Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presidential Programme Last Night

• 10-11-2011 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

Anyone watch it - I turned onto in quite by accident. It was very funny how Bagman was talking in the back of the car, and also his "manager" was it. About how they had to make sure they avoided the mines, and how only a few more days to go and how they had to focus and make sure nothing bad came out (not word for word but along those lines). It was hilarious to watch.

Then the "manager" said - we avoided all the mines but missed that one (when it came out about his FF donation pick up). LOL

I must say he looked like a proper gombeen/thug - the thick head on him, the big neck hanging over his collar and when he was in studio the morning after it was a different bagman that we saw compared to the nicey nicey one on the streets. Any one catch the smart remark he made when leaving the studio that morning ? I couldn't catch it but I'd say he was seething.

:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

It was shocking,

41.07 IS THE REAL STORY. " A FAKE SINN FÉIN TWITTER ACCOUNT" WAS USED TO DECIDES A ELECTION, because RTÉ were to Lazy to check there information.
    This is the poorest Journalism in the history of irish boardcasting.

400,000 a year Pat Kenny should be fired for this.
    along with his Producter of the show and Director-General of RTÉ.

If this is let go with out any being fired or Reprimand, It means that a Rte person can accuse anyone of anything as long as they have a fake account on a social networking site and is able to type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

but it brought out the truth and alerted the people to the con-artist, thank goodness. It was the most exciting five minutes of the whole election and thankfully it opened the public's eyes before the damage was done. Pity something like that didn't happen years ago - we mightn't be in the position we are now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

It was shocking,

41.07 IS THE REAL STORY. " A FAKE SINN FÉIN TWITTER ACCOUNT" WAS USED TO DECIDES A ELECTION, because RTÉ were to Lazy to check there information.
    This is the poorest Journalism in the history of irish boardcasting.

400,000 a year Pat Kenny should be fired for this.
    along with his Producter of the show and Director-General of RTÉ.

If this is let go with out any being fired or Reprimand, It means that a Rte person can accuse anyone of anything as long as they have a fake account on a social networking site and is able to type.

You are dead right. It would have been much better for the country if Gallagher hadn't been found out and had've managed to lie his way into the Presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

While I believe that this was dirty trickery of the highest order perpetrated by Sinn Féin, it did expose the truth about Gallagher. I think that this was more important.

I think that Sinn Féin wanted to make sure that the bagman didn't become president and wanted to take him down. They knew about his past and chose the optimum time to ambush him. It was quite impressive, really.

but it brought out the truth and alerted the people to the con-artist, thank goodness. It was the most exciting five minutes of the whole election and thankfully it opened the public's eyes before the damage was done. Pity something like that didn't happen years ago - we mightn't be in the position we are now. ;)

OK. The problem is that the information was not checked.
    It leaves you and I open to the media attack without proof.
    I didn't vote for Gallagher But i BELIEVE that no-one EVERY should be ACCUSED of an action live on TV, Without the information be checked.

Call me a idiot if you like but i believe that people should be Innocent until proven guilty.

And i am trying to find a link where Sean Gallagher is confirmed to have collected the check in Question???

Not where he was a FF Bagman
    But did he call to Morgan House and receives the check. (Can see where Morgan Solicitor releases a statement), Can find anything from Morgan Himself. No TV interview or anything. ?????
    Remember this is what he was accused of, Pat Kenny said that Morgan was going to appear in public and confirm this, this has not happen.

Media freedom is very important but abuse of that freedom should not be accepted by one in this county. the Danger of a Media without morals and standard cannot be underestimated

• Advertisement

You are dead right. It would have been much better for the country if Gallagher hadn't been found out and had've managed to lie his way into the Presidency.

Yeah but does the end justify the means????

Will you be happy if it was a good candidate was attack in this way???
    OR IF ITS WAS YOU??
    If someone start spreading lie on Twitter about you and them they were on TV, would you be so happy??? do you think that ok??
    Is it ok for me to set up an account and just start making thing up to further my ambition at your expense?

While I believe that this was dirty trickery of the highest order perpetrated by Sinn Féin, it did expose the truth about Gallagher. I think that this was more important.

I think that Sinn Féin wanted to make sure that the bagman didn't become president and wanted to take him down. They knew about his past and chose the optimum time to ambush him. It was quite impressive, really.

Its like Sinn Féin have being practicing ambushing people for years the way they pulled it off................................. ;)

OK. The problem is that the information was not checked.
    It leaves you and I open to the media attack without proof.
    I didn't vote for Gallagher But i BELIEVE that no-one EVERY should be ACCUSED of an action live on TV, Without the information be checked.

Call me a idiot if you like but i believe that people should be Innocent until proven guilty.

Media freedom is very important but abuse of that freedom should not be accepted by one in this county. the Danger of a Media with morals and standard cannot be underestimated

I completely agree. that Miriiam O Callagan one calling Martin McGuinness a murderer was an outrage. How dare she.

I completely agree. that Miriiam O Callagan one calling Martin McGuinness a murderer was an outrage. How dare she.

yeah, i agree it was outrages, she should have be reprimand for it.

Media freedom is very important but abuse of that freedom should not be accepted by anyone in this county. the Danger of a Media without morals and standard cannot be underestimated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

It has done no such thing. The answers to the questions about what did or didn't happen are still not clear. The election may have been decided based on a meeting we now know could not have taken place when McGuinness originally said it did. Kenny should be severely reprimanded. The ends do not justify the means. The veravcity of twitter/social networking accounts should be verified before they are cited as representing any party. Otherwise mischief-makers can set up false accounts claiming to be a party, organisation or person, float false allegations around e.g. that SF were going to unveil someone at a press conference, and have that reported as factual by the state-funded broadcaster.

• Advertisement

And for those who do believe that the accusation against Sean Gallagher made on frontline,

go to 46.01 of the this programme and the comment "that some of the allegations against Gallagher last night are failing to stack up "

There was only one allegation made against Gallagher on the night, so there can only be one allegation that wasn’t stacking up.

This is RTE comment on an RTE programme, They mislead the public by not checking there information.

Unbelieve unprofessional for RTE and its Staff..

look, people aren't stupid - there must have been some truth in it cause gallagher folded like a bad deal of cards. If he had nothing to hide he wouldn't have been spouting and spurting and trying to cover himself. He was telling lies - end of and the truth came out in the end.

If nothing like this ever happened he would have had no problems defending himself against the lies, but he sh*t himself and it all came out.

Thats what happens when you try to cover things up. The way it came out was class.

toxicity

can you remember the comment he made while he was running out the door after the radio interview the next morning. I didn't catch it, but I think he was fuming. The guy working in the studio didn't seem to be too bothered.

look, people aren't stupid - there must have been some truth in it cause gallagher folded like a bad deal of cards. If he had nothing to hide he wouldn't have been spouting and spurting and trying to cover himself. He was telling lies - end of and the truth came out in the end.

Again i ask for a link to the truth??
    where is Morgan interview?? where is the man the public should have see?? Where Is Morgan????

If nothing like this ever happened he would have had no problems defending himself against the lies, but he sh*t himself and it all came out. Thats what happens when you try to cover things up. The way it came out was class

If i was accused of stelling €5 euro in front of 2 people i be nervous.
    If i was accused of taking €5000 in front of 500,000 people i be ****ting myself..
    If i wasn't nervous under pressure. I be a psychopath,

but you wouldn't be "under pressure" if you didn't do it. YOu would be smug and confident in yourself. :D

toxicity

can you remember the comment he made while he was running out the door after the radio interview the next morning. I didn't catch it, but I think he was fuming. The guy working in the studio didn't seem to be too bothered.

Didn't hear it, Just Tried again, Just can't make it out.

But if it was me, It would have being Pat Kenny and his staff are ****king Wanker. Or something along that line.
    i listen to that interview a while ago. It was a again a load of ****, the call were all against him. everytime he tried to talk Kenny just talk over him.
    Kenny never said that it was an unoffical account, Never said that Sinn Féin would not produce Mr. Mogan?? Never Correct his Mistake??

but you wouldn't be "under pressure" if you didn't do it. YOu would be smug and confident in yourself. :D

Again, where or not the allegation are true doesn't matter,
    Anyone how is accused of even the small thing will automatic feel the pressure. If you don't feel this it one of the signs of a psychopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Again, where or not the allegation are true doesn't matter

Rubbish, that's all that matters.

Do you think any of the other candidates would have had difficulty answering the question? Would Norris, for example, deny collecting money and than later say that Morgan might have given him an envelope?

Of course not, it's ridiculous. The reason Gallagher did was because he knew it was perfectly possible that Morgan did give him an envelope, and that Morgan might come out next day and say so at a press conference. He was caught lying.

The source of the tweet is completely irrelevant, Gallagher did the damage to himself.

Rubbish, that's all that matters.

Ok, If you read the complete thing you see i was talking about Gallagher being under pressure in this situation.
    Not where the truth was told and the show..
    Do you think any of the other candidates would have had difficulty answering the question? Would Norris, for example, deny collecting money and than later say that Morgan might have given him an envelope?

Did Norris not have a Hard time Answering Question about the Letter he wrote and he didn't get ambushed on live TV By a Fake Account and a Ass with TV show.
    Of course not, it's ridiculous. The reason Gallagher did was because he knew it was perfectly possible that Morgan did give him an envelope, and that Morgan might come out next day and say so at a press conference. He was caught lying.The source of the tweet is completely irrelevant, Gallagher did the damage to himself

Ok, Morgan was invited to attend a party he didn’t have to go, He went made a donation to FF. I can’t comment further on this for the reason is one can send the link to Mr. Morgan interview where he in person said that he gave the check to Sean Gallagher. Please If you have it Send it to me.
    I girlfriend works in a hotel, a Political party had a function there a few weeks ago and the was a safe behind the counter where you could leave you Donations with the Reception, So this mean that my Girlfriend took Political Donations for a party.
    The Twitter source is the main EVENT; Nothing coming up to this EVENT was as damaging as That 2 mins of TV. The Problem Is the Tweet was Fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Aside from what happened Gallagher with the fake Shinner account, the media came across very poorly on the show. Looked like self-important pompous d**ks completely up their own holes. Fergal Keanes comment about the real winner being the media, how they picked up the candidates and slapped them around like a fly until they were tired of them and moved on, and thats how it should be, was particularly galling, as well as worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

The Twitter source is the main EVENT; Nothing coming up to this EVENT was as damaging as That 2 mins of TV. The Problem Is the Tweet was Fake.

Eh no. The main issue was that Gallagher said he never solicited money for FF. Then because of the twitter incident the truth came out that he had indeed solicited money. He admitted this on the Front Line and on 6.01 the following day, saying he called up Morgan and several other businessmen looking for money for FF. So he been blatantly lying when he said he hadn't solicited money. Dobbo even nailed him on another lie as he had also said he had never called up anyone he didnt know looking for money, then Dobbo showed up him for a liar yet again when he put it to Gallagher that he was saying he didnt know who Morgan was yet he was calling him looking for cash.

The twitter incident just brought the truth out. And thank god it did and it showed up what a liar the Bagman is.

Again, where or not the allegation are true doesn't matter,
    Anyone how is accused of even the small thing will automatic feel the pressure. If you don't feel this it one of the signs of a psychopath.

you're totally wrong there - if it were not true he would not be under pressure. In fact he would have said "get morgan on here and lets get to the truth". He didn't - he fumbled and tripped over himself, which mean that something went on with morgan (he did actually know exactly who he was when asked). Or maybe more than one of these things went on and he was trying to figure out which time it was. If nothing happened he would not have flinched.

As the last poster said - if the same question was asked of the other candidates they would have laughed in the fface of Kenny.

you're totally wrong there - if it were not true he would not be under pressure. In fact he would have said "get morgan on here and lets get to the truth". He didn't - he fumbled and tripped over himself, which mean that something went on with morgan (he did actually know exactly who he was when asked). Or maybe more than one of these things went on and he was trying to figure out which time it was. If nothing happened he would not have flinched.

As the last poster said - if the same question was asked of the other candidates they would have laughed in the fface of Kenny.

I Dont beleive that for a second.
    if he said, get him on hear and lets get to the truth. "the Shinner" would have said there he trying to drag a person private life to a Political Debate, This would be complete immoral. and "the Shinner" would have a field day.
    you can Imaging MCG Saying:
    "Mr morgan is an Honorable and private person who not enjoy being in the public eye and i feel sorry that Mr. Gallagher has drag him into the media glare"

and you the miss the fact that as RTÉ put it" that some of the allegations against Gallagher last night are failing to stack up " AS IN NOT TRUE.
    know Gallagher got money for FF. My major problem is that people can be accused of something Without Proof, Be found Guilty Without Proof and Convicted Without Proof Live on TV.
    and People think that is a good thing.

we had this a few month ago, with a Priest in Galway, Accused of Father a child By raping a girl, Put on trial, be found guilty, and then weeks later be found out that it was completely lies.
    are we happy with this as a people, as a county?? Is this what we want?? Where anyone can be accused of the most Horrible Crime without any proof?? Are we haappy because It could be might bring to light some that might be true???
    I'm shocked that people are not upset at this could happen??

This will come to a head when some is accused of doing something they didn't, and end up Kill themself and them everyone will be up in arms.
    but it be too late then.

Eh no. The main issue was that Gallagher said he never solicited money for FF. Then because of the twitter incident the truth came out that he had indeed solicited money. He admitted this on the Front Line and on 6.01 the following day, saying he called up Morgan and several other businessmen looking for money for FF. So he been blatantly lying when he said he hadn't solicited money. Dobbo even nailed him on another lie as he had also said he had never called up anyone he didnt know looking for money, then Dobbo showed up him for a liar yet again when he put it to Gallagher that he was saying he didnt know who Morgan was yet he was calling him looking for cash.

The twitter incident just brought the truth out. And thank god it did and it showed up what a liar the Bagman is.

So Trial, and Conviction by lies and misinformation are fine. As long as the most of the people feel we got the wright result???

This will come to a head when some is accused of doing something they didn't, and end up Kill themself and them everyone will be up in arms.
    but it be too late then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Let's be clear about this , Gallagher was lying all the way through the campaign.
    Big lies , little lies, exaggerations, embellishments. In my view he was a dishonest character

I was glad the shinners exposed the liar. I will never vote for them , but they did the country a favour.

Hats off to Pat the Plank and Miriam , gloves were off . The only time I felt I got value for money on my Tv license

raymon wrote: »
    Let's be clear about this , Gallagher was lying all the way through the campaign.
    Big lies , little lies, exaggerations, embellishments. In my view he was a dishonest character

I was glad the shinners exposed the liar. I will never vote for them , but they did the country a favour.

Hats off to Pat the Plank and Miriam , gloves were off . The only time I felt I got value for money on my Tv license

So be very Clear about this your very happy that any candidate or member of the public can be attack by a Journalist without proof and without the story being in anyway true. As long as you think that you got the correct outcome???

So I'm a Journalist, So Im going to set up a twitter acount and say that i can produce a man that will confirm that "raymon" took €5000 for the company you use to work for and that fine?? So Did you take the €5000?? Or as Its €10000???

So be very Clear about this your very happy that any candidate or member of the public can be attack by a Journalist without proof and without the story being in anyway true. As long as you think that you got the correct outcome???

So I'm a Journalist, So Im going to set up a twitter acount and say that i can produce a man that will confirm that "raymon" took €5000 for the company you use to work for and that fine?? So Did you take the €5000?? Or as Its €10000???

Knowing clearly in my mind that I was not dishonest , I would immediately deny the allegation outright.
    I would not fumble , I would not conduct interviews admitting and then kind of admitting it and then denying the allegation.
    I would challenge the accuser to produce the man.
    I would also not have based my campaign on lies , exaggerations and embellishments in the first place.

raymon wrote: »
    Knowing clearly in my mind that I was not dishonest , I would immediately deny the allegation outright.
    I would not fumble , I would not conduct interviews admitting and then kind of admitting it and then denying the allegation.
    I would challenge the accuser to produce the man.
    I would also not have based my campaign on lies , exaggerations and embellishments in the first place.

Isn't It great to have 16 mins to have a deep breath and write a reply,
    Compared to being attacked live on TV infront of the county.

Gallagher knew about these allegations for days before the broadcast ....... according to himself. He should have had ample time to have a "mature recollection "

I agree that the shinners were a bit nasty and that the plank could have handled it more professionally, but if Gallagher was 100% truthful during his campaign he wouldn't have tripped himself up.

He admitted to Brian Dobson that he had solicited donations from people and invited people he didn't know. This was in complete contradiction to earlier statements.

The minutae of whether the visit was to his house or business, or whether it was a cheque or an envelope, whether it was before or after the event, whether Gallagher posted the envelope or hand delivered it to FF are all irrelevant.

• Advertisement

again, if he had nothing to hide, the question would not have bothered him. :D He did have something to hide, and therefore the question exposed his dishonesty.

Advertisement