Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimecall on RTE ?

• 26-09-2012 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

What is the deal with the show Crimecall on RTE ONE ? Has anybody ever been brought to justice as a result of a tip off from somebody who called the show?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭brian_t

ZXXXZ wrote: »
    What is the deal with the show Crimecall on RTE ONE ? Has anybody ever been brought to justice as a result of a tip off from somebody who called the show?

This returns to RTE on Tuesday, 23 October 2012 at 10:15pm
    Calls to the programme have helped lead to numerous convictions over the previous seven series.

The programme plays a valuable role in Garda investigations. Crimecall also keeps the public up to date with safety advice and information on crime trends.
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/crimecall/

Crimewatch on the BBC have an update on their programme later on the evening that it's broadcast.

They also occasionally have a "Crimewatch: Solved" programme about successful outcomes of the programme.

Perhaps it's about time for RTE to have a similar programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Eh it started back last night or Monday, not October!!

Eh it started back last night or Monday, not October!!
    Apologies I misread their webpage :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I've just had a look at said webpage.
    Crimecall, the hugely successful crime-investigation programme starts its ninth series

Calls to the programme have helped lead to numerous convictions over the previous seven series.

Well, the folks at Montrose are right about this series being the ninth - the show's predecessor, Crimeline, finishing in 2004.

So I'm guessing they just took what they said at the start of the eighth series last year, and replaced the word "eighth" with "ninth" - without bothering to correspondingly replace the word "seven" with "eight". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Jack_2003 wrote: »
    Dahi o se presented crimecall back in 2004ish before he was famous, i think he was axed because nobody could understand his accent.

Yes, he presented the first series in 2004/5 alongside Brenda Power.

Anne Cassin and Con Murphy have arguably been the best presenters thus far, even if Con was no less peculiar a choice than Daithi.

Jack_2003 wrote: »
    Btw wtf did they change the name from crimeline to crimecall?

I guess they just wanted a fresh approach.

Would I be right in thinking that RTE produced Crimeline themselves (whereas Crimecall is produced for them by Coco Television)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I remember David Harvey and Marian Finucane presenting the first crimeline shows back in the 90,s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What was with all the effing and blinding on the show the other night? It was as if Oliver Stone was directing the reconstructions. If it was an attempt by the programme makers to be "edgy" it was all a bit pathetic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

brian_t wrote: »
    Crimewatch on the BBC have an update on their programme later on the evening that it's broadcast.

They also occasionally have a "Crimewatch: Solved" programme about successful outcomes of the programme.

Perhaps it's about time for RTE to have a similar programme.

Whatever about a Solved programme, as I recall the old Crimeline format - which was pretty much exactly the same - did indeed have a later update programme.

Advertisement