Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Managed to kill another 2 bosses there (Quelaag and Discharge). Tough, but was able to summon some help for Quelaag. My character now looks like a Ringwraith from Lord of the Rings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Just starting my first char now ! WOOO ! The limited edition is superb (Basically the normal version since thats all they had in game).. why doesn't every game give you soundtracks and behind the scenes DVD's with their games.. not too mention the art book, demon souls had a few things thrown in with it aswel. Brilliant value for money and i haven't even started the game yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Well I got into the parish and down the lift, was about 2 seconds away from a gigantic silver knight killing me. Dreading going back in there.

Can someone explain the difference between hollow and human to me. I know you get a higher drop rate when human but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

better resistance to curse too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Christ the drake sword is some jump in damage output compared to early weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Must......resist.....buying this game.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just got the key to blighttown, bleedin ****tin i am. Boss that gives you the key is very easy, i beat her in the nip. And gives you 25k souls! Woo thats 6 levels. Im still using my fecking starting weapon the Broadsword +3

I meet the reqs for weilding the halberd but my guy keeps tripping when i attack with it. Is this the normal animation for the weapon? Or is something amiss

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

What level should I be when fighting the boss at the first bell tower? I think I got about 2% of its health before it killed me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

**** you corrupt game save, freezing my xbox when I load, hours down the drain, **** you!!

Just had a 3 player session right through Blighttown up to Quelagg and the drop in FPS was ****ing ridiculous. So much so that it was actually unplayable. How can they release the game like this, when coop is such a big part of the game? Havent gone through Blighttown solo yet, but i have a feeling its not gonna be as bad.

I beat those Gargoyles at about level 12-15. When i first tried it i though, wow this is impossible. But i stuck with it and after about 10 deaths i beat it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'm having an amazing time with this game despite having my hole kicked.... I believe the pyromancer is the best to start with as...

SPOILER: You receive a very powerful ranged attack which is EXCELLENT for killing knights. And you can level up very easily and also there is a very powerful magic sword and shield you can grab after you finish the tutorial level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Well, i tilted my xbox, and it scratched the disc pretty bad, now it doesnt work.
    I'm retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Spunge wrote: »
    Well, i tilted my xbox, and it scratched the disc pretty bad, now it doesnt work.
    I'm retarded.

I'm confused.

Why does your xbox need to be moved when it's turned on and the disc is in it?

Was looking for an audio port. I'm used to using the PC, where i can tilt, turn it upside down, it and even take out parts while its on. Lesson learned, aye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

This game is just too god damn hard, or im just useless .i stuck trying to kill the zombies and then theres a bit with 3 zombies 2 with swords and 1 with bow and arrow, considering trading in already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Just been on a site there and someone has already unlocked the platinum trophy. Looks like its easier than the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Killed the dragon and i've no idea how, I think damage might cumulative.

What character would be best to start the game with for absolute beginners of the game that have never played demon souls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

This game is just too god damn hard, or im just useless .i stuck trying to kill the zombies and then theres a bit with 3 zombies 2 with swords and 1 with bow and arrow, considering trading in already

Yes... if your stuck on those 3 then i think it would be best to trade it in.. because thats the tutorial level :P

I've a feeling DarkSouls will have a LOT of trade ins within the first month, especially xbox versions where people pick it up because they see the good rating, having never played demon souls... get shanked a few times and quit.

Im only a few hours in and I already know this game is going to be more challenging than Demonsouls was. Not complaining but it will put newcomers off i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

What character would be best to start the game with for absolute beginners of the game that have never played demon souls

Use a knight. Keep your shield up at all times, wait for their guard to drop, and stick them. Just practise a little at it. Dying is a big part of the game, everyone dies all the time.

• Advertisement

For new people playing get a shield and spear. Its possible to hold your shield up and still attack from behind it, the spear also has good range, is fast and is peircing damage which is good against armoured foes (The Knights)

You want a sheild that has 100% reduction to physical damage, that way you wont take any damage on block. I know the Knight starts with such a shield, but the undead shield guys (both sword and spear) also drop one. The spear you can buy from the Undead Merchant near the Undead Burg, or have one drop from the spear and shield undead enemys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I thought i hated Blightown (and i do), but it's nothing compared to Anor Londo. Ghosts that can only be killed with a certain weapon (or cursed), that walk and hit through walls, regardless of line of sight, all while on a tiny walkway? Or, and blocking doesn't work?

**** right off.

ok its much better now, I startd again and changed to the pyromancer, was using the depraved which is a crap character, found an axe and the zombies and knight are a piece of piss now, the weapon I had before with the depraved guy was useless, was taking me agaes to kill one zombie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

are the boss fights hard?

ok its much better now, I startd again and changed to the pyromancer, was using the depraved which is a crap character, found an axe and the zombies and knight are a piece of piss now, the weapon I had before with the depraved guy was useless, was taking me agaes to kill one zombie

Yeah i think deprived is basically if you want the game to be as hard as it possibly can :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Perfect timing that I just finished fallout New Vegas yesterday and came home to see my copy of Dark Souls got delivered. The online gamestop site might get some more business from me!

Loving the game so far. Playing as the wanderer and I've put in about 2 to 3 hours into it so far. Beaten the first boss which was Tauras Demon I think

I've made a lot more stupid mistakes in this one compared to demon souls already. Things like holding a bow and sword when I forgot to change the shield back etc..

Not really sure what the humanity and hollowed is about yet, anyone have a good explanation?

Also where the hell do i buy the thing to allow me write messages and rate them?

Won't be playing it until tomorrow now but last I left it I wasn't really sure where I was going to go next. I was just after finding a mystery key where that Hog like demon was and I've no idea where to use it. Only other place I can think of going is to the forrest area. Was there for a second just to see what it was like and then ran back up the stairs cause the guy gaurding the door looked pretty tough!

Best game of the year so far anyway and i'm only a few hours in, it'll take some topping

I just killed the Red Dragon with a SINGLE arrow from atop the battlements where the Dark Knight is. Shot him and he flew up abit then dissapeared 30 seconds later i get 10k souls. lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I just killed the Red Dragon with a SINGLE arrow from atop the battlements where the Dark Knight is. Shot him and he flew up abit then dissapeared 30 seconds later i get 10k souls. lol...

Batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ok, will try help even though know f**k all myself.
    tok9 wrote: »
    Not really sure what the humanity and hollowed is about yet, anyone have a good explanation?

From what i have gathered, being human allows you to kindle torchpits (which give you 1 extra potion if some one rests there), and it also increases the drop rate for items (not 100% on this).
    Also where the hell do i buy the thing to allow me write messages and rate them?

Outside the firepit in the Undead Burg, go right down soem steps then left to two spear skeletons. Some stairs hidden below all the boxes, another axe skeleton and a merchant on a balcony. Orange soapstone /chalk /whatever is used for writting /rating, only costs 100 (infinite uses).
    I was just after finding a mystery key where that Hog like demon was and I've no idea where to use it. Only other place I can think of going is to the forrest area. Was there for a second just to see what it was like and then ran back up the stairs cause the guy gaurding the door looked pretty tough!

Key is for a cell furthur in the Parish area, you can find it yourself ;) . There should be a path round the edge of the castle that leads to the church area behind the portcullis where the boar was. Just check everywhere, I missed the whole area under the Firelink Shrine until I saw it was there in a vid online, and the graveyard with the bleedin fast skeletons.

• Advertisement

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Ok, will try help even though know f**k all myself.

From what i have gathered, being human allows you to kindle torchpits (which give you 1 extra potion if some one rests there), and it also increases the drop rate for items (not 100% on this).

Just to add to what Gunmonkey said here about Humanity. If your 00 in the top left is dark your undead, if its bright your human. Stacking humanity as an undead is useless, but if you use 1 humanity you can make yourself human at the bonfire (Reverse Hollowing) You can also "Kinde" the bonfire which will increase flasks gained from that and only that bonfire by 5. But you must be human to kindle a bonfire. When someone kindles in their world you will get a free flask for your character.

When you become human your resistances increase (I know Curse does, as for the other i dont know) and enemy drop rates increase. But if your stack humanity when your in human form each point increases drop rate by another 10! Increasing to a cap at 210 Item Find. 100 in undead form 110 in human form and so on and so forth. For example the Boar boss in the undead parish drops a unique helm. But when you kill him if he doesnt drop it you have to wait till NG+ to get said helm. High risk high reward system. Or you can just luck out and get the helm as an undead :D

I think humanity can also effect the in game covenants. Some need low humanity and some need high, but i have yet to discover such covenants.

Advertisement