Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Americans who want to move to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Ruu wrote:
    I wish there were some lakes in Illinois or anything for that matter, so boring! I can't wait to go back to the bumpy roads of Co.Meath. :)

Ehh! Isnt there some of the worlds biggest lakes in Illinois???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭uma

In a similar situation with myself,in a relationship with an american who wants to live here.

Any updates on the situation? cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 a_happier_me

This information may or may not answer/or confirm what's been said in previous posts. I am an American, and through another forum, met my partner, who is full Irish. Two years ago I moved to Ireland. Within 3 months of arrival I contacted our local Immigration Officer. As I am totally dependant on my partner for financial support, I/We had to provide a letter from my partner stating that he had the means of support for the both of us, as well as Medical Insurance for myself...(As proof that I would not be a burden to the state). Having done that, at the Officer's instruction, my Immigration Card is to be renewed yearly. At the point when we marry later this year, I must then renew my card every 5 years. Until said marraige takes place I am unable to work, as stated earlier, you must work in a profession that is in dire need of qualified personel, and have a specialty that can not be filled by someone of EU decent. ;) I'm not one of those ppl...What you can do tho, is apply for a PPS number, which entitles you to several things, not the least of which is obtain a full Irish Driving Licence...(I've got my licence...but that's a different post completely!!!):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 turnipthrower

Hello! I don't know if anyone is even answering this anymore! But what the hell, I'm gonna post anyway.
    I've fallen for this guy from Las Vegas I've been talking to on the internet for a while now, and he wants to move to Ireland, possibly next year. I've been trying to find out everything I can, and one of the things I've found out from reading one of the websites is that from June 1st, 2009, it's saying something about work permits can't be given anymore to people who earn under 30,000 euro a year. Now I live and work in Ireland and I don't make much money, I earn basically minimum wage, and he does the same kind of work, so he wouldn't have some sort of qualification that would earn that kind of money. So is that the final word on it all? Is there any kind of way it can work? This is terrible! :( I know you can stay 3 months and have to apply to stay longer etc, but if you can't apply for the work permit if you're not earning enough then is it all over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

I am afraid so unless you decide to get married. That would change everything. If that is a long way down the line it is easier for him to come to ireland. Immigration in the US is a pain in the ass at best.

You could always apply for the US lottery visa and hope for the best.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Galway Dude! So if you get married then it's less complicated? Hmmm. Well that would be a long way off, but I suppose at least it's an option. GRRRR Why does money have to ruin everything??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

My wife is american so if you have questions if you decide to go down that route fire away.

Well it would be a long way off. :) I feel really sad now about it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grey1860

what about serving in there military, the US will grant citizenship for time in the service. does ireland do the same?

Oh I didn't think of that - I'm not sure about that one, I'll have to check it out! I don't know if he'd be very suited to the military though! :) The good news is that marriage is an option possibly in the future - it's gonna take a very long time though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

As far as I know the Irish army are not recruiting at the moment. I don't think it is like America where they are crying out for people to join so I don't think they'd need to entice people with citizenship.

We don't go to war, you see :)

I'm willing to be proven wrong but I've never heard of getting citizenship for serving in the Irish army. You could check in the military forum.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

watna wrote: »
    As far as I know the Irish army are not recruiting at the moment. I don't think it is like America where they are crying out for people to join so I don't think they'd need to entice people with citizenship.

Indeed they don't:

University graduates battle it out for army jobs

Thursday August 20 2009

UNEMPLOYED graduates are fighting it out for a career in the army or navy.

The Defence Forces have been flooded with applications for 42 cadetships that were advertised earlier this month.

In the past 11 days, 1,641 applications have been received -- an average of 39 for each of the 30 army and 12 naval service positions on offer.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/university-graduates-battle-it-out-for-army-jobs-1864704.html?r=RSS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jcphilly78

Hello there i just graduate from a technical school here in the US as a dental assistant, and i look forward to move on to the next step as dental hygienist, my top goal is to be a general dentist but to be honest with you guys, as you know here in the US is very expensive to study in the dental school, so i'm looking for other choices and i heard about Ireland and it sound very interesting, my question is how can i move from the US and continue my education overseas in a place like Ireland? i would love to heard from you guys, thank you very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grey1860

well i guess i am screwed then yall have a beautiful country. i was lucky enough to drop in on my way home from iraq. i only spent ten hours in shannon but it was probably the best mishap the military has made for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kurosaki_

This information may or may not answer/or confirm what's been said in previous posts. I am an American, and through another forum, met my partner, who is full Irish. Two years ago I moved to Ireland. Within 3 months of arrival I contacted our local Immigration Officer. As I am totally dependant on my partner for financial support, I/We had to provide a letter from my partner stating that he had the means of support for the both of us, as well as Medical Insurance for myself...(As proof that I would not be a burden to the state). Having done that, at the Officer's instruction, my Immigration Card is to be renewed yearly. At the point when we marry later this year, I must then renew my card every 5 years. Until said marraige takes place I am unable to work, as stated earlier, you must work in a profession that is in dire need of qualified personel, and have a specialty that can not be filled by someone of EU decent. ;) I'm not one of those ppl...What you can do tho, is apply for a PPS number, which entitles you to several things, not the least of which is obtain a full Irish Driving Licence...(I've got my licence...but that's a different post completely!!!):D

Does anyone know if this is still possible? Do you have to be married or can you just got o the local Garda station and apply for an extension of the visa, I am able to support my girlfriend no problem and would love for her to be able to stay here longer than 3 months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I'm not sure if I'm in the right thread but I was reading up on the Green Card for Ireland. This has now replaced the Work Visa. It seems pretty basic, having a software degree, a company willing to "employ" a person in that department and enough money for the visa itself, is it possible for the employee to get a visa without spending much time in the country? I know this is a strange thing. Basically, she's studying outside Ireland and would like the option of going to Ireland whenever, she lived there for three years and loves it. Is there a minimum time you must be in the country while on a visa? And do they check payslips and everything to see if you are getting paid or whatnot?

Information for this is at: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/migrant-workers/employment-permits/green_card_permits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hey,

I would appreciate help with this...please tell me what you think of this scenario...

I met my girlfriend just before Summer of 2009, she's from New York, I'm from Dublin. She lived and worked in Dublin for 6 months and left at the end of the summer in 09. We stayed together and kept in touch the whole time and then I moved to Toronto in December 09 and am just a few hours drive away from her now. My Canadian visa only lasts until December 2010, by which point we will have been together a year and a half.

If I move back to Dublin, is there any kind of common law spouse visa you can get or something? Or if she came back to Dublin with me, is there any way she could work? (without getting married...although we are looking at it as a last resort! :pac:) Really love this girl and can't do months apart again, so really need to find a way we can stay physically together once my one year visa here is up...

Also, is there any kind of special arangement with Visas for the U.K and U.S? For example, could she get a visa to work in UK, London or Edinburgh or somewhere, and I could move over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Angiebaby427

Ok so in america I work for the red cross. I want to move to Ireland but I have been told that it is getting very difficult so my question pertains to the medical field then I guess.... I do not have a degree just the experience. So does Ireland have their own version of the red cross or am I pretty much outta my Irish luck?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ok so in america I work for the red cross. I want to move to Ireland but I have been told that it is getting very difficult so my question pertains to the medical field then I guess.... I do not have a degree just the experience. So does Ireland have their own version of the red cross or am I pretty much outta my Irish luck?

http://www.redcross.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Angiebaby427

iguana wrote: »
    Thank you very much for that! I sent them an email and am hoping to hear back from them! Are you from Ireland? Do you know anything about the red cross there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hannahcarolina

I have a web design business which I run from the U.S. and am interested in moving to Ireland. If I maintain a business presence in the U.S. (an office in Virginia with at least one staff member) would I be able to live in Ireland?

Thank you,
    Hannah in Carolina

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I have a web design business which I run from the U.S. and am interested in moving to Ireland. If I maintain a business presence in the U.S. (an office in Virginia with at least one staff member) would I be able to live in Ireland?

Thank you,
    Hannah in Carolina

Absolutley, as long as you can fund your stay you can live anywhere...its when you want to try and find work In Ireland and must gain citizenship status for that when you will have trouble.
    Anyone with money in thier pockets already is welcome.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Hey,

I would appreciate help with this...please tell me what you think of this scenario...

I met my girlfriend just before Summer of 2009, she's from New York, I'm from Dublin. She lived and worked in Dublin for 6 months and left at the end of the summer in 09. We stayed together and kept in touch the whole time and then I moved to Toronto in December 09 and am just a few hours drive away from her now. My Canadian visa only lasts until December 2010, by which point we will have been together a year and a half.

If I move back to Dublin, is there any kind of common law spouse visa you can get or something? Or if she came back to Dublin with me, is there any way she could work? (without getting married...although we are looking at it as a last resort! :pac:) Really love this girl and can't do months apart again, so really need to find a way we can stay physically together once my one year visa here is up...

Also, is there any kind of special arangement with Visas for the U.K and U.S? For example, could she get a visa to work in UK, London or Edinburgh or somewhere, and I could move over?

Sorry no common law marriage will gain her the status for citizenship , nor you in America. You must either get married and go through the paperwork or she must try to get citizenship status through the few options there are available.
    goodluck!

BEAT wrote: »
    Sorry no common law marriage will gain her the status for citizenship , nor you in America. You must either get married and go through the paperwork or she must try to get citizenship status through the few options there are available.
    goodluck!

Ireland actually have brought in something along these lines. There's a thread on this forum in it where posters have got it for long term partners. I was sceptical at first but the thread had a few people in it that had got it. I was interested because my partner is a kiwi and we were hoping he could get a partnership visa to go back to Ireland so we could save for a wedding while we were there instead of getting married straight away. I got permanent residency in NZ very easily because he is my de facto partner. I can vote here and everything!

Just do a search for it - it'll only be a few pages back. AS far as I know they don't pulicise it much but you can get an annual visa along these lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dmq400

A bit off thread here....but anyone know of a board/site where Americans who have moved/retired to Ireland are having discussions? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ronald001

very very thanks for th info.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TrudeauCuomo

hi everyone.
    Wondering if anyone can help with this- can my American, same-sex partner just travel over here, be registered at a garda station and stay here if I support him *and* if we have a civil partnership, would he receive Irish citizenship?

any help would be so welcome and appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

lol i love the old posts about the celtic tiger and stuff...lol that tiger is now dead and kicked under the carpet :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Hi Trudeau,

If you become civil partners (or get married in one of the states that permits this) then your partner has the same rights as a spouse, in terms of immigration to Ireland. The easiest route is to go through the ceremony before your partner comes to Ireland.

Advertisement