Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CountingClocks

shortys94 wrote: »
    I just wanted a different doctor, the expat one is so so so bad

Huisartsenpraktijkrandwijck is one practice in Amstelveen which has 5 doctors, information in English and the option to register with the practice on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Can anyone shed some more light on the E card, I just called and they have mine on file at my doctor and I used it for a prescription to be sent to local pharmacy, is it legal for me to be using this card now as I am living here?

Dont want to get in trouble with Irish government

Which doctor are you talking about? The Ex pat doctor in Amsterdam?
    If you go to the Expat doctor in Amsterdam with the EHIC card it's all free. Crap doctor like but free.

Do you have dutch health insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Yea but I cant use the EHIC card right because Im not living in Ireland anymore? I used it twice but dont think I should anymore, it was free indeed for the consultation which is great, yea terrible doctor, I pretty much prescribe myself

Yea but I cant use the EHIC card right because Im not living in Ireland anymore? I used it twice but dont think I should anymore, it was free indeed for the consultation which is great, yea terrible doctor, I pretty much prescribe myself

If you're registered in the dutch system then No I wouldn't go using the EHIC card.

If you've got dutch health insurance what the hell are you doing still going to the dodgy ex-pat doc!! The ONLY justification for going to them is coz it was free! Don't tell me you've paid for their services.... :eek: :)

The expat doctor isn't free unless you use the EHIC card, you pay for appointment (57 I think). I haven't got Dutch Health Insurance (I know, I know, but I'm doing an internship at the moment in the VUmc radiotherapy department for free so I dont have that money but will consider it if it pays for meds)

• Advertisement

The expat doctor isn't free unless you use the EHIC card, you pay for appointment (57 I think). I haven't got Dutch Health Insurance (I know, I know, but I'm doing an internship at the moment in the VUmc radiotherapy department for free so I dont have that money but will consider it if it pays for meds)

Are you required to have dutch health insurance, like have you started getting letters about it? Are you registered at your address? If not, then you can use the EHIC card.

I think your required, but I don't have, yea Im pretty sure Im in the Dutch Social Security System, I can vote etc and I have a social security number

I think your required, but I don't have, yea Im pretty sure Im in the Dutch Social Security System, I can vote etc and I have a social security number

You would have got letters about it if you were required to have dutch health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You would have got letters about it if you were required to have dutch health insurance.

Not necessarily, I didn't get a letter from Zorginstituut Nederland (formerly CVZ) for almost a year and when I went to get Health Insurance I had to back pay all the months since I'd been in the Netherlands, although this was pretty common for most of the expats I know.

I know another person who didn't get a letter for 3 years and had to back pay all that also.

If you stay unregistered during your time in the Netherlands this is more than likely not a problem, but if you ever do register it may come back to bite you in the backside.

They've changed the rules now anyway, everyone has to pay up to 360 euros own risk, even if you have an EHIC or S1 entitlement.

Its possible, if you are from the UK to stay on your National Insurance for up to 5 years as a contractor, if your Umbrella company is in the UK, similarly you can do the same if your umbrella company is in Ireland:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Social-Insurance-PRSI-for-Persons-while-Working-Abroad.aspx

Personally, I wouldn't chance trying to use my EHIC with a German address (I have German Health Insurance) since the own risk would probably end up with an Incasso bureau somewhere against my name.

BTW, there is no difference between expat doctors and the other kind, they still bill against the same national insurance system. The expat medical center in the Hague for example would send a bill to my insurance the same as my local health center here in Eindhoven.

Does anyone have any recommendations on cheap health insurance in netherlands for a student?

Btw I appreciate all the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Does anyone have any recommendations on cheap health insurance in netherlands for a student?

Btw I appreciate all the help

Check with your Student Services Centre. Depending on how long you're here for and your residency status there may be different rules, also universities tend to have insurers that they recommend to students. I think the least you'd have to pay per month is around €110 though, and being a student won't make a difference to that.

http://www.expatica.com/nl/health_fitness/healthcare/Healthcare-in-the-NL.html

Students

Students from the EU/EEA/Switzerland are exempt from paying health insurance – unless they are working, even part time, or as part of a paid internship. Non-working students will be given an European Health Insurance Card (see below), or an international declaration form instead.

Students from outside the EU need insurance like everyone else.

Sometimes colleges and companies have a contract with a health insurer so that students and employees can enjoy discounted premiums.

You can follow this flowchart by Euraxess to determine if you need Dutch health insurance depending on your personal circumstances.

You can find more information on different aspects of the Dutch healthcare system on Expatica's healthcare page for the Netherlands

So i can use my EHIC card from Ireland?

Again, check with your student services centre. We don't know if you're staying here for weeks, months, years, whether you plan to work or not. The university you're going to deal with this every day, they will know exactly what you need to do.

Well you are working but you're not being paid for it so not sure :confused:. If I had to guess I'd say as it's not paid work, it doesn't count as work and yes you can use your EHIC. If you click on that link I posted I think there's a flowchart to help you to figure out if you can or not.

According to that flow chart I don't need Dutch Health Insurance, yes I am studying, doing unpaid internship as part of study.

According to that flow chart I don't need Dutch Health Insurance, yes I am studying, doing unpaid internship as part of study.

Back to the dreaded ex-pat doctor then :eek: As far as I know they are the only ones that take the EHIC card....

Back to the dreaded ex-pat doctor then :eek: As far as I know they are the only ones that take the EHIC card....

All doctors should take the card, they just claim against AGIS Zorgverzekering for EHIC and for S1 Cross border workers they claim against CZ Zorgverzekering.

Really they are just providing a shell insurance number and send the bill back to your insurer/health service, e.g. in Ireland the HSE and for myself it goes to my Krankenkasse in Germany.

I don't have Dutch Insurance and have had no problems, I don't think the place I go to even knows what an Expat is :)

IMO its more likely the Surgery told you this because it was full and they couldn't take any more registrations.

I don't understand the EHIC card, I mean my medical card from Ireland expired, but now I have an EHIC card which doesn't seem bound by any terms...... So you move away and suddenly you are back to having free GP visits.....

Seems odd, but I guess if I get a call from any departmental guys in Ireland Ill show them the flowchart :D

I don't understand the EHIC card, I mean my medical card from Ireland expired, but now I have an EHIC card which doesn't seem bound by any terms...... So you move away and suddenly you are back to having free GP visits.....

Seems odd, but I guess if I get a call from any departmental guys in Ireland Ill show them the flowchart :D

Medical card has nothing to do with anything outside of Ireland.

You'll have to pay the first 360 euros own risk, the same as any Dutch Resident if you register at the surgery/GP with your address in the Netherlands.

You probably won't pay anything if you give your Irish address, however a lot of places will probably not accept you unless its an emergency since this is more for people travelling/on holidays.

The premise of the EHIC is you're treated the same as a person in that country.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/apply/Apply_for_EHIC.html

You can obtain the EHIC on the basis that you are normally resident in Ireland:
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/faqs/FAQs.html

When you are a student, your habitual residence is considered to be your home country (Ireland)

http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/the_eu_and_you/faq/health/index_en.htm
    Does a student undertaking studies in another Member State have an entitlement to healthcare there?

Students are entitled to all health care benefits in kind e.g. healthcare and medicine during their studies in another Member State. To ensure that students can avail of these benefits, they should obtain a European Health Insurance Card from the health authorities in their home State prior to departure. Students are regarded as retaining their habitual residence in their home State and students are treated as “staying” in the country of study. In these circumstances, the Commission has taken the view that the EHIC issued to students by their home State is valid and it guarantees to students as persons insured in another Member State “any benefits in kind which become necessary on medical grounds during their stay, taking account of the nature of the benefits and the expected length of stay”.

If you earn income in the Netherlands then it becomes more complicated as you must pay into the Dutch Social Security system, which in principal means you must pay Dutch Health Insurance.

In short, if your normal residence is Ireland and you are in another EU Country for the purposes of study you never become resident in that other EU Country unless you finish your studies.

This means for example you could bring an Irish registered car and drive it in the Netherlands for the duration of your studies, so you wouldn't be required to register the vehicle on Dutch plates.

Another example if you go from Ireland to the UK for the purpose of study and buy a car in the UK, then return to Ireland, you are liable for Vehicle Registration Tax (Because you were never resident there). If you go to the UK to live and work and then return for a year then you do not have to pay Vehicle Registration Tax (Because you owned a UK registered car while resident there)

• Advertisement

Thanks alot guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Has anyone purchased property in Holland? If yes, what location? Happy with your decision?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CountingClocks

nbar12 wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased property in Holland? If yes, what location? Happy with your decision?

Cheers

I bought an apartment in Amsterdam in 2002, sold it in 2007 and bought a bigger place which I sold in May.

In Amsterdam at least a mortgage is very often cheaper than renting, my last place was 125 square metres with 3 bedrooms and the mortgage was probably half of what I would have paid to rent in the free market.

So all in all, it worked well for me and if you plan to be there for a while you should look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

Mortgage often is cheaper than renting but with this market take into account that you possibly cant sell if for the the same amount you put on it if you want to move again quickly.

Its more expensive than Ireland.
    I lived in Delft and loved it though. Had 3bedrooms, 1bathroom, open kitchen, living room, washing room and study room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So hopefully someone can help me. Living in Eindhoven and looking to get teh pass for the coffeeshops.
    What documents do i need for this?

So hopefully someone can help me. Living in Eindhoven and looking to get teh pass for the coffeeshops.
    What documents do i need for this?

Go to the Gemeente and ask, I can't remember exactly what the document is called. I got it for studiegeld, my husband got it when buying a car- they use the same document for many different things, you have to specify when you're getting it what you need it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The premise of the EHIC is you're treated the same as a person in that country.
    Yep, so I find it strange that when we visit my family in Ireland and need to see a doctor (say the young fella gets sick), we show the Irish GP our kid's German issued EHIC and he is treated as if he had a full medical card (ie, completely free of charge). That's not really being treated the same as (most) people in Ireland, who have to fork out €50 to see the same GP. Maybe Ireland was compelled to treat visitors like that. Who knows?

murphaph wrote: »
    Yep, so I find it strange that when we visit my family in Ireland and need to see a doctor (say the young fella gets sick), we show the Irish GP our kid's German issued EHIC and he is treated as if he had a full medical card (ie, completely free of charge). That's not really being treated the same as (most) people in Ireland, who have to fork out €50 to see the same GP. Maybe Ireland was compelled to treat visitors like that. Who knows?

That's because you are visiting rather than resident.
    If you are registered in the Netherlands then you are treated like any other Dutch Resident.

If you need more complicated treatment you will eventually run into problems once your situation becomes apparent, in that case if you cannot prove you have S1 Status you can end up with an expensive situation:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/social-security-forms/index_en.htm#s1form
    S1
    (formerly
    E 106,
    E 109
    and
    E 121)

Certificate of entitlement to healthcare if you don't live in the country where you are insured. Useful for cross-border workers, pensioners and civil servants and their dependants.

Health insurance authority

Submit it to any health insurance authority in the country where you live.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »

You mean I could apply for a dutch EHIC card for my child and get free GP care in Ireland with it? (my child is registered here) I forked out 55 to take her to the GP there at Xmas when we were home in Ire

Advertisement