Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Team will be announced tomorrow night. I presume it will be along the same lines as the last day. Any news on injuries?
    As far as I'm aware Ray Carey is the only injury concern.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The difference between this time last year and now is staggering. Our depth was stretched last year while we have a veritable host of riches on the bench now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Randy Watson

I wouldn't take the team announced tonight as fact

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I wouldn't take the team announced tonight as fact

True, he has a habit of changing it around anyway.

Cork team named tonight. The only change from the starting 15 that played Kildare is Patrick Kelly comes in at centre forward instead of Ciaran Sheehan. Ray Carey fit to play and starts.

• Advertisement

1. Alan Quirke

2. Ray Carey 3. Michael Shields 4. Eoin Cadogan

5. Paudie Kissane 6. Graham Canty 7. Noel O Leary

8. Alan O'Connor 9. Aidan Walsh

10. Fintan Goold 11. Patrick Kelly 12. Paul Kerrigan

13. Colm O Neill 14. Donncha O'Connor 15. Nicholas Murphy

Glad to see Paddy start, he really loves the open spaces of Croker. As has been mentioned, there will probably be a change or two before throw in, although he might surprise us and leave them start as above.

Some start for the cork ladies against donegal - a goal after 30 seconds!

Half way through the first half and I think it's fair to say the Cork ladies have this one well and truly wrapped up. Cork 3-5 v 0-01 donegal.

Donegal keeper having a nightmare. Cork are playing against the wind also.

Not too keen on the Cork jersey. Maybe it's the sponsor placement or something, looks more maroon than red also ( might be the tv)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Really excited about this game tomorrow. As a Corkman I think Cork should have the artillery to beat Donegal but have huge respect for this Donegal team and what they have achieved in 2 years and if Cork win they will sure earn it. Id say they will be only a kick of a ball between the two sides with Cork hopefully coming out on top :D.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

@sham the new design is too dark red alright, i've seen it and it is quite dark, though i've been told that a new kit with a better red will be sorted.

It was always going to be difficult for Donegal, four or five players missing, one sister getting married, and 2 bridesmaids. Its too easy for Cork, and thats a big worry for the semi final stage.

Cork should have had 4, don't know how Ciara O Sullivan hit the post from a yard out!

• Advertisement

ht Cork 3-13 v 0-02 Donegal

ft Cork 8-27 v 0-02 Donegal

That was simply a pleasure to watch- unless you are from Donegal of course. The performance by the ladies must be some kind of a record for an All Ireland qf. The passing, running off the ball etc was as good as it gets.

Defence - tight, controlled and didn't see much of the ball.
    Midfield - imperious.
    Forwards, well 8-27!

Yes donegal had a few missing but from start to finish Cork went at them and never let up. Totally 'professional'.

Well lads, the same again will do tomorrow:pac::

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

as much as I love seeing Cork win, I don't like seeing teams being hammered, neither side learned much. Donegal were extremely poor, and had spoken about giving a walkover in the days leadin up to the game, Donegal's missing players wouldn't have changed the result, but i'd be cautious of Cork in the semi depending on who they draw.

Donegal made Cork look very good at times, but this Cork team are one of the best, mens or womens to come out of Cork ever, 6 All Ireland titles in 7 years, beating 5 different teams in the finals, which shows the strength of other teams

Carrigtwohill beat the Glen by 2pts.
    Piarsaighs beat Newtown by 1-15 to 1-11

And Ballinhassig thrashed Inniscarra in the semi of the PIHC 2-18 v 0-09

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

We'll have to bottle some of that killer instinct of the girls and give it to conor to hand around. Heard the final score earlier and really is a jaw dropping scoreline.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    And Ballinhassig thrashed Inniscarra in the semi of the PIHC 2-18 v 0-09

Ah bollocks. A buddy of mine was playing for Inniscarra.

In the other PIHC semi Bandon beat Youghal 1-16 v 0-06 ( 0-09 v 0-05 at ht)

Youghal never turned up apparently and Bandon looked a fit and fast team.

Cork at ht and ft at 6/4...bet is made to try to cover the day!!

Come on The Rebels!!!

changes to the team

Noelie goes to corner back, Fintan Goold to wing back, Ciaran Sheehan comes in, and Goulding comes in for Nic Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Horribly disappointing.

When it not your day, its just not your day. Hitting the post for the goal chance summed it up. We were outclassed everywhere by a team that is very hungry and every little break seemed to go against us.

Cant have any complaints in the manner is which we were defeated. They were the better team, simples.

Time for Counihan to hand over the reigns?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Surely it is time for Counihan to step down after today, he has delivered very little for Cork football despite have some genuinely talented lads. He opened his 1st year with defeat to Kerry in the All-Ireland semi-final of 2008, once again Kerry came back to haunt his side in 2009 with a second All-Ireland defeat in 3 years.

In 2010 again Kerry defeated Cork but failed to make the All-Ireland final and Cork won their 1st All-Ireland in 20 years, but questions still remain to be asked and in 2011 they exited too easily at the hands of Mayo in the All-Ireland quarter final.

This year was by many analysts supposed to be Cork's year, they crashed and burned to Donegal and showed alot of their age and despite being there or thereabouts for the last 8 years they lacked that killer instinct to close out the game when they were getting on top for periods of the game.

Alot has been made of Cork's National League success but when the long days of summer come around they were found wanting once again.

Surely some of the Cork lads will now hang up their boots and allow for newer talent to join the squad, Graham Canty, Paudie Kissane, Nicholas Murphy and Donncha O'Connor are all well past their prime and time will tell if they have a place within the Cork senior panel.

As for Counihan himself, whilst he has delivered Cork's greatest success in two decades he still has many questions hanging over him. Mainly Cork's failure to win back to back All-Irelands last year and his ultimate failure to defeat Kerry in Croke Park when he had some great opportunities.

2008, knocked out by Kerry in AI Semi-Final
    2009, lost AI Final to Kerry, could've easily had won it, many many wides
    2010, Won AI Final,
    2011, lost to Kerry, knocked out by Mayo
    2012, beaten comprehensively by Donegal
    2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Stinicker wrote: »

Surely some of the Cork lads will now hang up their boots and allow for newer talent to join the squad, Graham Canty, Paudie Kissane, Nicholas Murphy and Donncha O'Connor are all well past their prime and time will tell if they have a place within the Cork senior panel.

Donncha O'Connor is only 31 and has been playing very well - today was not a good day, but anyone can have an off day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Disappointing, but the lads didn't let anyone down. Yes they've under-achieved but they did so with little to no support from the Cork public and under a tactically inept and exceedingly conservative management. But the amount of effort and work the lads put in was huge over the past 5 years.

Regarding match, Donegal could and probably deserved to win by 7-8 points. Their conditioning and fitness was far superior to ours, and the fact that we tried to play the game through the middle and ended up with two Donegal forwards against two Cork backs in oceans of space on multiple occasions just shows you how little a plan we had to beat them. Their tackling was also much better then ours. Our half-back line got over-run largely because our management have relied almost completely on great but aging players since the AI win who couldn't deal with their opponents intensity. On top of that our midfield got cleaned out which ruined any decent platform to attack forward with.

Anyway, we will be back in transition, since presumably management will move on, along with at least 2-3 lads that played today. Mercifully Kerry will be right down there with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hard to blame this on Turtle, almost snide to do so. Cork got their tactics right, they were simply beat by a better team on the day.

Syferus wrote: »
    Hard to blame this on Turtle, almost snide to do so. Cork got their tactics right, they were simply beat by a better team on the day.

What.

Orizio wrote: »
    What.

Someone said Counihan looked like an up-turned turtle and the nickname stuck around these parts, boyo!

Syferus wrote: »
    Someone said Counihan looked like an up-turned turtle and the nickname stuck around these parts, boyo!

That's nice, now how about you explain where (a) the snide part of my post was, (b) where Cork got their tactics right and (c) where I said we weren't beat by the better team.

Cheers.

Orizio wrote: »
    That's nice, now how about you explain where (a) the snide part of my post was, (b) where Cork got their tactics right and (c) where I said we weren't beat by the better team.

Cheers.

I was referring to Snicker's post when I said snide; your post came through between me starting to reply and posting that comment.

Fair enough.

No complaints from me,Donegal were deserving winners today,we tried hard but the best team won,congratulations Donegal. While Cork will be slated on certain GAA forums and Facebook pages for losing today this team have served Cork supporters well,4 National league titles in a row,2 Munster championships and an All Ireland title in the last 3 years,we really can't complain with this team no matter what certain people will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Tough look lads, you werent at the races at all today but no shame in it, think the donegals are the real deal and would fancy them to give the Jackeens a good beating in the final, theres always next year,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

very disappointed with today. Cotk outclassed all over the field. Close in the end but the better team won. Congrats Donegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement