Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood donation, supplies very low

• 08-01-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Just got a text from the blood transfusion people on Westmoreland St in Dublin saying their supplies are critically low and they are desperate for donations...third text in four days, so things are obviously bad.

I went in once about a year ago and they got about half a pint out of me before I nearly fainted so they had to stop obviously. Haven't gone again since because tbh I thought I'd be wasting their time...I think if they don't get the full pint they can't use it.

I'm just one of those fainty people I think. I would faint regularly at the doctors as a kid because of talk about blood and medical things and stuff. Thought I'd grown out of it but obviously not!

Should I try again after lunch? Or would I just be wasting their time...
    Also I appear to left the little card they sent me at home in my parents house down the country so I'm guessing they'd have to process me again. Is the blood of any use to them if they don't get the full pint?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

if your a fainter, dont bother going. they have to mind you after you fall over, and anything they get off you will probably be useless (theres minimum weights that have to be met)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you can't go yourself then nag your friends ;)

Don't forget 2 hours free parking in Fleet Street AND you get tea and bickies and other munchies afterwards

http://www.giveblood.ie/Current_Blood_Supply/

Blood Group/Days Blood Supply Remaining

O+ Blood supply 5 days
    O- Blood supply 4 days
    A+ Blood supply 5 days
    A- Blood supply 3 days
    B+ Blood supply 5 days
    B- Blood supply 7 days

AB+ Blood supply 9 days
    AB- Blood supply 9 days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I agree with Captn Midnight - if you can go, then I appeal to everyone to go to donate. However if you have had a bad reaction - it is in your best interest not to do so. Encourage your friends please!

Blood supply is very important for many operations - serious surgery can need up to 10 units or 10 donations to go ahead and cancelling these mean that cancer patients who need life saving surgery have to be postponed and risk the cancer spreading further.

I'm going to ask the admins to put up a board wide bulletin to encourage people to donate blood if they are able to. Many regular donors are snowed in, so its up to the irregulars who pop in once a year or two who can really make a difference now and literally folks, you will save someones life in getting that one needle and that one pint of blood going to the blood bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I gave blood about 6 or 7 weeks ago. When they're stuck like this do they stick to the 3 month rule?

double check as always with them - they keep that rule because you yourself need to recover from the donation. By donating blood, you are giving something without harming yourself - if you do it too soon, you may harm yourself which goes against the principles of donation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I just finished a course of Distaclor LA antibiotics yesterday. Will this make me ineligible to donate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

How long do I have to wait after flu?
    I've had the flu for christmas and now this weekend, but my blood type is a-

Also how do I change the location on those texts?

For everyone who has come to this thread - blood donations are at a critical low in this country because who are regular donors have not been able to make it to the clinics because of the weather.

Therefore I appeal to you for help.

Why should you? Every blood donation will help to save someones life. When donations go critically low, elective surgery (or non-emergency surgery) is postponed - this is not just simple things like hip replacements but life saving cancer surgery which can need huge amounts of blood, up to 10 units to perform. If they cannot have their surgery, then their cancer can spread and when they eventually have their surgery, the cancer can have spread further.

You can make a difference. If you have ever donated in the past, now is the chance to do so again. Please help somone else. Many people are snowbound - if you are not - then please make the effort to donate. It is a needle and an hour of your time - but it is so important to that unfortunate stranger who has a dreadful diagnosis and a chance of a cure. You will help them.

If blood stocks drop even lower, then it even threatens people who have accidents. People who fracture their thigh bone of the ice can bleed many units into their muscle and in other accidents can bleed even worse into their organs - there is nothing worse than if blood can save them and blood is simply not available.

So please, if you can donate through the eligibility criteria of the IBTS

http://www.giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Give_Blood/Can_I_Give_Blood/

If in doubt call them to double check

1850 731 137

Where to give blood:

http://www.giveblood.ie/Where_to_Give_Blood/

You can make a difference. The IBTS is normally reliant on regular donors who support the service, they are not available right now. You can give blood if you match the criteria or have donated before. Please make the effort if it is safe for you to do so. You will make a difference and your contribution will save a life.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I just finished a course of Distaclor LA antibiotics yesterday. Will this make me ineligible to donate?
    we cannot give medical advice on this forum - particularily regarding blood donation which has its own criteria - please phone the blood centre and ask regarding your own case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

DrIndy wrote: »
    we cannot give medical advice on this forum - particularily regarding blood donation which has its own criteria - please phone the blood centre and ask regarding your own case.

Of course - I didn't realise I was, strictly speaking, asking for medical advice. Apologies.

• Advertisement

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Of course - I didn't realise I was, strictly speaking, asking for medical advice. Apologies.
    no apology neccesary - give them a ring - you may find you are indeed eligible but I cannot speak for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

RTE reporting 2 hour delay in Dublin clinic due to numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I really wish I could give blood now, but I have to wait until February because my Hb levels were ever so slightly low when I went to donate in October/November. I've been taking iron since and I'd say my blood's A-OK, but it's their policy to wait 90 days. I might ring them up tomorrow and see when I can donate next actually.

• I had planned to give blood as soon as I turn 18 (February 27) but I was in a malarial area last April, so I've to wait for 12 months since then. :(

Out of interest, you don't need to know your blood type before you go do you? Because I don't know what mine is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nothing in Waterford till Feb it seems (apart from Dungarvan which is a bit awkward to get to)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Nope, after you donate they send you out a little card with you name and blood type on it and a barcode so they can just scan it at the clinic and have all your info next time you go to donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Would love to give blood but heard once that i cant due to the ol "Mary Jane".. is this true??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

No need to know your blood type. A few weeks after your first donation they'll send you a shiny card that has your blood type on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Would love to give blood but heard once that i cant due to the ol "Mary Jane".. is this true??

No, thats not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Went into the clinic today after an hour on the DART and was told there was a 2 and a half hour wait.

Really angry that they tell people they are desperate for blood donations YET they have queues coming out the door. So I'll be keeping my blood now :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

No, thats not true.

Sweet ill give it a go so my next free day...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I was in giving blood for the first time there on Monday, lady who was taking my blood was saying how it had been very quiet the past week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I can't say I particularly enjoy giving blood, but with all the ads about the critically low supplies I really wish I could. But I only came back from South America in May. Just feels wrong not to be able to give anything seeing as I came back perfectly healthy! I guess I'll just have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Noodles5

I have always wanted to give blood but because of piercings / tattoos I was never able to, when I went it was always 12 months you had to wait after a piercing / tattoo.. now on the website its changed to 4 months? Its strange that theyve just changed it but will pop down one of the days this week so! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

swingking wrote: »
    Went into the clinic today after an hour on the DART and was told there was a 2 and a half hour wait.

Really angry that they tell people they are desperate for blood donations YET they have queues coming out the door. So I'll be keeping my blood now :mad:

oh ffs!

do you think they were lying about their low supplies?

maybe their campaign has worked well and thats why they had queues today.

the blood they get today may not be sufficient to meet demand and replenish the stocks.

plus, clearly you're talking about a centre in dublin, which has a greater population than any other part of the country.

i doubt the centres in donegal or kerry had people queueing out the doors.

but dont let that worry you, you just hold onto all your blood cause they misled you, that'll learn the bastards :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

As you're on the Dart route it might be handier to go to the Balbriggan or Dun Laoighire clinics this week, you can also ring before making a journey to get a rough estimate of how long the visit will take, all the info is on www.giveblood.ie

Don't give up, every donation is vital. I'd give this week but I only donated the day before Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

vektarman wrote: »
    As you're on the Dart route it might be handier to go to the Balbriggan or Dun Laoighire clinics this week, you can also ring before making a journey to get a rough estimate of how long the visit will take, all the info is on www.giveblood.ie

Don't give up, every donation is vital. I'd give this week but I only donated the day before Christmas Eve.

I'm planning to go in on Wednesday again.

Thanks for the information

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I've never given blood before. I felt light headed when I had 4 vials of blood taken when I was pregnant and would hate to go only to faint and waste time. Is it often people faint? Anything specific you can do to lessen the chances of fainting?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

I'm planning to go in on Wednesday again.

Thanks for the information

Also if you are trying to make it a quick visit, you could try making an appointment for your next visit (I know they usually offer this service but Wednesday might not be far enough ahead to do it) but it's worth maybe giving them a quick call about tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I've never given blood before. I felt light headed when I had 4 vials of blood taken when I was pregnant and would hate to go only to faint and waste time. Is it often people faint? Anything specific you can do to lessen the chances of fainting?

Donors are asked have they had a meal before donating, if you donate on an empty stomach it increases the chances of feeling weaker after donating.

Advertisement