Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I move to Singapore?

• 16-07-2014 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I have a brother that lives in Tokyo. In summer 2006, I spent a summer living and working with him, but I didn't like it as I felt the culture and language barrier was too much.

He has recommended to me a few times that I should move to Singapore. I like the idea that it's warm, everyone speaks English and there's very little crime.

Also the unemployment is quite low.

I have a BSc in computer science and a FETAC level six certificate in web development.

I'm also currently studying the Cisco CCNA.

If I was to leave, say at the beginning of 2016, what would be my chances of finding employment over there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

I have a brother that lives in Tokyo. In summer 2006, I spent a summer living and working with him, but I didn't like it as I felt the culture and language barrier was too much.

He has recommended to me a few times that I should move to Singapore. I like the idea that it's warm, everyone speaks English and there's very little crime.

Also the unemployment is quite low.

I have a BSc in computer science and a FETAC level six certificate in web development.

I'm also currently studying the Cisco CCNA.

If I was to leave, say at the beginning of 2016, what would be my chances of finding employment over there?

This is potentially a little hare-brained. You should have a job lined up before you move to high-income expat Meccas like Dubai and Singapore. As with many expat centers in Asia, the IT market is largely saturated with Indian workers. My suggestion is that you spend the next 12 months connecting with Singaporean recruiters on LinkedIn and set yourself up before you board the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Or you could just base yourself in Malaysia which is much cheaper than Singapore and apply for jobs while there.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

I live in Singapore.

1 - DO NOT move here without a job - its way too expensive to live here without an income, plus, you need to be out of the country to apply for an employment pass

2 - Furet is correct - there are Indians over here with tons of experience that will cost less than half of what you will. Indians tend to do a BSC first, THEN decide what to do with their lives...Singaporean Govt has recently clamped down on employment passes for foreigners, plus most companies are moving IT ops offshore as its too expensive to run locally.

3 - Recruitment agencies over here are worse than in Ireland - promise you the earth & deliver nothing. Avoid them. Any jobhunting should be done via linkedin or directly with the company.

4 - Do you work with a company that has a presence in Singapore? That would be your best bet.

PM Me if you want more info, but you need to have something unique under your belt if you want to get a job here. Your qualifications are too run of the mill to entice anyone to bring you over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

That's no good if you end up in a job you hate, just for the sake of being in Singapore.

Advertisement