Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCU or UCD (Smurfit) Masters in Accounting?

Options
  • 30-07-2007 5:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I have offers of a place in UCD and DCU Masters in Accounting programmes and €7000 sponsorship from KPMG.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. UCD is more expensive and would necessitate €3500 of your own money going torwards fees. It also has a better rep but is on an outlying campus (Blackrock).

I was wondering if any posters had any thoughts on which I should go for? Is Smurfit worth the extra money? The end result (a Masters in Accounting) is the same, isn't it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I can't get over how expensive MBA's or now (it seems) Masters in Accounting are. They are a complete rip off. €10.5k per year is a joke, when you can do other masters for a couple of grand.

With that said, I'll probably do one eventually, although most probably the ACCA subsidised/fast-track one.

At least you'll be able to claim tax relief on the fees paid by yourself. Actually, would you have to pay BIK on the €7k paid by work?

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Louth Man

smcgiff wrote:
    At least you'll be able to claim tax relief on the fees paid by yourself. Actually, would you have to pay BIK on the €7k paid by work?
    Good luck!

No, as far as I know, because I am not officially employed by them yet. I've signed a training contract but I am not due to start with them until September 2008.

There'd probably be some sort of gift tax then or something. The Taxman will have his evil way. Anyway, you'll be working for a good crowd to be able to tell you where you stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

Louthman,

how do you go about getting them to sponsor you? Did you mention it to them during your interview that you'd like to do a Macc or did they suggest it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You get tax relief on fees paid in 2008 if you start work in Sept 08.

Make sure your contribution is paid in Semester 2 rather than Semester 1.

Smurfit is a really nice college. Not that you'll get to enjoy it much on that course :D. Seems very tough. A lot easier than the exams it exempts you from though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Well I didn't apply to UCD, but I can't see there being much advantage either way, seeing as we've already secured our contracts in KPMG, and once we get the accounting qualifications it won't matter what Masters we have.

I'm only doing it for the exemptions, and I think they both give the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Go for whichever one is closer/handier, and will impact your quality of life/pocket least.

Reputation of these masters doesn't really mean much tbh. Your training contract and performance is what is important.

Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

ballooba wrote:
    A lot easier than the exams it exempts you from though.

I heard Smurfit was simple but I didn't realise it was that easy!

Back OT, go for whichever college is handier for you. Your masters is immaterial once you've completed your training contract anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

would you have to pay BIK on the €7k paid by work
    Surely if you were an employee then this is just a form of training which is not taxable, sure nearly all empoyers subsidise or pay to some degree accountancy exams and these are not taxable

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

louthman,

I would recommed DCU given that it's probably closer to you, less expensive and better facilities than Smurfitt. The courses themselves are very similar. Although I hear you can do a thesis with one other person in UCD which would make things a bit easier.

I did the Masters in DCU but I have friends who completed the MAcc in UCD. From what I know there is very little difference. And as the Hustler said your accounting qualification is the main thing. I'm from Louth myself and work in KPMG. Best of luck with the masters and your future career.

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

smcgiff wrote:
    I can't get over how expensive MBA's or now (it seems) Masters in Accounting are. They are a complete rip off.

On what, Oh Great One, is the above piece of very critical analysis based?

Perhaps what is more interesting is that KPMG will put up 7k to enable a bunch of exemptions in the exams be obtained

ircoha wrote:
    On what, Oh Great One, is the above piece of very critical analysis based?

I used a technique I like to call reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

all of the big 4 will sponsor you to do a masters in accountancy its a box to tick on the application form.

You get a 3 yr instead of a 3.5 yr training contract (which is nice) and there are no tax implications to them paying the fees. You will do your finals in your second year, therefore if you arent doing the tax exams you have no exams (or study leave :() in years 1 and 3.

I personally did the macc in smurfit and trained in kpmg and thoroughly enjoyed the experience (altho the MACC is tough at times and KPMG is very tough at certain parts of the year)

For me i went to UCD (altho i did B&L not commerce) so Smurfit made sense for me. Smurfit will be 90% UCD heads so it can be overwhelming for 'outsiders', that said Smurfit is a more prestigous facility and a lovely campus so up to you!

any questions feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I always suspected the reason for the 10k+ fees is that they are aware of the fact that the Big 4 will pay for most of it anyway, so the student doesn't relaly mind as much.

I doubt anyone in their right mind would pay the full whack of fees themself.

The Big 4 save in the form of about 3 months' study leave that the person would otherwise take so it's not the greatest cost to them in actuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Forget about prestige is right. It doesn't matter a damn, the only thing that does is the exemptions and not getting the study leave :D

The big4 more than recoup their outlay during the summer months when prof2 and prof3'ers are kicking back!

Hi,

Dont go to Smurfit for the 'lovely campus' anyway thats a total fad the place looks nice from the foyer but when you see what its like inside its only a bit above an average campus to be honest.

Plus (and maybe it wont matter to you) but i felt the atmosphere on campus was a joke - its non-existent imo and i had a great class (not MACC mind) my flatmates were in that class and its tough alright, I lived at UCD if you live on campus at Smurfit I would imagine youd get cabin fever fairly quick though it would be handier to be near the school. Forget about any prestige for something like accountancy you dont need it anyway!

If you intend on commuting from home its not worth it imo, i'd do DCU. Your best bet is to ask some accountants what they think.

im an accountant and id recommend smurfit and its a much much nicer place than DCU IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Louth Man

Well, in the event I went with DCU. It's got a good atmosphere and social life, and am enjoying maintaining the student lifestyle for another wee while longer.

The course is hard but am so far in denial about the amount of work piling up, cést la vie, next week is reading week so hopefully it'll all get down then.... hopefully.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Cyrus wrote: »
    im an accountant and id recommend smurfit and its a much much nicer place than DCU IMO.

You made the correct choice louth man closer to Louth too for the trips home on teh weekend.

Cyrus well done on being an accountant - when i said Louth man should ask an accountant i meant for some career advise it was exactly that; not for subjective viewpoints on the 'niceness' (its hardly the aesthetics anyway) of Smurfit - as I said above i've been and left and never missed the the place !

well i recommended smurfit and then said it was nicer

its a more prestigous school and if you think that doesnt matter then you are wrong, that said im sure dcu is a good course and you wont go far wrong.

Given the choice tho i would recommend smurfit everytime.

Pity you didnt like it, and thanks for the congratulations i appreciate it :D

well i recommended smurfit and then said it was nicer

its a more prestigous school and if you think that doesnt matter then you are wrong, that said im sure dcu is a good course and you wont go far wrong.

Given the choice tho i would recommend smurfit everytime.

Pity you didnt like it, and thanks for the congratulations i appreciate it :D

Thats one of the most impractical posts i have seen on boards.

Bear in mind for Louthman DCU is closer, cheaper and more lively (which he wanted) with same end result, your on cloud 9 pal !

How are you an accountant? To think you may actually give advice to people on their finances when your reasoning to go to a school is prestige and becasue its "nice" are you for real dude?

You may have passed you acca or whatever it is but with an outlook like that you'll never do that well IMO.

• Advertisement

you know what its not worth the bother, no need for me to get personal because you did

you didnt like smurfit, maybe you didnt fit in, sorry to hear it boo hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Louth Man wrote: »
    Well, in the event I went with DCU. It's got a good atmosphere and social life, and am enjoying maintaining the student lifestyle for another wee while longer.

The course is hard but am so far in denial about the amount of work piling up, cést la vie, next week is reading week so hopefully it'll all get down then.... hopefully.. ;)

I think we all are. Nice class night out tonight to help us forget too.

you know what its not worth the bother, no need for me to get personal because you did

you didnt like smurfit, maybe you didnt fit in, sorry to hear it boo hoo

Oh ya sure did nt i say above my class were a great bunch. It was the school that was the thing its def over rated I know lots that thought the same.

You think its prestige makes it worthwhile oh ya its 'nice' too. QED for sure blah

You can't even read.....................:eek:

yeah i cant read, are you sure you went to smurfit, you are either 12 or have the mental age of a 12 year old.... both should prevent you getting in :D

yeah i cant read, are you sure you went to smurfit, you are either 12 or have the mental age of a 12 year old.... both should prevent you getting in :D

FYI Yes I am sure I went there i said it above but your reading skills leave much to be desired; and being 12 or having a mental age (as you so eloquently put it) will indeed both prevent you from getting into Smurfit. So you are right there for once.

Its a pity cause seeing as its such a nice place they would probbably love it the prestige however would be wasted on a 12 yr old.:D

good man, id love to know what area you are in, im sure you are a prize employee, clever fella like you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 reverseswing

I am going into my third and final year in NUI Maynooth and want to do a Masters in Accountancy after I graduate.
    Obviously I am a long way off applying for a Masters but when I do, how to I go about getting sponsorship off the Big 4?
    Did the people here who got sponsorships wait to be approached or go asking the four companies?

I am going into my third and final year in NUI Maynooth and want to do a Masters in Accountancy after I graduate.
    Obviously I am a long way off applying for a Masters but when I do, how to I go about getting sponsorship off the Big 4?
    Did the people here who got sponsorships wait to be approached or go asking the four companies?

you need to apply for a trainee position with a big four firm, on the application (or it used to be anyway) is a box which you tick if you wish to be considered for masters sponsorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 reverseswing

And do most people apply for trainee positions in their final year?
    Would your respective university assist you in applying?

• Advertisement

you will need to look at the application forms, you apply in your final year, there is a closing date, its basically a massive job interview, 100s, maybe 1000s apply.

im not sure if your college will help, maybe so, ask.

you may find it a little difficult, rightly or wrongly, having done your degree in maynooth, my brother did finance out there and couldnt get an interview with any of the big4

Advertisement