Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Every day I become more glad that I got the hell out of Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

^^^^^^^^^^

:eek::eek::eek:
    That person needs to be advised...

Facebook is full of trolls. :D:p

Sarky wrote: »
    Every day I become more glad that I got the hell out of Facebook.

You can never leave facebook my friend. They actually have more rights to you than the church.

Funny thing is, people actually sign the agreements.

Well, before I left I did change all my personal details to a load of bollocks I thought was amusing. They are more than welcome to the personal details of Professor/Emperor Sarky, Qualified Breast Inspector with a keen interest in pocket lint and Nazi/Gears Of War slashfic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Well, before I left I did change all my personal details to a load of bollocks I thought was amusing. They are more than welcome to the personal details of Professor/Emperor Sarky, Qualified Breast Inspector with a keen interest in pocket lint and Nazi/Gears Of War slashfic.
    LOL, as far as Facebook knows I'm 85 and live in a mental institution.

• Advertisement

Huh, maybe people like us are the reason advertising is so bloody stupid these days.

Huh, maybe people like us are the reason advertising is so bloody stupid these days.
    Interesting idea. I think I'll take it as a challenge to get even weirder.

I think you'll find that marketing directors thinking they could get free research information by paying social networking sites for data, is the problem.

2+2=5 thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

kylith wrote: »
    LOL, as far as Facebook knows I'm 85 and live in a mental institution.

Sshh... nobody tell kylith that he's 85 and lives in a mental institution. He'll just try to escape again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

robindch wrote: »
    PRobably my favorite part of Oh God No was the part about the ex Hasids.

In fairness no-one's banned prayers, they've just been taken off the agenda. Anyone who wants to get some praying done can go in early and do it before the meeting starts.

All that nonsense about their queen's jubilee is just obfusticating the issue.

Why do they even need to pray for a council meeting anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

dmw07 wrote: »

"Communities Secretary Eric Pickles described the ruling as ‘very illiberal’.
    He said: ‘The ruling is surprising and disappointing. Christianity plays an important part in the culture, heritage and fabric of our nation.’
    He vowed to override the High Court ruling by bringing in the Government’s Localism Act, which would give councils the power to hold prayers at the start of meetings, as early as next Friday"

Watch this space, it may be just a knee jerk reaction but the guy is cabinet minister.... that story could run and run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Penn wrote: »
    Why do they even need to pray for a council meeting anyway?
    They're civil servants. It would take divine intervention to get them to do work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/10/interpol-journalist-arrested-muhammad-tweet
    Interpol has been accused of abusing its powers after Saudi Arabia used the organisation's red notice system to get a journalist arrested in Malaysia for insulting the Prophet Muhammad.

Police in Kuala Lumpur said Hamza Kashgari, 23, was detained at the airport "following a request made to us by Interpol" the international police cooperation agency, on behalf of the Saudi authorities.

What was it then that caused the Saudis to issue an international arrest order?
    It was this message:
    "I have loved things about you and I have hated things about you and there is a lot I don't understand about you … I will not pray for you."

More than 13,000 people joined a Facebook page titled "The Saudi People Demand the Execution of Hamza Kashgari".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's stuff like that which makes me grateful that I was born in Ireland. Sure it's not perfect but it's not psychotically scary either!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gpQRnwpootZot3dABRpS168QzLbg?docId=CNG.b7b84d73ae0e2b3179e9deb594bd393e.481
    MALE — At the Maldives' National Museum, smashed Buddhist statues are testament to the rise of Islamic extremism and Taliban-style intolerance in a country famous as a laid-back holiday destination.

On Tuesday, as protesters backed by mutinous police toppled president Mohamed Nasheed, a handful of men stormed the Chinese-built museum and destroyed its display of priceless artefacts from the nation's pre-Islamic era.

"They have effectively erased all evidence of our Buddhist past," a senior museum official told AFP at the now shuttered building in the capital Male, asking not to be named out of fear for his own safety.

"We lost all our 12th century statues. They were made of coral stone and limestone. They are very brittle and there is no way we can restore them," he explained.

"I wept when I heard that the entire display had gone. We are good Muslims and we treated these statues only as part of our heritage. It is not against Islam to display these exhibits," he said.

Five people have since been arrested after they returned the following day to smash the CCTV cameras, he said.

The authorities have banned photography of the damage, conscious that vandalism of this kind which echoes the 2001 destruction of the Bamiyan Buddha statues in Afghanistan by the Taliban is damaging for the nation's image.

The gates of the two-storeyed grey building, which opened in 2010, are padlocked and an unarmed guard keeps watch.

The Maldives, a collection of more than 1,100 coral-fringed islands surrounded by turquoise seas, is known as a "paradise" holiday destination that draws hundreds of thousands of travellers and honeymooners each year.

Visitors' contact with the local population is deliberately kept at bay, however, with most foreigners simply transferring from the main international airport directly to their five-star resorts on outlying islands.

Few have any idea they are visiting a country of 330,000 Muslims with no religious freedom, where women can be flogged for extramarital sex and consuming alcohol is illegal for locals.

Islam is the official religion of the Maldives and open practice of any other religion is forbidden and liable to prosecution.

The religious origins of the Maldivian people are not clearly established, but it is believed that a Buddhist king converted to Islam in the 12th century.

Thereafter, the country practised a mostly liberal form of the religion, but more fundamentalist interpretations have spread with the arrival of money and ultra-conservative Salafist preachers from the Middle East.

In 2007, following a bombing that wounded a dozen foreign tourists, the former president Maumoon Abdul Gayoom banned head-to-toe coverings for women as a sign of his intent to battle conservative Islamic thinking.

At the museum, another official said that fundamentalists had threatened to attack the museum on previous occasions unless it withdrew the Buddhist display.

The country's ultra-conservative Islamic group, the Adhaalath Party, condemned the attack, but said they remained opposed to Nasheed's decision to accept three monuments from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

"Our constitution does not allow idols and that is why we objected to the monuments," General Secretary Mohamed Muizzu said, referring to the gifts to mark a South Asian summit held in November in the Maldives.

The monuments, which included one of pillar featuring Buddhist motifs, and which had been on display in the southernmost island of Addu, have all since been vandalised.

The Adhaalath party supports new president Mohamed Waheed, who Nasheed accuses of taking part in a coup, and is due to join the new government.

Waheed called the museum attack "totally unacceptable" and denied there was religious violence in his country.

Former foreign minister Ahmed Naseem disagreed.

He said extremists were thriving in the Maldives and that they were partly responsible for the toppling of Nasheed and the installation of Waheed. "What we had was a military coup backed by religious extremists," he said.

"There is a strong influence of Islamic fundamentalists in the country and they will get stronger," Naseem told AFP. "These groups are funded from abroad. "This threat is not only to us, but the rest of the world as well."

The moderate Nasheed, who was educated in Sri Lanka and Britain, was consistently accused of being under the control of Jews and Christians by religious opposition parties now linked to the government

There were also demonstrations over proposals from the transport ministry to allow direct flights from Israel.

"We strongly condemn the anti-Semitic words and the other commentary recently," US assistant secretary of state for South Asian affairs Robert Blake said during a visit to Male on Saturday.

"Under President Nasheed, the Maldives tried to improve relations with Israel and showed what a progressive country they were and we really commend them for that."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

They store pictures that were deleted by users years ago (source). I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they still had your original information.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Civil Servants / Economy discussion has been moved here. :)

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2012/02/malaysia-celebrates-valentines-day-arresting-unmarried-couples/48659/
    Morality police in Malaysia kicked off Valentine's Day by raiding cheap hotel rooms to arrest more than 80 young Muslims trying to "celebrate" the holiday. The unmarried couples were charged with "close proximity," which is basically being alone with a member of the opposite sex, a crime that is punishable by jail terms of up to two years. Islamic religious officials have been conducting an anti-Valentine's Day campaign that dates back to 2005, based on the idea that the holiday is a "trap" that is "synonymous with vice" and leads to other immoral activities. The raids took place almost immediately after midnight on Tuesday and focused on budget hotels and public parks, suggesting that the "couples" may not have been together that long, making them easy targets for morality warriors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17032567
    Colombia priests 'hired own killers' in suicide pact

Two Colombian priests who were found shot dead in the capital Bogota a year ago themselves hired the assassins who killed them, prosecutors say.

They said the priests had agreed a suicide pact after one of them was diagnosed with Aids, but contracted hitmen because they could not bring themselves to carry it out.

Relatives of the dead priests insist they were victims of an armed robbery.

They have denied reports that they were involved in a gay relationship.

Two of the alleged killers are being prosecuted after being traced from calls made from the priests' phones.
    'Pray for me'

Father Richard Piffano, 37, and Father Rafael Reatiga, 35, were found shot dead in a car in southern Bogota in January 2011.

Prosecutors allege they paid the suspected hitmen around $8,500 (£5,440) to kill them and make it look like a robbery attempt.

The two priests had been friends since their training and often celebrated Mass and other religious services together, Colombia's El Tiempo newspaper reported.

In his final church service, Father Reatiga asked parishioners to pray to Santa Marta, the patron saint of lost causes, the paper reported, while Father Piffano asked his to "pray for me".

Suicide - like homosexual acts - is forbidden in the Catholic Church.

Speechless

muppeteer wrote: »
    Speechless

Read this on the metro this morning and immediately thought of this thread!

Their dogma, created this deranged arrangement.

They most likely died thinking they were dirty sinners. It's probably what led their minds so far, to inflict this cruel death upon themselves, truly horrifying way to die.

Executing yourself, to absolve yourself of imaginary sin.

god bless feeble minds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mormons apologise for baptising Simon Wiesenthal's parents

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/15/mormons-apologise-baptise-simon-wiesenthal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mormons apologise for baptising Simon Wiesenthal's parents
    They didn't apologize for baptizing George Carlin:

http://famousdeadmormons.com/index.php?id=206

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Pastor accidentally shoots daughter while selling gun to faithful:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_162-57376314/pastors-daughter-accidentally-shot-at-fla-church/

Saw that in the Indo yesterday. The mind boggles how people who own guns can be so ignorant of how they actually work. Apparently the poor girl is in critical condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Galvasean wrote: »
    The mind boggles how people who own guns can be so ignorant of how they actually work.
    The same way I suppose that so many people are ignorant of how a car (for example) actually works - if you put something on general sale with few or no conditions, then people will remain ignorant to how it works. That's the danger of poor or little gun control.

Apparently this is a very common injury in the U.S. with modern pistols where people pop out the magazine and then pull the trigger, assuming it's empty.

I think the most perplexing part is why a man of the cloth would need a licence to carry a concealed weapon.

robindch wrote: »
    They didn't apologize for baptizing George Carlin:

http://famousdeadmormons.com/index.php?id=206

THEY BAPTISED CARLIN?!

F*CK THEM ALL INTO THE GROUND!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Galvasean wrote: »
    Pastor accidentally shoots daughter while selling gun to faithful:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_162-57376314/pastors-daughter-accidentally-shot-at-fla-church/

Saw that in the Indo yesterday. The mind boggles how people who own guns can be so ignorant of how they actually work. Apparently the poor girl is in critical condition.

Pity he didn't shoot himself in the head instead; then he could have got a Darwin Award.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement