he has underneath the 'dog' all he does is pour sand on top of the template

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

. They had a large crowd standing around them anyway.

THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!

I work by the Green and need to get to Abbey Street - it's a freaking nightmare trying to get past.

One aul one not long since said "excuse me, you're in the way" as I walked past. FFS it's a STREET not the f**king Point, and these talented no marks are no U2.

Most of them are barely able to support Jedward at Butlins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Who is the header in the tiger suit that prances around near Marks & Spencers...he doesn't like he's playing with a full deck?

Don't ban him tho !

pithater1 wrote: »
    Worst thing about that lad is the plastic template he has underneath the 'dog' all he does is pour sand on top of the template

ah no way you're joking me? I can't believe that sneaky fcuker has been using a plastic template! next time I see him, I'm going to kick his sand "sculpture" into his eyes and snap his template in half. Now we'll see how much of a gifted artist he really is

• Advertisement

nbar12 wrote: »
    ah no way you're joking me? I can't believe that sneaky fcuker has been using a plastic template! next time I see him, I'm going to kick his sand "sculpture" into his eyes and snap his template in half. Now we'll see how much of a gifted artist he really is

Well I haven't seen him on over a year but each morning I saw him setting up the plastic and pouring some sand on top of it

Advertisement