Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IndyCar 2014

Options

Comments

Power and JPM were looking great til the SC. Could still come back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

149 laps complete, first caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Missed the first caution, but there've been plenty since

Right call on the red flag I'd say, awful lot of debris.

I guess would be good to get a racing finish, hopeful no more caution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

What a brilliant finish to the Indy 500 - awesome racing.

F1 could learn a lot from Indy - a red flag called to ensure the fans saw a race to the finish line and not a parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Infoanon wrote: »
    F1 could learn a lot from Indy - a red flag called to ensure the fans saw a race to the finish line and not a parade.

Either red flag or the NASCAR green-white-checkered system is the way to go. Nobody ever wants to see a race finish under caution.

Really great finish to the 500; was hoping Helio would hold on but fair play to Hunter-Reay.

Sixth place for Kurt Busch. And the green flag for the second part of his Double in just over two hours in Charlotte.

/me runs to the NASCAR thread

I'd hate if F1 had US style cautions, plus with no refueling you couldn't reall have extra laps

Very few F1 races finish under yellow anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I'd hate if F1 had US style cautions, plus with no refueling you couldn't reall have extra laps

Its fine for oval racing because the laps are a lot shorter than F1 tracks tend to be. Full course cautions are a lot more tedious on road courses.

• Advertisement

Very few F1 races finish under yellow anyway?

Imagine if a safety car had been sent out when Esteban had crashed - what a close finish we would have had then !

Gutted that Montoya and Will Power got caught out speeding in the pitlane and it looks like something broke on Townsends car, though he was partly responsible for Eds crash ! but the quickest driver won on the day.

Watched on BT , the anchor was very poor and they ignored the American post race coverage which is normally excellent -so eg I had to read about Helio sitting in his car for an age after the race - one week to the double header at Detroit !

It just seems a bit artificial to me at times, was no need for it today when Esteban crashed, could have cost Marussia their points if the field had closed up, would have given Hamilton a break from pushing with his one eye, it forces every one to pit and be on the same strategy. Sometimes it can help a race sometimes but it can neutralise a race.

One thing I would change is the waiting for cars to get back on lead lap, would be better to send them backward and restart quicker

It just seems a bit artificial to me at times, was no need for it today when Esteban crashed, could have cost Marussia their points if the field had closed up, would have given Hamilton a break from pushing with his one eye, it forces every one to pit and be on the same strategy. Sometimes it can help a race sometimes but it can neutralise a race.

One thing I would change is the waiting for cars to get back on lead lap, would be better to send them backward and restart quicker

You could argue that there was a need today as Marshals had to cross a live circuit - the artificial arguement fails when you consider 'double points' ..., though I see your point.

I'd just let them pass at the start of a lap, even if they haven't quite caught up by the green flag they will very soon afterwards as the rest of the field ahead of them spreads out. It also means they get their lap back but not the advantage of closing right up on whoever was ahead of them at the time.

You could argue that there was a need today as Marshals had to cross a live circuit - the artificial arguement fails when you consider 'double points' ..., though I see your point.

I didn't think they had to cross the track... looked like the marshals came out from pit side and presumed they brought car into pit side (wasn't clear on tv though). You might be right in which case I would agree

I didn't think they had to cross the track... looked like the marshals came out from pit side and presumed they brought car into pit side (wasn't clear on tv though). You might be right in which case I would agree

You could be right, though that mean approaching a blind corner, getting back to the point, in Indycar that would be a safety car - that would have given the viewers and spectators a much better finish/tighter finish.
    Indycar and Nascar are very viewer/spectator friendly, something that F1 fails at time and again.

You could be right, though that mean approaching a blind corner, getting back to the point, in Indycar that would be a safety car - that would have given the viewers and spectators a much better finish/tighter finish.
    Indycar and Nascar are very viewer/spectator friendly, something that F1 fails at time and again.

It would have ruined race the f1 race for me today if safety car appeared when there were engine blow ups or cars got stuck on barrier, we could have had 4 or 5 safety cars and very different stop start type of race.

Not that I don't like when a safety car closes up the gap to leader and gives a good finish to a race, it's nice when it happens an odd time but would enjoy it less if it was happening every second race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Helmet cams are the coolest thing ever. What circuit is that?

Zcott wrote: »
    What circuit is that?

Belle Isle in Detroit:
    500px-Detroit_Grand_Prix_on_Belle_Isle_1998-2001.svg.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What channels are showing Indycar this season? - don't anything listed on Setanta's package of channels.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    What channels are showing Indycar this season? - don't anything listed on Setanta's package of channels.

Mainly carried on BT'S ESPN, though the Indy 500 was on BT Sports 2 who made a mess of a broadcast

Stream started for Houston Race 1. Random rain shower just very recently, so the race might have a standing start on wets :pac:

Wow, you couldn't have predicted that result even if you'd assigned the finishing positions by drawing lots.

Amazing what a little rain can do ! Felt sorry for Sato, his move on Pagenaud was outstanding! ! Who was driving Will Power and Scott Dixons cars - so many mistakes, hopefully the real Will and Scott will return for tonight's 2nd race.
    Thought Montoya would pull off the win and if Rahal had not crashed into Tony Kanann on the final restart probably woukd have .

Roll on Race 2 tonight !

Marco could be in trouble after putting Wilson into the wall, already on probation after yesterday's shanigans.

Update : no action to be taken - fantastic racing by the way

Carlos Huertas, winner of the first race in Heuston, has retained his win despite his car being found to infringe technical regulations relating to the wings and fuel cell capacity.

This is the second time that a Dale Coyne winning car has been found to infringe the regulations.

Nascar takes a similar stance when a winning car is found to be outside the regulations - as for F1s approach....see Ferrari/ Malaysia, Alonso/ Singapore

Juan Pablo Montoya is on pole for tomorrow's Pocono 500, Will Power lines up second, race on at 5pm on BT Sports 2

Only 39 laps into the Iowa 300, and red-flagged due to rain...

• Advertisement

Sébastien Bourdais right now:

224531.jpg

Advertisement