Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lissadel House Shut down

• 09-01-2009 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Just to get this topic rolling. Stunning move by the Cassidy clan. I do see why they have done what they have but its so sad and I think typical that one of Sligo's most beautiful and historic estates can end up in such a stale mate with the nett result of being closed to the public!!

Opinions please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Just to get this topic rolling. Stunning move by the Cassidy clan. I do see why they have done what they have but its so sad and I think typical that one of Sligo's most beautiful and historic estates can end up in such a stale mate with the nett result of being closed to the public!!

Opinions please...

First I've heard of this...what is their story I wonder? I have my own suspicions but will have to read more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Read todays Irish Times, I belives the County Council are trying to impose public rights of way through the lands without consulting the owners who are funding the renovations from thier own pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Read todays Irish Times, I belives the County Council are trying to impose public rights of way through the lands without consulting the owners who are funding the renovations from thier own pocket.

Thanks pg, I've just read about it now. Mainly about the right of way it seems. There is either a right of way through the estate or not. It should be easy enough to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I heard an interview with one of the local council heads talking about this some time back and his attitude stank. They seem to have fallen out with the family over access across the estate. He consistently refused to agree that this family buying the house and trying to keep it open to the public was a good thing. I guess the family just got sick of battling them and decided to shut up shop. Another example of the incompetency of local and national government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I belives the County Council are trying to impose public rights of way through the lands without consulting the owners

There were rights of way through the estate used for generations, long before the present owners bought the estate ( for a song I seem to remember...about 1.5 million including all that land ). The right of way issue has nothing to do with the viability of the estate as a business concern.....in fact if the owners did not insist on trying to block the right of way then the public would have been more inclined to visit the estate.

• Advertisement

jimmmy wrote: »
    There were rights of way through the estate used for generations, long before the present owners bought the estate ( for a song I seem to remember...about 1.5 million including all that land ). The right of way issue has nothing to do with the viability of the estate as a business concern.....in fact if the owners did not insist on trying to block the right of way then the public would have been more inclined to visit the estate.

From the article it states that foot numbers have gone from 4000 per year to 40000 which is a serious jump and without public funding under the new ownership..

I think its a bit rich now for Sligo County Council to start throwing their weight around and getting all preachy about Rights of Way when they didnt want to know anything about the place in 2003 when it was up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

if the owners did not insist on trying to block the right of way then the public would have been more inclined to visit the estate.

I very much doubt whether keeping or removing the right of way has anything to do with the visitor numbers to the estate. It is an attraction to tourists in it's own right and would continue to be so, if it's kept open.

I'm falling on the let them do what they want, as it's their land and the powers that be, didn't want it when it was for sale, even if it would be sad to loose the routes. But at the end of the day, it's private land.

Is it down to votes? There are more votes locally that want it open, so it'll be forced on the fewer votes that don't?

Having said all that, I don't know the full in's and out's of the whole situation.

slavigo wrote: »
    at the end of the day, it's private land.

Yes, but with a right of way through it, used for generations. Thats the law. I would have thought the owners of the land were aware of the law when they bought it. Maybe thats one of the reasons they bought it so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

Conspiracy theory: Do you reckon when it came up for sale, it wasn't bought by government cause of the rights of way and the fact that people would be granted access to the grounds anyway. No matter who shelled out for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I heard a bit about it on Ocean fm apparently a councillor has taken on complaints from people that don't live in the area about the rights of way.

The locals were saying they are delighted with the family that bought Lissadel and that they are devastated that this is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

The previous owner gave a sworn affidavit that there were no public rights of way through the land when she sold the house. The county council admit they do not upkeep the roads on the estate as they are private. The county council are a shower.

magnumlady wrote: »
    I heard a bit about it on Ocean fm apparently a councillor has taken on complaints from people that don't live in the area about the rights of way.

The councillor is more concerned ( and rightly so ) with the locals in the area, as well as those from outside the area, the majority of whom do not want their ancient right of way blocked. The previous owners of Lissadell house never blocked it, and got on with the locals.

There is no conspiracy theory - its just that the law is the law, a right of way is a right of way and nobody has the right to block it.

Yes, but with a right of way through it, used for generations. Thats the law. I would have thought the owners of the land were aware of the law when they bought it. Maybe thats one of the reasons they bought it so cheap.

You seem very certain about the law in this matter. Are you aware of all the facts I wonder?

I am sure there is alot more to it than what we read about in the paper or hear via local gossip.

In other words unless we know all the facts we should be very slow to jump to conclusions.

In other words unless we know all the facts we should be very slow to jump to conclusions.

What exactly are you unaware of ?

What exactly are you unaware of ?

Unless you are have owned the house/own the house/inspected the title deeds as a solicitor during the sale of the house...I fail to see how you or anyone else (including me) could possibly know all the facts. Therefore any info we have is only third/fourth hand, opinion or local pub gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Why are the family so intent on blocking access to the road if it has been used for generations. Is it an insurance issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

http://www.lissadellhouse.com/home.php

read it there, explains their reasons.
    Council are a serious shower imo. As if anyone here would want a right of way imposed or upheld outside our front door five years after buy the house.

fair play to them.

Why are the family so intent on blocking access to the road if it has been used for generations.

For the same reason anyone would want to extinguish a right of way going through their property. No great mystery about that. It seems while the previous owners allowed free access through the estate, the present owner erected barriers to restrict access over the past few years, which has not gone down too well with local people ( ask the councillors ) or the county council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think its a disgrace.
    The family have done great work to the house and had some really lovely things for families to do.
    I wouldn't want people traipsing all over my land.
    The council won't maintain the roads but expect them to be open to the public.

magnumlady wrote: »
    I think its a disgrace.
    The family have done great work to the house and had some really lovely things for families to do.
    I wouldn't want people traipsing all over my land.
    The council won't maintain the roads but expect them to be open to the public.

I am not from Sligo..but I imagine there might be some resentment among fianna fail gombeen councillor types against the owners...well to do Dublin based barristers..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

thats wrong - there were no "rights of way" over the land when the bought the property. The Cassidy's have the legal document to prove this.Cllr. Leonard is now trying to impose a new right of way - and as a result he has caused over 20 people to lose their jobs - good Cllr!

The councillor is more concerned ( and rightly so ) with the locals in the area, as well as those from outside the area, the majority of whom do not want their ancient right of way blocked. The previous owners of Lissadell house never blocked it, and got on with the locals.

There is no conspiracy theory - its just that the law is the law, a right of way is a right of way and nobody has the right to block it.

wrong again - there is no right of way and there was no right of wayCllr Leonard promised before the last election that he would obtain a ROW and as there is another election coming he was trying to make good on that promise.Now he has lost a lot of people, local people, their job - talk about making a grand geasture and having it backfire.Look at the bigger picture - Sligo as a tourist destination has f@ck all to shout about - ask anyone in England, Europe or the US if they have heard of Sligo and they think you are talking about a diease! Ask the same question about Donegal or Galway and its a different reaction.For the older (over 40) tourist what is there in County Sligo - the opportunity to soak in some seaweed - wow!Lissadel is one of a few attractions that bring tourists to Sligo. Think of a couple in Dublin who are looking for a weekend break I would have thought that they run through a few attractions they can see and book a hotel in town - Lissadel would probably be top of at least near the top of most lists - without it we are struggling. This is so short sighted and typically Sligo!

thats wrong - there were no "rights of way" over the land when the bought the property.
    The county council says there is, and they are the people who matter in planning matters etc.

Plus people were able to drive + walk past the house for generations until the property changed hands 4 or 5 years ago.

Cllr. Leonard is now trying to impose a new right of way - and as a result he has caused over 20 people to lose their jobs - good Cllr!
    The right of way has nothing to do with the viability or otherwise of the estate - if anything the estate would be more viable if access was unhindered. The business could not support 11 people, how could it.
    The tea rooms + shop there was nearly always empty, at least on the occassions I know of.

Why are the family so intent on blocking access to the road if it has been used for generations. Is it an insurance issue?

its a matter of control - how can you run a business and investment money in an attraction and the property and its gardens if you have no control over access!

if anything the estate would be more viable if access was unhindered. The business could not support 11 people, how could it..
    how do you make that out?The Cassidy's put their nut on the line for Lissadel and this is how the Council repay them! They should really be embrassed!

its a matter of control - how can you run a business and investment money in an attraction and the property and its gardens if you have no control over access!

You lock the house when you want to, you lock the buildings like the shop and tea rooms. You can even lock the walled gardens. This is as it should be. You can not lock a road over which the public has had access for generations. The barrier erected looked like a roadblock from a WW2 film.

The Cassidy's put their nut on the line for Lissadel
    How do you make that out ? They did not even live there most of the time as far as know. It is absurd to claim because there is a right of way then 11 jobs should go. People should be treated with more respect than that.

You lock the house when you want to, you lock the buildings like the shop and tea rooms. You can even lock the walled gardens. This is as it should be. You can not lock a road over which the public has had access for generations. The barrier erected looked like a roadblock from a WW2 film.

Yes you can if there was no Right of Way!Its THEIR property THEY paid for it - local people - Sligo people - the council all had f@ck all interest in the place for years. If you have a problem with the barrier THEY erected with THEIR money then why dont YOU help pay for a prettier one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Surely this should be sorted out in an adult manner - the owners of the house, if they want to live with their neighbours, should be gracious about continuing the traditional right of way, and the neighbours should be equally gracious about using it properly.

• Advertisement

How do you make that out ? They did not even live there most of the time as far as know. It is absurd to claim because there is a right of way then 11 jobs should go. People should be treated with more respect than that.

jimmy...you are very preachy and high and mightly about "the law" which I suspect you know absolutely nothing about.

Why dont you answer my previous post about whether or not you have all the facts??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement