Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Checkpoints

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 68coupe

bladebrew wrote: »
    68coupe wrote: »
    Our cops, government, are a bunch of wa****s.

you admit to speeding,the gardai are doing their job to enforce speed limits,what if your house was broken into?? would you call them w*nkers when you rang them??

For your info, I once rented overhead a shop in Limerick City. One night I witnessed a break-in going on. It was idioitic of the criminals really as there was a police station 200metres down the road. I rang the cops, waited to watch them get caught red-handed, thinking I'd done my good deed and it took 25minutes for them to get there........you tell me??

Listen, I've no personal problem with the police. I KNOW they are "just doing their job", I just think this country's biggest problem is that we all just sit there and take what's thrown at us. The government clean us, the bankers slaughter us, yet we tut, and at worst moan. Anywhere else in the world, the level of ineptitude would not be tolerated.

If you've never done 70 on the dual carriageway, then I truly apologise.

Anyway, arguing online is completely pointless. I just wanted to have my rant. If some of you took it to heart then...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Speaking for myself, I didn't take it to heart - I was able to size you up straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 68coupe

kbannon wrote: »
    Yeah right! Will you show him your rant?

I rang him 5minutes after it happened........gave him a right ear-bashing too. We had a laugh about it actually. My mates will always be my mates. Jeez, I've learned my lesson here. I thought it would've been fairly clear that I didn't mean e-v-e-r-y single member of the police... but I'll be sure not to make the same mistake again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Another one tonight on the way home .. seemed to be the usual tax / insurance lark again. Again they weren't visible enough on the road IMO, but it's good to see them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

it has always interested me as to what legal standing the guards are on when the stop mostly innocent people at check points. I gotta believe that some legislation was passed as some stage allowing them to this. In a free democratic country surly once can freely move from place to place without being stopped and checked in the off chance that you are doing something illegal.

I am not complaining about the situation and I am sure the guards are on good legal foot holding when they stop people this way otherwise cases would be thrown out of court.

...or maybe we do not live in a free country!...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't believe you have to answer questions such as "where are you from?" or "where are you going?" but the general concensus seems to be that the garda couldn't care less and is just making conversation to judge if you're drunk / under influence of drugs etc.

I don't know where this whole "free country" thing comes from. I would disagree with being stopped at a checkpoint and being given the nth degree for 20 mins because the gardai decide they want to, but if they're doing their job and they're only a minute or two then I don't mind.

+ edit
    I should add I don't know what the actual wording of the law is in relation to checkpoints etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

dazzerb wrote: »
    it has always interested me as to what legal standing the guards are on when the stop mostly innocent people at check points. I gotta believe that some legislation was passed as some stage allowing them to this. In a free democratic country surly once can freely move from place to place without being stopped and checked in the off chance that you are doing something illegal.

I am not complaining about the situation and I am sure the guards are on good legal foot holding when they stop people this way otherwise cases would be thrown out of court.

...or maybe we do not live in a free country!...
    Obligation to stop. 109.—(1) A person driving a vehicle in a public place shall stop the vehicle on being so required by a member of the Garda Síochána.

[GA] (2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

Section 109 RTA 1961

The reason you haven't seen any checkpoints in the last 6months or more, is simply because the cops do not like to get wet!! Think about it. The weather, up until the last month or so, has been absolutley disgusting. Rain, rain, wind, hail, rain. I had driven for months and months on a very busy main road, and NEVER come across a checkpoint. The weather picks up, and hey presto, BANG, they're out in force. And also since the budget,

As you said in the last 6 months we have had sleet, snow, rain etc etc... perfect weather conditions for collisions so why would I stand out in the middle of the road to stop traffic when I could be hit by one or say another vehicle rear-ending another.

this is common sense in use
    I've heard rumours, that the police are under "secret" orders to hit the dual carriageways and motorways etc bigtime, bag the easy kills for speeding, and in doing so, cause a huge surge in financial gains for our incredibly inept and broke government in the form of fines.

"secret orders".....This made me laugh so much. Thanks
    granted, perhaps I'm guilty of generalising, but I hope you can appreciate the massive frustration, and the apparent inconcistencies in the traffic corp especially. One of my best mates is in the police. All I'm asking for is common sense and decency to prevail. Bust the REAL criminals.

I have only been told this once before in my 2yrs. I dont which frightened him more my evil grin or cos he realised I am 6ft 1 and look like I could tear off his driver door with my teeth (and no Im not ugly, well not very ugly :p)

But here is the reason given by some coppers: "I would be catching real criminals if the likes of you werent driving like lunatics and people getting killed".
    For your info, I once rented overhead a shop in Limerick City. One night I witnessed a break-in going on. It was idioitic of the criminals really as there was a police station 200metres down the road. I rang the cops, waited to watch them get caught red-handed, thinking I'd done my good deed and it took 25minutes for them to get there........you tell me??

Biggest misconception I have ever heard. Just because the station is 200metres away does not mean it is full of gardai. Crime rarely happens in Garda Stations so the Gardai are out on patrol where crime does happen, sometimes many miles away from the station.

If a few gardai did come running out of the station, then you would have something to moan about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

thanks TheNog

That answers my question and I guess the guards are doing what this 1961 law allows them to do. I find this stuff very intersting! Next thing that would be cool to figure out is what prompted this law way back then (something always does).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Yet I, was pulled for speeding. Our cops, government, are a bunch of wa****s.
    If I went out and shot someone the cops would run...but break the "speed" limit on a stretch of road that an armless blind man wouldn't crash on, and you get nailed.........its a JOKE..........
    I once saw a lad from a distance get beaten to a pulp by a thug using a motorcycle helmet, AS a squad car drove by only 2meters away. They kept going, and circled back when the thug was gone, and the poor fella was unconcious on the ground!!! .....they probably came back to check the tax on the bike...............muppets

Okay yes the government are pretty much brainless but I take issue with everything else you have said. I also occasionally speed doing say 70MPH in a 100Kmh like how you were caught and also doing 80 to 90mph while on the Motorway or HSDC like the Ballincollig Bybass where the speedlimits are 75Mph or 120km/h for ye Europeans. I know I am wrong when doing it but I only speed when I deem it safe to do so on these bullet straight roads. I accept that eventually I will get caught and accept it, and fair play to the gardai when they do eventually laser me.

However our Gardai are understaffed and I for one have the highest respect and admiration for what they do especially as I was recently involved in a minor road tip with a convoy of a certain Ethnic Minority from within Ireland who are often stereotyped as Hiace van drivers.

My car got scratched up as the driver of the first CamperVan decided to make me earn it ie. plough into the ditch out of his way but I held my ground and left him hit my car instead of I hitting the ditch as it was a narrow road. Anyway he struck me and I stopped him and challenged him and upon no admittance of liability from him called the Gardai to the scene on the accident.

Unfortunately for me 2 more campers and one car arrived and there was around 25 or 30 people at the scene before I could bat an eyelid. I had a mate with me and it was a very intimidating place to be as I waited for the Gardai to arrive and we feared physical confrontation but we are both well built and I phoned a few friends to come incase anything kicked off and after around 30mins the Gardai came

The gardai came and told the guy who hit me to cool it and took both our details and it turned out he had no papers on the screen and was fuming as he wanted to dodge the accident but my other mate who lived near the scene of the accident blocked to road with his tractor to prevent them escaping. I and two others were confronted with an angry mob and two unarmed Gardai came and had to deal with it and I for one admire their courage and determination, so whoever disses the Irish police should think they are not armed and they too have familys to think of and are only doing a job.

I think if a person only watched UK Streetcrime or the likes they would appreciate the hard job these guys have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Connrang wrote: »
    Funny that you mention them, came across one today in Athlone, well hidden in a gateway and two cars pulled in, one national other non-national.

The weather is good so they are enjoying it..

catching people .25 km/hr over the limit again i suppose

meh, they should do something more resourceful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I stumbled across a checkpoint last night just before the start of the N11 dual carraigeway on the Wexford side.

I have seen checkpoints here before, but what surprised me last night was the fact there were two Garda cars - and 6 Gardai. I was even more surprised to see the Garda wave through the car in front, me and the car behind without checking and of the particulars, or even speaking to me.

Just to point out, not Garda-bashing here, but im just curious to know what the purpose of the checkpoint was. Looking for someone in particular perhaps?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

catching people .25 km/hr over the limit again i suppose

meh, they should do something more resourceful
    Can you provide evidence that anyone has been caught driving this amount over the speed limit?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last I saw was on the way to the last boards Motors Meet last month actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

There does seem to be VERY Few check points around these days.

In coolock there does be alot of them but only after there has been a shooting.

I am always stopped and questioned at check points.
    same stupid questions:

"Is this your vehicle?"
    "Yes Garda"

"And where are you going?"
    "Going home Garda"

"Ok so!"

???

What answers are the expecting?

"Is this your vehicle?"
    "No Garda, I'm just after steeling it"

"there's 10 grands worth of Coke in the back that I have to drop down to me dealer"

maybe they are just trying to see if im drunk I suppose?

But they can breath test anyone they want now right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

grahambo wrote: »

same stupid questions:

"Is this your vehicle?"
    "Yes Garda"

"Going home Garda"

"Ok so!"

???

"Is this your vehicle?"

"there's 10 grands worth of Coke in the back that I have to drop down to me dealer"

Yeah, i think they can breathalyse anyone, but the reason for the questions like that is to separate the obviously quite sober drivers from the nervous, maybe had one or two drivers.

Without questions like this to indicate to the Garda whether or not you may be over the limit, they would have to breathalyse every driver that comes across the checkpoint! There'd be tailbacks for miles!

You'd be surprised how the simple little questions can catch someone out. Even i've been caught short, especially when the Garda fired the questions at me - Is it your car - yes, Where are you going - uh em, um, home, have you had any drink tonight - uh, em, no Garda.

The little hesitations are sometimes a giveaway of someone being nervous at a checkpoint. Your either nervous because you have a reason to be, or just because your generally spooked by Gardai.

dazzerb wrote: »
    That answers my question and I guess the guards are doing what this 1961 law allows them to do. I find this stuff very intersting! Next thing that would be cool to figure out is what prompted this law way back then (something always does).

Nothing that I am aware of, maybe something from the Troubles up north???
    Just to point out, not Garda-bashing here, but im just curious to know what the purpose of the checkpoint was. Looking for someone in particular perhaps?

Maybe. With most people you can just look at them and they seem ok so you can wave them on, same with local people who you have met on occasion and know are okay.
    grahambo wrote: »

same stupid questions:

"Is this your vehicle?"
    "Yes Garda"

"Going home Garda"

"Ok so!"

???

"Is this your vehicle?"

Good thing we dont ask you to spell as well then :D:p

We can only breathilyse a driver at the roadside on two occasions only

1. If the garda believes alcohol may have been consumed but cant get any smell or see the usual signs of being drunk - basically I could stop you after seeing you swerving on the road and your eyes are bloodshot but there is no smell and you are not talking much to me.

2. At a MAT checkpoint can only be set up on authorisation from an Inspector or higher. This instruction sets out location and times of a checkpoint and must be strictly followed.

TheNog wrote: »

Oh the irony :p

Oh the irony :p

/puts up hands

never could spell that word

/puts up hands

never could spell that word

can you spell google??!!*

*that's how I found out the real spelling ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

they're behind you, how can they "make" you go faster.
    They can push you. :P

I was just pointing out the other day, I haven't seen a checkpoint since before I got rid of my car! That's not why I haven't seen one, I've stopped driving, doesn't mean I've stopped using the roads.
    For months I'd no tax or NCT (and didn't deserve one either!), was crapping myself at every corner "will they be around here?" but nope, didn't see one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I don't have the foggiest notion why people would feel they have to go faster because some idiot is up your hole, tough sh*t for them, they're behind you, how can they "make" you go faster. .

a lot easier than if they were in front of me :) And seriously, you can't understand that I would want to go faster if there was a truck a hairs-breath behind me? Maybe you don't agree that I should go faster - fair play - but it's can't be that baffling that I would speed up to try to put some distance between me and him, no? If I had to brake, I'd have his rear wheel embedded in my head, it'd be no use my family thinking "well, at least he was in the right, legally"

I can understand why you would want to get away from a truck, believe me I know better than most, but he probably would have just sped anyway so you haven't achieved much apart from him going into the back of you at a higher speed.

I'm not part of the high horse brigade by the way, not at all, and I'm not saying you were in the wrong for speeding up, I'm just saying you shouldn't feel you have to - nothing more!

yeah, cheers, i hate having to do it, and I try not to - happened to me today and I didn't speed up specifically because of this thread, so you've a conversion on your hands :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭igglou

I read this thread yesterday and agreed thast it had to be about 5/6 mths since I was stopped at a checkpoint, and then on my way home from Dublin today I meet one on the Kentstown Rd! :)

Funny thing happened to mam and dad a few weeks back when they were away for the weekend. They came to a T junction, unsure of whether to got left or right, Dad insisted he knew it was left and turned. There was a check point up ahead but my parents weren't taking any notice. Dad then realised ~(shock, horror!!) Mam was right and turned round to go the right way (It does happen that us women get it right sometimes :)) Next of all a squad car comes flying up the road after them and pulls them over for thinking they were trying to avoid the checkpoint. After checking the usual tax and stuff, and dad telling the Guard the story, he actually laughed and let them head on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Got stopped and breathalysed 2 days back at a checkpoint in Swords, and have seen more recently over the last year or so when I saw none.

I don't get why anyone would complain about a checkpoint (re a few posts i this thread). I have a massive problem with GATSOs etc because they're put in the worst places, where it's genuinely hard not to speed. They don't have them in locations where accidents happen, they have them where they'll make money. That's nothing short of corrupt in my book. As is the speed limits in most common GATSO or some speed camera spots are far too low.

Checkpoints are a different story. Everyone gets a glance, most egt stopped. Tax, NCT, Insurance and Alcohol are checked - all of which are critical to the safe operation of the car and these prevent accidents, with the exception of tax. My justification for hammering tax dodgers is simple - we all have to pay it, so I'm fúcked if you're going to get away with not doing so. Bit mean, but fair.

I'm in Swords too - I saw a lad flying up the steep hill by the Mayors, heading towards JC's, and he ran into a road check there - he literally left tyre marks on the road trying to stop before hitting them. Fantastic to see them approaching his car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

In my experience checkpoints are only in urban areas. I probably pass through one every month.

I remember previously my NCT was expired for quiet a while & even though I had just done the test (failed but had to get something fixed) I had forgot the letter so didn't want to meet checkpoint on the way home. When I saw one ahead I did a u-turn to do detour but then hit another one closer to home. Two checkpoints within a mile of each other must be a record... :p

tbh wrote: »
    yeah, cheers, i hate having to do it, and I try not to - happened to me today and I didn't speed up specifically because of this thread, so you've a conversion on your hands :)

I actually try to slow down gently to to just below the speed limit to give them the idea, they usually pull back a bit but not always. I know I'll get grilled for this but I have been known to stick on my rear fog lights if someone is really close, makes them think you've jammed on but you actually haven't really done anything wrong - except for "press the wrong button officer!"
    McSpud wrote: »
    In my experience checkpoints are only in urban areas. I probably pass through one every month.
    ...... When I saw one ahead I did a u-turn to do detour but then hit another one closer to home. Two checkpoints within a mile of each other must be a record... :p

I've seen checkpoints where there is an unmarked squad car sitting a bit down the road to go after anyone who does a u-turn but that maybe be only in instances when they are looking for someone rather than checking tax etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Nothing that I am aware of, maybe something from the Troubles up north???

Maybe. With most people you can just look at them and they seem ok so you can wave them on, same with local people who you have met on occasion and know are okay.

1. If the garda believes alcohol may have been consumed but cant get any smell or see the usual signs of being drunk - basically I could stop you after seeing you swerving on the road and your eyes are bloodshot but there is no smell and you are not talking much to me.

2. At a MAT checkpoint can only be set up on authorisation from an Inspector or higher. This instruction sets out location and times of a checkpoint and must be strictly followed.

Or if ther person has committed any road traffic offence, or been involved in a collision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement