Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

stevenmu wrote: »

yzTFF.gif

This is one of the funniest things Ive seen all year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,994 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Teebusters have a community study group shirt on sale today for eight Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,994 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Jonathan Banks of Breaking Bad fame will be in 11 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 rossy1044

So much potential!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

rossy1044 wrote: »
    So much potential!!

No more half measures hopefully....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

so excited about this! Both about the casting and it looks like Annie will finally get a proper storyline (that isn't about Jeff or any other love interest...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

tumblr_m1bm498xwN1qe3b3a.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

that is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

This all sounds great! So glad to have Dan back after the debacle of season four.

Saw on FB that they have officially begun shooting season 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

My roommate (who has never seen the show) just pronounced bagels as 'bah-gels'... She will henceforth be known as Britta.

Saw that series 4 was on Netflix Canada and decided it was about time I caught up. After a slow start it's really getting better and better with each episode and the quality is consistent with that of series 4. The one thing I'm really liking is how they've allowed Pearce to mature a little more, really think all the celebrating over Chase's quitting will be regretted come next series. His character is the only one whose really had a character arc. He's gone from being quite an unpleasent old racist to a rather loveable old fool. Plus let's be honest, his character has been the butt of some of the shows best gags and episodes.

Don't care what anyone says but the puppet episode may very well be one of the coolest things ever made. It's like someone spent an evening in my head and then headed off to make something awesome. The thing is that I'm pretty sure is s mediocre as hell episode that would be completely forgettable were it not for the puppets.

Don't care what anyone says but the puppet episode may very well be one of the coolest things ever made. It's like someone spent an evening in my head and then headed off to make something awesome. The thing is that I'm pretty sure is s mediocre as hell episode that would be completely forgettable were it not for the puppets.

It's probably my least favourite episode ever. But, the puppets were a cool idea - I just wish the writing had been better :(

So finished series 4 and I really do wish that Netflix them in the correct order. The episode titles and descriptions are correct but the corresponding episodes aren't. Jeff graduates well before the group even tie up the professor and there are some serious continuity issues thought as a result of the jumbled up order. Thing is that I wasn't all that bothered to sort it out. Sure I googled it but thought "meh" and just got on with it.

Overall there were a lot of great ideas and some genuinely great comedic moments but it really was a far cry from the heights of series one. A lot of people think this is down to the lack of Dan Harmon but let's be honest, the cracks were obvious throughout series 3 which is about the same standard as 4. The show has became to meta and the whole evil timeline gag is played out. It's simply not funny and the manner in which they try to work it in is jarring. Is the timeline simply part of Abed's imagination or is there more to it. Likewise the body swap episode felt like a missed opportunity. They way in which Britta and Troy's relationship was handled was quite inventive but it lacked any sort of emotional pay off.

Pierce's absence was felt. For me the most memorable moment of the entire series was Puppet Pierce singing about Eartha Kitt. It was a great payoff to a long running gag. Watching the series and it's obvious just what a gap there is now there's no Pierce. I know that most people hated him but honestly the only real expendable member of the group is Shirley. She adds little to the dynamic and any Shirley-centric episode is generally a low point. With Harmon returning I would really like to see them get Chase back as many of the shows best moments were ones which made fun of Chase and Harmon's real life dislike of one another.

The way in which they handled the Dean ruined his character. He's gone from a likeable oddball to an out right nutjob. By reeling back in Chang they've allowed the character to develop and while I miss old Chang, Kevin was one of the lasts series most consistently funny character. They need to bring the Dean down a level or two as there really are only so many dress changes that we can take. His stalking of Jeff is also more creepy than funny and I'm half expecting the last scene of the show to mirror the reveal in Psycho.

Also am I the only one dispaointed the Starburns wasn't behind the whole Changception? I was really hoping that he or some of the other students had, had enough of the gang and wanted revenge.

You know, taken for what it is series 4 isn't half bad. There are plenty of laughs and some of the set ups were inspired and it's certainly leagues ahead of shows such as 2 and a Half Men, the Big Bang Theory, etc. But with shows as consistency funny as The League and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on air it really would be hard to feel bad if Community didn't get renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Is community on Netflix? I have netflix US/UK and not seen it on either one.

Is community on Netflix? I have netflix US/UK and not seen it on either one.

It's only on certain ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

alroley wrote: »
    It's only on certain ones.

which ones?

The puppet episode could have been much better. and should have! they also under used Jason Alexander

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I know it's on Hula Plus. If it's not on U.K or U.S. netflix which one is on? I would love to watch it, as have only seen them on my laptop. Be nice to watch on my T.V. ( I know I can buy the blu ray, but rather have it on netflix.)

EyeSight wrote: »
    which ones?

The puppet episode could have been much better. and should have! they also under used Jason Alexander

Canada and Brazil. Maybe more. I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Which episode number is that? I actually skipped it at the time. I really didn't feel like watching puppets talking

Grimebox wrote: »
    Which episode number is that? I actually skipped it at the time. I really didn't feel like watching puppets talking

It's episode 9 and if I recall correctly the title is Intro to Felt Surrogacy

It's a lot of fun and the songs and puppets are so adorable that you can't not love them but it's far from a great episode. It has a great set up and gimmick but does absolutely nothing with them. Like a lot of the series, it tries too hard to mimic one of the classic episodes. If there had been a Professor Duncan puppet I'd properly have been more forgiving but as they said last series, where the hell is he.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Donald Glover is the news today after he posted a series of hand-written notes on instagram. You can see them here.

They address why he left the show and his fears about the future. He mentions his worry that Dan Harmon "hates" him. They're uncomfortably honest at times and dark, inspiring thoughtfully titled news articles such as "Is Childish Gambino losing it?"
    I didn't leave Community to rap. I don't wanna rap. I wanted to be on my own. I've been sick this year. I've seen a bunch of people die this year. This is the first time I've felt helpless.

Overall, they read like draft song lyrics to me but it's clear he's going through a tough time. I wish him the best for the future. Community won't be the same without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I read them yesterday and they made me really sad. The poor guy seems to be having an existential crisis, I hope he finds whatever he's looking for.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When i read them, it read like a piece that he done on his Camp album where he talks about the girl he met at camp and the bus ride home.

I reckon these might be:
    1. lyrics from a similar piece for the new album
    2. a call for his label to allow him to release this year
    3. a bit of publicity

But, I do also hope that mentally he is in a good place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Ah just when they get Dan Harmon back on! This sucks.

Advertisement