Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fish id please

• 24-03-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

hi, could somebody possibly id these fish.
    are they seatrout or salmon ?

2012-03-24124732.jpg

2012-03-24135118.jpg

thanks for looking

niall_b73

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

Sea Trout.

Square tail, mouth extends beyond the eye, and it looks like you caught them in salt/esturine water which would be very unusual for a Salmon.

Salmon will have a very pronounced forked tail as opposed to a square/convex trout tail and their mouth will be in line with the centre of their eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭niall_b73

effluent wrote: »
    Sea Trout.

Square tail, mouth extends beyond the eye, and it looks like you caught them in salt/esturine water which would be very unusual for a Salmon.

Salmon will have a very pronounced forked tail as opposed to a square/convex trout tail and their mouth will be in line with the centre of their eye.

thanks for that mate, yeah they were caught in an esturay but salmon are in the same water but can go no further because of a dam.

niall_b73

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

Niall-b73

When did you catch these and where.

I.caught them recently at a secret location.
    my first ever seatrout.
    why

niall_b73

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Erne estuary by any chance? ;)

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »

what would make you think there ?

niall_b73 wrote: »

i suppose if you red my other post on a different fourm you would prob no then

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

WHat did you catch them on niall? were you fishing for something else at the time?

SeaFields wrote: »
    WHat did you catch them on niall? were you fishing for something else at the time?

i was fishing for them alright and i caught a flounder as well
    i got them on sandeel.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fisherking

Well done!
    2 fine trout....
    SeaFields wrote: »

i was fishing for them alright and i caught a flounder as well
    i got them on sandeel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

No the reason I asked is that it's early but then again we don't get a run of sea trout until maybe June or July maybe later.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

the top one is definately a seatrout, im not to sure about the second though, the tail looks more like a salmon than a trout

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

The differences are highlighted on this link
    http://www.atlanticsalmontrust.org/knowledge/salmon-and-sea-trout-recognition.html

From experience I would think the top is an escapie salmon from a salmon farm. The tail tells a different story as does the line between the eye and mouth. I cannot see an adipose fin which may indicate its from a hatchery.

The 2nd pic I think is a seatrout, but the line between the eye and mouth is that of a salmon as is the tail. The spots are definate and present on the gil cover of the 2nd similar to that of a seatrout.

I have seen fish similar to these before that were classified as hybrids.

Confused:confused:

The differences are highlighted on this link
    http://www.atlanticsalmontrust.org/knowledge/salmon-and-sea-trout-recognition.html

From experience I would think the top is an escapie salmon from a salmon farm. The tail tells a different story as does the line between the eye and mouth. I cannot see an adipose fin which may indicate its from a hatchery.

The 2nd pic I think is a seatrout, but the line between the eye and mouth is that of a salmon as is the tail. The spots are definate and present on the gil cover of the 2nd similar to that of a seatrout.

I have seen fish similar to these before that were classified as hybrids.

Confused:confused:

and then i got this the other day
    fish.jpg

niall_b73

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I recognised the seaweed in the pic! :p

From your latest pic I'd say I wasn't far off... ;)

I recognised the seaweed in the pic! :p

From your latest pic I'd say I wasn't far off... ;)
    ;)

Advertisement