Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another CCTV recommendation & question

• 22-07-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭

Carried on from here, but started a new thread as it's a different question at this stage.

I have a budget of arounf €500. I need a DVR (at least 6 channel, although I only seem to see them in 4 or 9). 4 wired cameras and 1 wireless.

I'm told that Samsung are a good brand. I have searched this forum a bit but most information is now a few years old so in terms of tech and price, probably out of date.

So...

1 - Any recommendations for kit? It will be a self install. Cameras need to be white (blame the wife) and must be mounted from under the soffit of the house. Remote access online necessary although it seems quite standard on the kits I've seen. (for example - http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-trublue-960h-1tb-9-channel-cctv-kit-with-4-bullet-cameras-n66ql)

Is it better to buy one of the all in one kits, or separate DVR & cameras? Do different brands talk to each other OK etc?

2 - Maybe a silly question, but is it OK to mix wired and wireless in the same kit? The wife won't stand for visible cables, so my camera on the gate needs to be wireless. I was thinking of buying a kit including 4 cameras, then buying a wireless one separately.

3 - The camera on the gate would be pointed towards the road. Is that allowed since it is a public road?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have more daft questions soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

Hi Dr,
    The gate you want the camera on, is the gate in line of sight from the house? It may be possible to get a camera with a higher lens and zoom in from the house.

If this is not an option, in order to have a wireless camera on the gate, power will be required for the camera and the transmitter

Yeah it's Ok to have wired and wireless on the one DVR.. The wireless camera will need a transmitter and a receiver.

You can get 8 channel DVRs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hi Dr,
    The gate you want the camera on, is the gate in line of sight from the house? It may be possible to get a camera with a higher lens and zoom in from the house.

Unfortunately I don't think that would work. There is a front wall and a high pillar. The pillar would most likely block the view of any passing cars from the house apart from a brief side view.

If this is not an option, in order to have a wireless camera on the gate, power will be required for the camera and the transmitter

Hmmm, that makes life more difficult too. I can run power from the garage I suppose without leaving visible cables. I will need to do this at some stage anyway as I want to install electic gates at some stage, but it will mean running that power cable up the back of the pillar to the camera location, which defeats the purpose of it being wireless!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Paris Hong

Hi,

Check to see if Tenvis IP602W P2P Wireless Camera is suitable for you. Happy Day . :)

Advertisement