Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text monitoring

• 04-02-2010 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

I am aware that certain mobile phone networks store text messages for certain periods and that Gardai can access them without a warrant. What I'm wondering is if anybody is aware if there are government\semi private bodies doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Hi as far as im aware its just in the US this is going on. In ireland I havent been told about this happening, but lets face it all your texts and yes evnen the deleted ones can be easliy recovered from a phone just like files on a pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The Data Protection Act stipulates that data which can identify a person should not be held any longer then it is needed for the purpose it was collected for,

A big huge loop hole the size of the Grand Canyon!

Text messages are stored in Ireland. The Bush administration in the US satrted it after September 11th and got several allies around the world to follow suit....including Ireland. Not ALL thext messages are stored however, they are scanned for suspicious charachter strings and if found, all texts from that number will be kept.

Not only text messages but also activity relating to WAP Gateway usage.

Top secret. Shhh. I didn't tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Feownah

Yes your text messages etc can be retrieved by the Garda siocalona. Nothing is 'Private' in this world. Watched a programme recently on how companies such as google and internet providers have records of your 'searches' and websites that you have gone to. All this data being kept about YOU.

Advertisement