Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Metal Detecting Debate. Keep all your MD questions and querys here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 HappyHammered

RollYerOwn wrote: »

If you have recovered artefacts, then there is an archaeological site there. It is not stipulated in the law that the site has to be previously recorded. If you use a metal detector without a licence to look for archaeological objects ANYWHERE, you are breaking the law.

As I said before I have no intention of giving up detecting, if that means that once a month I enter the Dark Side so be it. I enjoy the detecting and the follow up research on the found items..........it's my connection with my past that I can get at on a Sunday afternoon :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RollYerOwn

Entirely your choice - to break the law because you don't agree with it.

It might be an idea not to broadcast it though ;)

As for is the law justified, I say it is, you don't agree.

Now, let's see if there's any church windows around my neighbourhood ... I fancy a pretty bit of coloured glass..

Any idea what those canon balls and shot were doing there in the middle of a field by the way?

Any idea what those canon balls and shot were doing there in the middle of a field by the way?

Lying in a spoil heat of soil waiting to be graded for topsoil. I only managed to detect a fraction of the 1000's of tonnes of soil that was to be sold to the four corners of the country.

As I said already it's a pity there's such a negative view of detectoring :(:(

It might be an idea not to broadcast it though ;)

Point taken!!! Good talking with you, time to log out and head to my hide away in the hills :)

• Advertisement

Lying in a spoil heat of soil waiting to be graded for topsoil. I only managed to detect a fraction of the 1000's of tonnes of soil that was to be sold to the four corners of the country.

As I said already it's a pity there's such a negative view of detectoring :(:(

:eek:

Couldn't find fault with that, as the artefacts were already removed from the site that had evidently been destroyed before you metal detected there, but let's face it, it's not what most detectorists limit themselves to. Mostly it's removing finds from a known or previously unknown site that lies under the sod waiting to be understood.

Shame the development wasn't flagged as part of the planning application. Canon balls and musket shot don't generally sit around in a field for no reason and I'm sure there's a lot more that could have been learned. Presumably you've told the Museum and the discovery is now filed, so that now when a planning application is applied for in that area any remaining parts of the site or associated remains will have reason to be flagged in the future by Clare Co Co (otherwise only a few people you tell are any the wiser that a possibly important site was located there).

Presumably you've told the Museum and the discovery is now filed, so that now when a planning application is applied for in that area any remaining parts of the site or associated remains will have reason to be flagged in the future by Clare Co Co (otherwise only a few people you tell are any the wiser that a possibly important site was located there).

The site was the old GAA pitch, relocated in the 70's and turned back to grazing land prior to redevelopement. The site itself is across the river from an ex british barracks and tower house dating back to the 12 century.

The site was extensively surveyed prior to developement but as you know yourself it was probably only hit in spots. I managed to make my finds in a couple of hours. Can you imagine what could have been found if an extensive survey was done with a group of detectorists in conjunction with the Archaeologists before the bulldozers moved in.

I think it's sad how much history we've lost to the developers bulldozers and the short sightedness of her learned community to the advantages of controlled detecting.

Bar the coin shooters and treasure hunters you'll find that most metal detectorists are history buffs albeit without a degree.

To answer your question my finds were handed in to my local museum but because of where they were found (spoil heap without context) i could donate or bring home..........I brought them home :):)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

To answer your question my finds were handed in to my local museum but because of where they were found (spoil heap without context) i could donate or bring home..........I brought them home :):)
    And therein lies the crux of the matter - the motivation for most unlicensed metal detectorists is simply to find 'stuff' to bring home.

slowburner wrote: »
    And therein lies the crux of the matter - the motivation for most unlicensed metal detectorists is simply to find 'stuff' to bring home.

Which was the Modus operandi of the majority of archaeologists up to recent history, not only did they bring 'stuff' home from there locality but also pilaged foreign sites, eg the Elgin Marbles.

Can you explain the difference?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Which was the Modus operandi of the majority of archaeologists up to recent history, not only did they bring 'stuff' home from there locality but also pilaged foreign sites, eg the Elgin Marbles.

Can you explain the difference?
    I think I probably can.
    Elgin 'collected' those marbles between 1801 and 1806 (two hundred and six years ago) when treasure hunting was a fashion of the affluent and adventurous.
    It most certainly was not archaeology.
    Archaeology is a science which results in knowledge to everyone's benefit.
    Treasure hunting benefits no one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Don't get me wrong I used to metal detect myself when I was a kid, legally, in the UK. I know that people have an interest but as I have said numerous times, there is a better way that doesn't result in a loss of information. Join a local archaeological society or start one up - I know there are plenty of archaeologists living in Clare - and see how licensed metal detection might be of use on a research dig.

There are a few things I would like to do but laws that I don't agree with stop me because I don't want to break the law.

As far as the National Monuments Act is concerned, landowner permission is irrelevant - the landowner doesn't own the artefacts and sites that lie on their land. Nor do you even if you find them.

If you have recovered artefacts, then there is an archaeological site there. It is not stipulated in the law that the site has to be previously recorded. If you use a metal detector without a licence to look for archaeological objects ANYWHERE, you are breaking the law.

I'll post the link again so you can read it for yourself. Section 2 subsection (b)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1987/en/act/pub/0017/sec0002.html#sec2

Sorry, but if you're going to post such claims you should check your legal position before you get yourself into bother. Fortunately it seems that the National Museum don't bother their backsides checking such new-fangled things as the internet. :rolleyes:
    what do you do you mean you metal detected legally in the uk?so its just the law that differs. from country to country..the act of mding isint illegal just where one does it..confused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 phcoh

Maudi wrote: »
    what do you do you mean you metal detected legally in the uk?so its just the law that differs. from country to country..the act of mding isint illegal just where one does it..confused?

I have no interest in MD, I have even less interest in ancient (long dead no bearing on modern life whatsoever) ways of life, I do however have an interest in the madness of the law. The NMOI act (acts) never mentions the actual words "Metal Detector" it tries to use ambiguous terms like "Detection device" (which can be very defeatist) this wording always points you back to this sub section:-
    (8) In this section “detection device” means a device designed or adapted for detecting or locating any metal or mineral on or in the ground, on, in or under the sea bed or on or in land covered by water, but does not include a camera.
    I would like to bring you attention to "Mineral" for this post lets forget about metal.
    All rocks sedimentary or volcanic are 'mineral' !. Which also makes the use of any of the below illegal without a license (read on for the madness part>)

Geophysical survey can be the most effective way to see beneath the ground. Magnetometers detect minute deviations in the Earth's magnetic field caused by iron artifacts, kilns, some types of stone structures, and even ditches and middens. Devices that measure the electrical resistivity of the soil are also widely used. Archaeological features whose electrical resistivity contrasts with that of surrounding soils can be detected and mapped. Some archaeological features (such as those composed of stone or brick) have higher resistivity than typical soils, while others (such as organic deposits or unfired clay) tend to have lower resistivity.

Any of the above IS a DETECTION device, so is ground penetrating radar, so is side-scan radar in the sea.
    It seems to me that all the above require a license now.
    Looks like the archy's paperwork just got 4 miles longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 phcoh

BTW did you know in UK it is illegal for anyone under the age of 14 to pilot a Boeing 747 (see mad laws, 14 no way, 15 sure go right ahead lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

phcoh wrote: »
    Geophysical survey can be the most effective way to see beneath the ground. Magnetometers detect minute deviations in the Earth's magnetic field caused by iron artifacts, kilns, some types of stone structures, and even ditches and middens. Devices that measure the electrical resistivity of the soil are also widely used. Archaeological features whose electrical resistivity contrasts with that of surrounding soils can be detected and mapped. Some archaeological features (such as those composed of stone or brick) have higher resistivity than typical soils, while others (such as organic deposits or unfired clay) tend to have lower resistivity.

Any of the above IS a DETECTION device, so is ground penetrating radar, so is side-scan radar in the sea.
    It seems to me that all the above require a license now.
    Looks like the archy's paperwork just got 4 miles longer.

Archaeologists have applied for detection device licenses to undertake geophysical surveys for years - it isn't a major burden and certainly doesn't lead to '4 miles' of paperwork. It is just a regular part of a day's work for a professional archaeologist - one they happily submit to if the same system keeps illegal metal detecting under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

Volunteering on an excavation might demonstrate to you how much archaeology (of the monetarily worthless kind) there is on an archaeological site in comparison to a metal object. Digging holes in this destroys it.

The usual way it is found is controlled archaeological excavation. Usually this precedes development which is going to destroy features and finds and is built into the planning legislation - but then most people don't like paying for this when they just want to make their bit of money off the land do they?

Been reading this thread with interest and can see both sides of the debate.

I think the bit in bold gets to the heart of the matter.. but probably not in the way the poster intended)... The kind of dig you describe is not monetarily worthless to the professional archaeologist though is it? I mean they get paid.

And from this thread at least, that's what the debate is about --people who have invested time and money in a field of study wanting to exclude those who haven't.

And hidden beneath much of the talk of heritage (I suspect) is the fact that archaeologists want exclusive rights to make money (their wages) from our national heritage. (Not that they make much, but it's the principle of the thing.)

That said, people who dig up stuff and sell it on ebay or elsewhere (whether they are 'professional' archaeologists or not) are a disgrace.

Finally, archaeology is quite a new science. It was the preserve of amateurs until relatively recently. It lacks respectability to be perfectly honest... I know from experience (in a past life I did a doctorate in another 'science' lacking in repsectability (psychoanalytic studies).. and there too, you find that those in the 'profession' are desperate to distinguish themselves from 'amateurs' and hobbyists. They protesteth too much..

Whatever the law of the land says, archaeologists no more own your heritage than psychoanalysts own your mind.

Just a few thoughts from an outsider.

I love archaeology (and have participated as a volunteer on digs of Indian burial sitres in the southern US).. just in case I seem indifferent to archaeologists' concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

Gee Bag wrote: »
    In Ireland, archaeological artefacts are the property of the state i.e. they are the property of the Irish people, not individuals.

Only competent archaeologists are allowed run excavations and apply for licences to use MDs.

Translation: Only archaeologists are allowed to make money (in the form of their wages) from Ireland's heritage, so eff off! :D

EDIT: I wholeheartedly agree that metal detecting --in itself-- offers only partial insight into a site. And also, that --in itself-- it is not equivalent to a 'proper' dig, which will reveal data about many aspects of a site --not just the amount of metal therein. Sites aren't all about the metal and to treat them this way is to approach digging in entirely the wrong way. MDing might identify a site of interest.. but at that point a proper dig needs to commence (not that I think only archaeologists are capable of digging... interpretation yes, but data gathering not so much)..

texidub wrote: »
    In Ireland, archaeological artefacts are the property of the state i.e. they are the property of the Irish people, not individuals.

Only competent archaeologists are allowed run excavations and apply for licences to use MDs.

Translation: Only archaeologists are allowed to make money (in the form of their wages) from Ireland's heritage, so eff off! :D

EDIT: I wholeheartedly agree that metal detecting --in itself-- offers only partial insight into a site. And also, that --in itself-- it is not equivalent to a 'proper' dig, which will reveal data about many aspects of a site --not just the amount of metal therein. Sites aren't all about the metal and to treat them this way is to approach digging in entirely the wrong way. MDing might identify a site of interest.. but at that point a proper dig needs to commence (not that I think only archaeologists are capable of digging... interpretation yes, but data gathering not so much)..
    very well said dear chap...you'll be slated by the 'know alls' here but well said....

Been reading this thread with interest and can see both sides of the debate.

I think the bit in bold gets to the heart of the matter.. but probably not in the way the poster intended)... The kind of dig you describe is not monetarily worthless to the professional archaeologist though is it? I mean they get paid.
    Of course archaeologists get paid, so do doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, policemen, wildlife officers, fisheries officers, county council workers and firemen. If they weren't paid we wouldn't have these services.
    And from this thread at least, that's what the debate is about --people who have invested time and money in a field of study wanting to exclude those who haven't.
    That is a confused interpretation of the debate - it is not about excluding people for the sake of it.
    Legitimate archaeologists and those with a genuine concern for our heritage, want to see our heritage conserved and interpreted in the most intelligent and reliable way possible.
    A crucial difference is that archaeologists publish the results of their work, metal detectorists carry out their activities in secrecy.
    The work carried out by legitimate archaeologists creates a store of knowledge which is available to all - this knowledge itself, becomes part of our heritage.

Metal detectorists or treasure hunters are motivated entirely by what they can find for themselves - either to add to their collections of meaningless, isolated trinkets or for monetary reward.
    They contribute nothing to the store of knowledge about our past. Quite the opposite - they destroy it.
    And hidden beneath much of the talk of heritage (I suspect) is the fact that archaeologists want exclusive rights to make money (their wages) from our national heritage. (Not that they make much, but it's the principle of the thing.)
    No, it is the metal detecting brigade who want to make money from our heritage.
    Trained archaeologists are the professionals, they know what they are doing.
    If you were ill, would you not go to a doctor?
    How would you feel if the doctor then told you that they had never received any training and that the motivation for looking at you was to see if there was anything they could take from you for their collection, or to sell on Ebay?
    It is no different with metal detecting and heritage.
    That said, people who dig up stuff and sell it on ebay or elsewhere (whether they are 'professional' archaeologists or not) are a disgrace.
    Professional archaeologists, most certainly do not sell anything found in the course of their work.
    Finally, archaeology is quite a new science.
    It is true that archaeology is a relatively new science but it differs from psychoanalysis in the degree to which it is a science. Archaeology deals with the physical, observable world, and as such, is subject to all the tenets of scientific principles.
    It was the preserve of amateurs until relatively recently. It lacks respectability to be perfectly honest... I know from experience (in a past life I did a doctorate in another 'science' lacking in repsectability (psychoanalytic studies).. and there too, you find that those in the 'profession' are desperate to distinguish themselves from 'amateurs' and hobbyists. They protesteth too much..
    I think you are confusing treasure hunting with legitimate archaeology
    Whatever the law of the land says, archaeologists no more own your heritage than psychoanalysts own your mind.
    No sane archaeologist would even contemplate such a claim.
    Archaeologists contribute to heritage.
    Metal detectorists don't.

Just a few thoughts from an outsider.

I love archaeology (and have participated as a volunteer on digs of Indian burial sitres in the southern US).. just in case I seem indifferent to archaeologists' concerns.
    Just a few thoughts from another outsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Metal detectorists or treasure hunters are motivated entirely by what they can find for themselves - either to add to their collections of meaningless, isolated trinkets or for monetary reward.
    They contribute nothing to the store of knowledge about our past. Quite the opposite - they destroy it.

No, it is the metal detecting brigade who want to make money from our heritage.
    Archaeologists contribute to heritage.
    Metal detectorists don't.

Wow, you assume a lot. Haven't read the whole thread, only lurk in this part once in a while because am interested in archeology, so another outsider. I have a MD and have never used it, however I can guarantee you that if I ever did, it would have absolutely nothing to do with collecting trinkets for myself or making money on Ebay, and would have everything to do with saving some piece of national heritage from a farmer's plough, and handing it over. Of course like some have said on here, if in danger of being incriminated for it, I would have to think of how to deliver said piece without hassle.
    Slowburner, there is a danger that the stance archeologists take to people's handling of "found" heritage may do more damage than the people themselves finding things in an unregulated manner. Some farmers around my area know things that would be of interest, but as they may see the archeologists as uncooperative and unsympathetic to a farmer's concerns, they might not share their knowledge, placing more sites/artefacts at risk (not the digging with a shovel/trowel risk kind, more the JCB kind).

Wow, you assume a lot.
    Such as?
    Haven't read the whole thread, only lurk in this part once in a while because am interested in archeology, so another outsider. I have a MD and have never used it, however I can guarantee you that if I ever did, it would have absolutely nothing to do with collecting trinkets for myself or making money on Ebay, and would have everything to do with saving some piece of national heritage from a farmer's plough, and handing it over. Of course like some have said on here, if in danger of being incriminated for it, I would have to think of how to deliver said piece without hassle.
    Your motivation then would be rare amongst those who use metal detectors.
    If you find something which may be of interest from a historical or archaeological perspective, there is nothing to stop you from sending it to the National Museum.
    If you are confident that you have not done so illegally, you could include your name and details of the circumstances in which the object/s were found.
    Slowburner, there is a danger that the stance archeologists take to people's handling of "found" heritage may do more damage than the people themselves finding things in an unregulated manner. Some farmers around my area know things that would be of interest, but as they may see the archeologists as uncooperative and unsympathetic to a farmer's concerns, they might not share their knowledge, placing more sites/artefacts at risk (not the digging with a shovel/trowel risk kind, more the JCB kind).
    It is not a question of archaeologists 'taking a stance' - it is the law.
    Can you give examples of farmers seeing archaeologists as uncooperative and unsympathetic?
    I have visited many farms in the company of archaeologists and never experienced anything other than interest and curiosity.
    That said, many sites have succumbed to the JCB, that is undeniable, but I suspect that this is the result of ignorance more than anything else.

• Advertisement

Slowburner I meant you are assuming that MDors are after either monetary gain, or personal (and only personal) gratification. You are assuming their motives, and simply guessing that that is what they are after. It is just as likely that most of them would be like myself, with a percentage being as you describe.

I think the farmers who would have no problem with archeologists are younger farmers, I know farmers in my area of a certain age who wouldn't mind archeologists, but wouldn't reveal anything to them, if you see what I mean. I know of discoveries made in my area that have not been disclosed because of such a mistrust of archeologists. I am talking about things that were discovered or known of a long time ago (pre-1950/60s), and kept quiet or even buried again in one instance. It's an awful shame as now the people who remember it are older and their memory is patchier, as such things would have happened when they were young kids.
    edit : of course a lot have died too.

If I am guilty of making the assumption that most metal detectorists are selfishly motivated, then you are just as guilty of making the assumption that most metal detectorists are not selfishly motivated.
    It's a circular argument.
    I have yet to see anything from metal detectorists to convince me that their motivation is for anything other than selfish reasons.
    You might see this as cynical.
    I see it as realistic.

I am not an archaeologist and I don't own a metal detector but neither prevents me from making a useful contribution.
    Every day that I can, I investigate as many nooks and crannies for evidence of historical/archaeological interest.
    I haven't achieved very much apart from the discovery of two 'lost' 18/19th C mines and the possible discovery of two Bronze Age mine sites, and a few other bits and pieces.
    I have taken nothing, and I have damaged nothing - if I find something of interest, I call in the experts.
    If I can be utterly satisfied with my amateur, non-invasive exploration - why can't others?
    Why do they need a metal detector?
    Have a look here to see where much UK archaeological material, found by metal detecting, has ended up.
    By the way, there were MD finds from Ireland on this site- the matter is now in the hands of the National Museum.
    If people like you, who have a genuine interest in archaeology, want to get involved, then put away the invasive, illegal and destructive technology and start doing something constructive.
    You're a fine photographer. Why not get out with the camera and post in this thread? You would be more than welcome, I am sure. Photographic records of existing sites are invaluable.
    You don't need a degree in archaeology to contribute.

I hear you when you talk about an apparent mistrust of archaeologists amongst farmers.
    It is not a case of farmers mistrusting archaeologists.
    It is that the farmers would prefer not to be told that there is something on their land which must be preserved.
    They prefer not to be told what they can and cannot do with their own land.
    You create the impression that archaeologists belong to some sort of a devious secret society which sets out to terrorise the humble farmer - few things could be further from the truth.

You're right about the circular argument, and I can totally picture a lot of people taking advantage of the situation if the law was changed, I know a lot of people who are obsessed with money, and would probably see it as a chance to make a few bobs out of nothing. :(
    So... I know what you're saying, but I also know a lot of people who like myself are just interested in heritage, and would try to do as little damage as possible, and call in the experts too.

I understand the point of view of archeologists, on one hand, but on the other hand it's breaking my heart : it's like saying "leave it buried, it's safer there" and "it" may be found and properly excavated at some stage, when I know and you know that a lot of "it" is not safe at all.
    I live near the site of an old ring fort (approx 1 mile), with some standing stones nearby, and also less than a mile away according to my county's Archeological Survey book, an upside down urn was found with remains of a little child... and yet all around me I see farmers digging and moving soil. In their books they're not doing anything wrong I'm sure, they keep away from the official archeological sites, they don't remove a standing stone (anymore...). They have to do all these jobs on their land, moving their soil from A to B, and they're entitled to do this. But every time I pass by a dug out corner of a field I wonder if there might have been something there of interest. It's not really possible to call in archeologists for every little soil movement a farmer intends to do, however if hobbyists with MD were allowed and on hand in the community, they may sometimes help save an artefact/site or two from the JCB, especially with younger farmers who are more aware and willing to cooperate.
    It is that the farmers would prefer not to be told that there is something on their land which must be preserved.
    You create the impression that archaeologists belong to some sort of a devious secret society which sets out to terrorise the humble farmer - few things could be further from the truth.
    You're right, they are not devious beings from a secret society, but like you said, to our older rural farmers, they may be perceived as "town people", who may stop them from carrying out their business on their own land.

edit : oh, and the photo thread is great, I'll make it my business to take pics of the standing stones in my area, have been meaning to do it in ages anyway, and will post them here. For anyone interested there are some ogham stones in Knockboy Church, Co Waterford, in my Flickr stream, here.

You're right about the circular argument, and I can totally picture a lot of people taking advantage of the situation if the law was changed, I know a lot of people who are obsessed with money, and would probably see it as a chance to make a few bobs out of nothing. :(
    So... I know what you're saying, but I also know a lot of people who like myself are just interested in heritage, and would try to do as little damage as possible, and call in the experts too.

I understand the point of view of archeologists, on one hand, but on the other hand it's breaking my heart : it's like saying "leave it buried, it's safer there" and "it" may be found and properly excavated at some stage, when I know and you know that a lot of "it" is not safe at all.
    I live near the site of an old ring fort (approx 1 mile), with some standing stones nearby, and also less than a mile away according to my county's Archeological Survey book, an upside down urn was found with remains of a little child... and yet all around me I see farmers digging and moving soil. In their books they're not doing anything wrong I'm sure, they keep away from the official archeological sites, they don't remove a standing stone (anymore...). They have to do all these jobs on their land, moving their soil from A to B, and they're entitled to do this. But every time I pass by a dug out corner of a field I wonder if there might have been something there of interest. It's not really possible to call in archeologists for every little soil movement a farmer intends to do, however if hobbyists with MD were allowed and on hand in the community, they may sometimes help save an artefact/site or two from the JCB, especially with younger farmers who are more aware and willing to cooperate.
    You're right, they are not devious beings from a secret society, but like you said, to our older rural farmers, they may be perceived as "town people", who may stop them from carrying out their business on their own land.

edit : oh, and the photo thread is great, I'll make it my business to take pics of the standing stones in my area, have been meaning to do it in ages anyway, and will post them here. For anyone interested there are some ogham stones in Knockboy Church, Co Waterford, in my Flickr stream, here.
    a little bit of searching on the net will show the true facts..irish and english museums are full of beautiful objects and hoards that are on view to the public because of metal detectorists ...put all back in to the ground and what have we got?not a lot...mding deserves its recognition...(i dont own a md)but can see the position of both sides .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

This debate has nothing to do with money, nor is it about excluding people from archaeology.

Its about stopping well intentioned people who think that metal detecting is harmless. People with metal detectors rip sites apart. They don't mean to, they don't know they are doing it, yet they do it all the same.

Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

phcoh wrote: »
    The NMOI act (acts) never mentions the actual words "Metal Detector" it tries to use ambiguous terms like "Detection device"

The reason ambiguous language is used is to future proof the legislation. By using a generic term, potential future non-invasive technology is covered by the act.

This debate has nothing to do with money, nor is it about excluding people from archaeology.

Its about stopping well intentioned people who think that metal detecting is harmless. People with metal detectors rip sites apart. They don't mean to, they don't know they are doing it, yet they do it all the same.

Simple as that.

Gee Bag, I stopped by the site today of this old ring fort that I live near to, and stopped for a look. There is nothing but a lone standing stone left of the fort, although I guess better trained eyes might see some relief remaining, in fact according to online 6 inch map the fort should not really be on the standing stone spot but closer to the field I am going to talk about.
    In the field right next to it, the farmer has dug out lots of holes, there are at least 4 or 5 mounds of freshly dug soil there, no idea why he's doing that but I often see that done (it's mostly sheep and cattle where I am). That's a short field away from the fort, maybe some 70 metres or so.

I have never done metal detecting, but somehow I don't think I would do as much damage looking for one artefact in one pinpointed spot than what has been done by the farmer tending his land.
    Do you have examples of sites ripped apart by metal detectors ? I'm not being antagonistic or such, I do see your point, like I was saying above I do understand some MD users might be destroyers and bounty hunters, but I would like to see the damage for myself, or read about it.

It sounds as if the farmer might be digging drainage test holes for a septic tank or possibly prior to building something.
    You should check here to see if the site is listed.
    http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/

You can read about the damage done by metal detecting, and the reason for the introduction of the legislation here: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3284/is_n255_v67/ai_n28628075/?tag=content;col1
    The article will tell you about the Emly Shrine, the Lough Kinale Bookshrine, Tully Lough processional Cross, and the activities of Anthony Molloy and his son, Kevin.
    By Cormac O’Keeffe

DO NOT buy or accept metal detectors as presents this Christmas or you could end up spending the new year in jail, an expert warned yesterday. And shops and manufacturers were told not to advertise metal detectors as they were making potential criminals of buyers. Antiquities expert Dr Ned Kelly made the comments yesterday as selected items from a hoard of 800 artifacts, which were recovered from thieves, were put on display at the National Museum. “We would advise people coming up to Christmas, not to give or receive metal detectors. “They run the risk of finding themselves before the courts, and even run the risk of imprisonment,” Dr Kelly said. It is illegal to dig for archeological objects and to use metal detectors for such a purpose without a special licence. Dr Kelly said advertisements were running in national papers promoting metal detectors, including junior versions for €12.50. The National Museum’s antiquities curator said one supermarket was also promoting them, unaware they were making potential criminals of buyers. Dr Kelly unveiled a number of items recovered from a massive artifact theft involving more than 800 items. These included a rare gold covered Christian mount from Lorrha, Co Tipperary, featuring a crucifix in a circular frame. The mount is thought to have an insurance value to up to €50,000. Other items on display were two Bronze Age daggers, an Iron Age pin, musket balls and hundreds of perfectly preserved coins with the month and the year of minting still visible. “We are giving people an opportunity to see this significant and important material.
    Not to have documented it and the material collected would have been a significant loss,” said Dr Kelly. Anthony Molloy, a 68-year-old former Duchas employee, and his 44-year-old son Kevin, were last week found guilty at Birr District Court of being in the possession of archeological objects. Judge Michael Reilly gave them the probation act partly because they had co-operated fully with the National Museum. The court had heard that Anthony Molloy had been given a metal detector as a retirement present. The father and son went on to raid monastic sites and castles near their north Tipperary home. Dr Kelly advised people who have information on the use of metal detectors to contact the gardaí or the National Museum on 01-6777444.
    http://www.examiner.ie/
    http://www.museum-security.org/02/152.html

It sounds as if the farmer might be digging drainage test holes for a septic tank or possibly prior to building something.

Thanks Slowburner just to say you're absolutely right, doh, I pass the spot everyday and hadn't noticed the planning permission notice on the very spot.
    The old fort is not visible above ground and has not been for years, so even from the OS of 1840s, it's been classed as earthworks. Don't really want to publish my address ;):cool: but our townland bears a very evocative name, so it was indeed an old fort.
    The farmer's work is very very close ! But I presume a very old unapparent structure probably doesn't warrant a perimeter being determined for building permission. Having said that, I'd love to Metal Detect them mounds of soil :D. The damage's been done in that case, and I'd share all my discoveries if any....:p
    I don't know that farmer though, and only glimpsed at the planning permission note so he could have sold the land for all I know anyway.
    Funny how that 1840s survey is not that hugely accurate though, there is a standing stone in a field at the back of my house, which has been incorrectly located iirc (haven't checked on it in ages, but will go take pics for the megaliths thread).

• Advertisement

Haven't been getting any more notices of replies to this thread for some reason. To attempt to answer some points raised...

I find it interesting that most of the arguments I have raised remain unanswered and instead people resort to accusations. I understand that you might want to explore that avenue. So to provide a some kind of defence;

Archaeologists are called in at the request of a developer because a planning authority requires it when a development takes place in certain circumstances. If a site has been metal detected it makes not a jot of difference to whether archaeologists gets paid or not.

Like all trained professionals insist on some form of training you mean? No-one has ever been excluded from training to become an archaeologist and throughout the boom many people learned on-the-job. How is that exclusive? Why didn't other people do it? I imagine for many it looked like it was too much bloody work and others knew they could make more money doing something else.

Neither do archaeologists want to exclude other people. Several times I have raised the point that if metal detectorists maintain they are "doing it for the love of heritage and history" that they form or join a local archaeological society and learn through volunteer excavations - perhaps making use of their local archaeologists (before those skills are all lost in a dying profession). Many such groups have existed elsewhere so why not Ireland? The only thing that should separate "amateur" archaeologists from "professional" archaeologists is that "amateur" archaeologists are likely to be better paid (in whatever way they make a living). I also agree with several posters' points that metal detectorists could have much to contribute in a well-managed archaeological project - whether amateur or professional.

Archaeologists don't have and don't want exclusive rights to "make money from our heritage". In fact they make very little and have a very small share of the heritage industry. Everyone in the State benefits from the large revenue generated by the heritage driven parts of the tourist industry.
    Finally, archaeology is quite a new science. It was the preserve of amateurs until relatively recently. It lacks respectability to be perfectly honest...

Archaeology as a "science" has been developing over a couple of hundred years and many of the "amateur" excavations of the early part of the last century would put the majority of modern "professional" excavations to shame (though modern techniques can be quite striking in their results too). Why? Because we are not just interested in "preserving by record" the nice upstanding and dramatic sites, but also the very average and less interesting sites that still tell an awful lot about how people lived in the past. There is less funding per site than their ever was and we strive to make it affordable for excavations to take place and not let the vast amount of heritage that is there get in the way of all development.

There have been tens of thousands of archaeological excavations in the last decade or more in Ireland. Many have been published but mostly they are stored away as reports and await some form of synthesis. This might be a crying shame, but at least they have been recorded and knowledge of them saved. The vast majority of these would not have been found by metal detectorists or locals - I can't count the amount of times locals thought I was in the wrong place (as if I'd chosen it) and that there was nothing of interest for miles - neither would they have been spotted by bulldozers or the casual observer. Does that sound arrogant? I hope not, but don't forget that we know our business pretty well (we should do we get paid to).

That said, yes it does lack respectability, I'll be the first to admit it. What do you expect when the predominant attitude that I have come across from most people who try and understand what we do is "what's the point there's no money to be made from this stuff". How can what we do be considered worth doing when the country can't afford to pay its teachers, gardai and nurses? Heritage just isn't important enough in most people's minds and I completely understand that. Archaeologists are classed as everything between jet-setters and tree-huggers - for the most part, though, in the industries that they engage with archaeologists are considered as a costly irritation forced on them by other jet-setters and tree-huggers. So who could ever consider it a respectable profession?
    ... you find that those in the 'profession' are desperate to distinguish themselves from 'amateurs' and hobbyists. They protesteth too much..

Far from it my friend, archaeologists stay too silent about a great deal.

At the end of the day, archaeological excavations may in the future be consigned to the dustbin as an unaffordable luxury. We could also sell off the contents of the National Museum to wealthy businessmen and collectors. We could dig up and cut down all the resources and desecrate everything we have here for the purposes of "making a bit of money".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement