Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Web hosting start-up website

• 03-03-2014 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Your opinion please on the design/layout of this website I'm currently building.

www.HostComb.ie

Thank you
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Wamba

I personally don't like your logo, looks a bit too 90s, I like the idea of joining the hive however, that is a neat marketing idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

There's an awful lot of information in a relatively small area. Try to lessen the amount of text. I can't quite put my hands on it, but it hurts my eyes. I'm not trying to be mean but it does make my eyes sore. Maybe it's the overbearing yellow. I'm not sure.

Oh, maybe it's just me. I don't do business with companies that advertise a mobile number. I may be in the minority, not sure. Geo [or non geo] numbers on VoIP are very cheap these days. You can get a good 1890 number directed to an 076 VoIP number for a fiver a month via BT. Something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭akagaby

Wamba wrote: »
    I personally don't like your logo, looks a bit too 90s, I like the idea of joining the hive however, that is a neat marketing idea.

Your feedback is much appreciated :) Love the logo :)

RangeR wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of information in a relatively small area. Try to lessen the amount of text. I can't quite put my hands on it, but it hurts my eyes. I'm not trying to be mean but it does make my eyes sore. Maybe it's the overbearing yellow. I'm not sure.

Oh, maybe it's just me. I don't do business with companies that advertise a mobile number. I may be in the minority, not sure. Geo [or non geo] numbers on VoIP are very cheap these days. You can get a good 1890 number directed to an 076 VoIP number for a fiver a month via BT. Something to consider.

Very hard to design something that everyone would like.
    I do agree with the point you made regarding the contact number.
    Your feedback is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

No privacy policy
    No tangible contact details
    No VAT details
    No company details
    No cookie details

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    No privacy policy
    No tangible contact details
    No VAT details
    No company details
    No cookie details

Thank you Blacknight, thank you :)
    • site still under development contact details on the way (getting office. tel numbers etc etc )
    • did not sell 37000 Euro worth of services yet (still at spending stage) so I'll register for VAT a bit later
    • I will display more company details asap
    • I'll sort out the cookie details asap
    ...and so much more to do :)

Thanks for all the info. Your time much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Not gonna lie - I think it's baaaad.

There's too much going on
    The colour scheme isn't great
    The "money back guarantee" and "price match" images are ugly/don't match
    The peeling effect on the "install whatever you want" banner is ugly
    All the different logos coming out looks a bit ugly too

It just looks very unprofessional. Probably would move straight on if I came across it yet alone hand over credit card details!

Have a look at some competitors. Quick Google brought up this. Much better approach in my opinion. You don't have to carbon copy it but you can always take some "inspiration"

Not gonna lie - I think it's baaaad.

There's too much going on
    The colour scheme isn't great
    The "money back guarantee" and "price match" images are ugly/don't match
    The peeling effect on the "install whatever you want" banner is ugly
    All the different logos coming out looks a bit ugly too

It just looks very unprofessional. Probably would move straight on if I came across it yet alone hand over credit card details!

Have a look at some competitors. Quick Google brought up this. Much better approach in my opinion. You don't have to carbon copy it but you can always take some "inspiration"

Thanks for your opinion :)

BTW....
    Quick Google?! brought up that?!
    You work for them or you designed it ?!
    Or what's the reason why that site came up in your search?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I kinda like the logo - It's never straight forward to plan and execute one of these in my opinion, so fair play to you.

I do agree with some of the other posters that the first page may be a little busy for a landing page...would you be better off with curtailing the features listing and guiding customers to a 'What's included' section.

I would also make reference to payment methods and no mention of Contract duration on initial page - is it for a rolling monthly period or is there a 1 year sign-up?

Also wondering why price is quoted in US Dollars as opposed to I assume primary target market currency of Euro on home page.

Well done though and I hope things go well for you - might even give you a try in future!

coxy123 wrote: »
    I kinda like the logo - It's never straight forward to plan and execute one of these in my opinion, so fair play to you.

I do agree with some of the other posters that the first page may be a little busy for a landing page...would you be better off with curtailing the features listing and guiding customers to a 'What's included' section.

I would also make reference to payment methods and no mention of Contract duration on initial page - is it for a rolling monthly period or is there a 1 year sign-up?

Also wondering why price is quoted in US Dollars as opposed to I assume primary target market currency of Euro on home page.

Well done though and I hope things go well for you - might even give you a try in future!

Don't know why, but i prefer to see as much as possible above the fold. Too lazy to scroll down, or I'm just still brainwashed by those "heat-maps".
    Not sure :)

The plan is to have a contract for a year, with money back if someone cancels within 30 days for whatever reason. (this would apply to hosting) T+C will apply if they got a free domain.
    I guess i have to work on the above and make it more visible. (aaaaaaaa the small print). I'm not trying to hide anything, I'm trying to be fair.

The price is in Dollars, because you accessed the clients area, then clicked the "home" link, and you arrived on the .com domain :) I have to find a "cure" to that.

And finally thanks for taking the time to look at the site, and you're more than welcome to test the services anytime.

• Advertisement

akagaby wrote: »
    Don't know why, but i prefer to see as much as possible above the fold. Too lazy to scroll down, or I'm just still brainwashed by those "heat-maps".
    Not sure :)

Just an observation. "The fold" is an idea from print media. It doesn't exist on the web. I understand what you mean but different people have different size screens but the world and their dog are well used to scrolling.

Blacknight doesn't work for Spiral. The hint is in the name :) He was just trying to show you an uncluttered home page in the same business area. He obviously couldn't show you his as it would be seen in a dim light as the quickest way to a banning around these here parts is for hosting providers to start a turf war.

RangeR wrote: »
    Just an observation. "The fold" is an idea from print media. It doesn't exist on the web. I understand what you mean but different people have different size screens but the world and their dog are well used to scrolling.

Blacknight doesn't work for Spiral. The hint is in the name :) He was just trying to show you an uncluttered home page in the same business area. He obviously couldn't show you his as it would be seen in a dim light as the quickest way to a banning around these here parts is for hosting providers to start a turf war.

Yes is true about the dogs and the scrolling :)

Regarding the link to Spiral, it was not posted by Blacknight :) Was posted bycarlmango11 :)

Thanks for your message

BTW..
    Got my phone number in order. Hard to find a half decent land line number, but I finally have it up and running :)

Regarding the link to Spiral, it was not posted by Blacknight :) Was posted bycarlmango11 :)
    Dammit, my bad.
    BTW..
    Got my phone number in order. Hard to find a half decent land line number, but I finally have it up and running :)

I know what you mean but well done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I really thought hard before responding to this post as I wasn't entirely sure if you were genuinely looking for responses or just cheap advertising.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt:

It's horrible, it screams 'cheap back-bedroom reseller account'.

I've even deleted the part of my response which addresses the 'unlimited' resources you offer for less than €7 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The main things I would point out:

- The colour scheme is too busy.
    - The orange bar that runs across the full width of the window should instead be matched to the width of the yellow/gold section behind it.
    - The expansion when you hit "See all features" is unsightly. A minimal fix for this would be to expand to a list of sub-headings, which can be further expanded. Though in reality I would suggest completely redesigning this.
    - The logos above the footer look very unprofessional and actually over overlap with the footer, obscuring the "Follow us" and "Contact us" links.

I think tackling the above list would dramatically improve the look and feel of the site, although there is more that could be done.

Graham wrote: »
    I really thought hard before responding to this post as I wasn't entirely sure if you were genuinely looking for responses or just cheap advertising.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt:

It's horrible, it screams 'cheap back-bedroom reseller account'.

I've even deleted the part of my response which addresses the 'unlimited' resources you offer for less than €7 a month.

No, not looking for cheap advertising (here).
    As regarding the services this company provides, i can assure you is not "cheap back-bedroom reseller account"
    And there are plenty of hosts, offering what i offer. Have to be competitive, don't you think?
    And thanks for your opinion.

The main things I would point out:

- The colour scheme is too busy.
    - The orange bar that runs across the full width of the window should instead be matched to the width of the yellow/gold section behind it.
    - The expansion when you hit "See all features" is unsightly. A minimal fix for this would be to expand to a list of sub-headings, which can be further expanded. Though in reality I would suggest completely redesigning this.
    - The logos above the footer look very unprofessional and actually over overlap with the footer, obscuring the "Follow us" and "Contact us" links.

I think tackling the above list would dramatically improve the look and feel of the site, although there is more that could be done.

Thanks for the review.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

No, not looking for cheap advertising (here).
    As regarding the services this company provides, i can assure you is not "cheap back-bedroom reseller account"
    And there are plenty of hosts, offering what i offer. Have to be competitive, don't you think?
    And thanks for your opinion.

If there is a company, there is no indication of it on your website.
    If I have entirely the wrong opinion of your 'hosting operation' I am very open to being corrected

Graham wrote: »
    If there is a company, there is no indication of it on your website.
    If I have entirely the wrong opinion of your 'hosting operation' I am very open to being corrected

Its a legitimate Irish start-up company trying to get off the ground. I'll update the company related information on the site soon.
    And please don't judge the 'hosting operation' till you try it. No need to insult anyone here.

Advertisement