Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are razor blades so bloody expensive ?

• 20-12-2008 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

€10.50 for 5feckin blades ? What the hell! They're about £3 a pack in the UK.
    What makes them so special that they're abhorrently overpriced here ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Apparently the reason is they are the most stolen item in the shops so this drives up costs, funny how the UK don't seem to suffer from this :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

All your dreams are made, when your *blah blah blah* sellin razor blades.....

Tis pretty ridicilous for such an essential item. Is there such a difference between womens leg razors in the UK and us anyone know? Most stolen my arse, just another excuse by the extortionate fcukers. Why instead of placing a huge charge on one item would they not make it up by adding 10 cent to a wide range of items? Bollocks of an excuse tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭pcolan

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Apparently the reason is they are the most stolen item in the shops so this drives up costs...

How can they be the most stolen item in the shops if AFAIK they are all security tagged!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

And in some shops they are kept in a locked cabinet next to special tills!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lidl stock a 20 blade and razor pack for 6 euro I think.

They scrape the face off you if you're not careful for the first 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pcolan wrote: »
    How can they be the most stolen item in the shops if AFAIK they are all security tagged!!! :confused:
    Hogzy wrote: »
    And in some shops they are kept in a locked cabinet next to special tills!!!!
    Because they used to be the most stolen item!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Wouldn't they be the most stolen item because they are the so expensive?
    Which came first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

A cut-throat business to be in apparently!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Because some people will pay ridiculous prices for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I suppose it's all about clever marketing to those with disposable income.

25 years ago we hacked our way around our jaws with the yellow Bic razors but that was cool because we were modern men and weren't using those awful old fashioned 'safety' razors that our fathers used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Apparently the reason is they are the most stolen item in the shops so this drives up costs, funny how the UK don't seem to suffer from this :rolleyes:

Isn't it the other way around. They are the most stolen item because they are expensive and easy to conceal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Why not get a decent razor like a Merkur and pickup some Feather blades, you can get 50 blades for under £10 here and they will give you a better shave than any Gilette or Wilkinson blade will ever give you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

amacachi wrote: »
    amacachi wrote: »

It's a necessaty as someone has already said.

As someone has said many shops keep them behind the counter. Them being the "most stolen" item makes no sense to me really.

While I'm on the subject of toiletries - they're all more expensive here than in the UK...

A while ago I bought an Olbas oil inhaler here - €4 give or take 10cents.
    In the UK they're £1.50 give her take 10p.
    Mitchum anti-perspirant is neraly €5 I think too and maybe £2 in the UK ?

Maybe this thread belongs in the rip off Ireland forum. What can we do though ? Even disposables are expensive - 8Gillettes were I think about €6.50. It seems no matter how much we moan, nothing gets done. Prices don't get reduced. It's easy to say "well then don't buy them" but that doesn't achieve anything either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's not essential to buy expensive razors.

If enough people actually moved to using cheap disposables (which do a far better job in my experience) they'd drop the price or stop selling them. Either way we wouldn't be getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

its cause there are only two decent manufacturers of blades out there - Gillette and Wilkenson Sword, not much competition out there really!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Saw the guys selling them in Henry Street stalls last week. Presume they are cheap. Not sure if genuine Gillette though.

For the OP, I only get four blades in my pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

A while ago I bought an Olbas oil inhaler here - €4 give or take 10cents.
    In the UK they're £1.50 give her take 10p.
    Mitchum anti-perspirant is neraly €5 I think too and maybe £2 in the UK ?
    Mitchum stuff is around 3-4 euros in Boots, recent price drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,372 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So why not order online? they are very light, postage would be feck all
    shane86 wrote: »
    Tis pretty ridicilous for such an essential item.
    It's a necessaty as someone has already said.
    It is not essential, you can use an electric instead, I am shocked people still pay that much for a shave when you can get very good electrics nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

rubadub wrote: »
    So why not order online? they are very light, postage would be feck all

It is not essential, you can use an electric instead, I am shocked people still pay that much for a shave when you can get very good electrics nowadays.

Why would people use an electric? then they would have nothing to whinge about...seriously gillette and wilkinson are not the only two razor manafacturers. This is the whingiest thread in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Feckin bunch of lady-boys :rolleyes:

Grow a big beard, never have to shave again. And it makes you look really manly. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I buy mine on Dealextreme. Price includes shipping. They were even cheaper not so long ago but the price has since increased

There are an awful lot of fakes swimming around on ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

boopolo wrote: »
    Saw the guys selling them in Henry Street stalls last week. Presume they are cheap. Not sure if genuine Gillette though.

For the OP, I only get four blades in my pack.

My wife picked up the "2 packs of mach 3 for a tenner" in Henry Street. I had my doubts when I opened the packs and when I tried to use one, the head just bent completely back over and wouldn't follow the contours of my handsome face. These blades will last you for years cause they won't touch your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

mike65 wrote: »
    Lidl stock a 20 blade and razor pack for 6 euro I think.

They scrape the face off you if you're not careful for the first 2 days.
    the aldi disposable ones 12 for €1.29 are much less abrasive

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

KTRIC wrote: »
    Feckin bunch of lady-boys :rolleyes:

Grow a big beard, never have to shave again. And it makes you look really manly. :D

not a bad suggestion, i grew a beard over the summer, kept it neatly trimmed and shaved my neck (with an electric) to stop the itch ( neck hair will itch, face wont). i got an amazingly good reaction to it from girls, especially those girls who's father also wore a beard ( freud was right obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

What makes them so special that they're abhorrently overpriced here ?

because people like you keep buying them for €10.50 :pac:

would you take a hit on your salary even though your boss was willing to pay the full salary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

Get yourself a stainless steel Dovo cutthroat razor and learn how to use it. You'll feel like Rambo every time you shave :D and if you look after it, one will last a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I use Mach3 Turbo ( the one with vibration ) and a pack lasts me for 6 months ....... not expensive

Maybe some guys blame the razor for a bad shave , when in fact it may be bad skin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

its cause there are only two decent manufacturers of blades out there - Gillette and Wilkenson Sword, not much competition out there really!
    Sorry Cuddleworthy but you're completely wrong there. I'm amazed there haven't been more responses like Jester77's:
    jester77 wrote: »
    Why not get a decent razor like a Merkur and pickup some Feather blades, you can get 50 blades for under £10 here and they will give you a better shave than any Gilette or Wilkinson blade will ever give you.

I've been using Merkur blades for the last 4 years and I can't recommend them highly enough compared to overpriced rubbish like Gilette and Wilkinson Sword.

If you were brave you could try one of these :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

because people like you keep buying them for €10.50 :pac:

would you take a hit on your salary even though your boss was willing to pay the full salary?

Nah, I've not bought legit blades in over a year. At least. I bought 4 dodgy packs from Mary St last year that lasted me the year ... and also cut my face to bits...

I've got some disposables atm that weren't too bad price wise.

I don't really grow facial hair fast enough to be taking extreme measures like them proper bo extreme blades yis psoted.

Advertisement