Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Crepe in the market. Arabica on Shannon street my two Sunday gotos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

We ate in the Hi Way on Friday, we've been passing it for years and just took a notion to go in... I was very impressed, I had a pizza and OH had the stir fry - 2 courses for 20 euro! Its lovely inside too, casual dining, ideal spot for a quick bite after doing a bit of shopping. Will definitely go back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I haven't been out for Sunday lunch ( in the €10 to €13 bracket ) in a while and even longer since I was in Finnegans , the last time we were there the food wasn't great and the service wasn't much better . Since then we have kinda stuck to Russells or Scots , haven't tried Collins' yet . Anyway decided to try Finnegans again Yesterday and I have to say the food was great , the price still reasonable and the service was grand , hardly what you would call friendly but maybe they were very busy given it was Sunday . Will go again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Anyone's try gasta yet? It's new paleo place where kranks corner used to be. I'm thinking of popping in Friday evening. Does anyone know what their opening hours are?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

panda100 wrote: »
    Anyone's try gasta yet? It's new paleo place where kranks corner used to be. I'm thinking of popping in Friday evening. Does anyone know what their opening hours are?

Went there yesterday for Lunch. Had a bottle of water and the Moroccan meatballs. Came to just under a tenner. You get plenty of food anyway!

Place was jammed, but id say that is over the "new" factor. Definitely a great place to eat lunch. Would recommend.

Hours are 8 to 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

cronin_j wrote: »
    Went there yesterday for Lunch. Had a bottle of water and the Moroccan meatballs. Came to just under a tenner. You get plenty of food anyway!

Place was jammed, but id say that is over the "new" factor. Definitely a great place to eat lunch. Would recommend.

Hours are 8 to 6

Doesn't look that substantial for a tenner.

Itsdacraic wrote: »

€7.50 without the drink! Your full after what they give you anyway!

Itsdacraic wrote: »

Looks just the right portion size. My pet hate is ridiculously oversized portions, no wonder we are such an obese nation!

Menu looks amazing, though it's a pity it's not opened until later.

Looks just the right portion size. My pet hate is ridiculously oversized portions, no wonder we are such an obese nation!

Menu looks amazing, though it's a pity it's not opened until later.

Totally agree, ever go to scotts for the carvery on a sunday? Portions for two people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Jasmine buffet R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Parchment wrote: »
    Jasmine buffet R.I.P.

:(:( I'm devastated! This was a favourite of mine.

I wonder will they bring it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Jasmine buffet R.I.P.

WHAT? seriously?..

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    :(:( I'm devastated! This was a favourite of mine.

I wonder will they bring it back?

On their Facebook page it says that the buffet is finished for the summer so it seems like it's either coming back in the autumn or it's a trial period for the new menu.

They're opening for lunch every day instead with the new menu. The menu is interesting because it's very similar to Aroi - same pricing, small "side dishes" in place of starters and some new dishes that are very similar to Aroi (fish cakes, noodle soups, pineapple rice). Plus, the usual Chinese dishes obviously.

It seems that they've picked up on how well Aroi is doing. I went back there for the first time in a bit and it was as nice as ever. The amount of reviews on their Facebook page is crazy and all of them seem to be 5 star. Lots of choice around when it comes to Thai food which is great.

le_girl wrote: »
    On their Facebook page it says that the buffet is finished for the summer so it seems like it's either coming back in the autumn or it's a trial period for the new menu.

They're opening for lunch every day instead with the new menu. The menu is interesting because it's very similar to Aroi - same pricing, small "side dishes" in place of starters and some new dishes that are very similar to Aroi (fish cakes, noodle soups, pineapple rice). Plus, the usual Chinese dishes obviously.

It seems that they've picked up on how well Aroi is doing. I went back there for the first time in a bit and it was as nice as ever. The amount of reviews on their Facebook page is crazy and all of them seem to be 5 star. Lots of choice around when it comes to Thai food which is great.

The jasmine has hardly any veggie options on their new menu!

le_girl wrote: »

You can't even compare Aroi and Jasmine as far as I'm concerned! Jasmine is typical chinese takeaway fare dripping in fatty sauces. Aroi is properly cooked Asian food that is healthy.

I went into Gasta yesterday. It is such an amazing addition to the city. I had steamed sweet potato fries, cod and salmon fishcakes with a broccoli salad. I wouldn't say it was the most delicious food I've ever tasted but it all seemed very fresh and very healthy. This will definitely be my go to place to eat in Limerick from now on. There is such a gap in the market for this type of food. I really hope it does well, and can easily see this concept catching on in the rest of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Well thats the end of Jasmine Palace for me. Time for a new buffet

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

You can't even compare Aroi and Jasmine as far as I'm concerned! Jasmine is typical chinese takeaway fare dripping in fatty sauces. Aroi is properly cooked Asian food that is healthy.

I don't find the food to be similar at all. I just noticed that the approach they were taking with the new menu to be very similar to Aroi. Which makes sense to me, with all of the attention Aroi has had since it opened.

Well thats the end of Jasmine Palace for me. Time for a new buffet

Same! I am all at sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Went into a well established eatery for lunch in Thomas St. on Saturday last. Ordered the lasagne off their menu. It duly arrived with veg and mashed potatoes. Spuds & veg were fine - nice and hot but the lasagne was hot on the outside but still chilled on the inside.

I sent it back (without making any song & dance) and the server asked me if I wanted it reheated or a new meal. I opted for a new meal and after 10 mins. or so, it arrived and what do you know?........yeah, lasagne hot on the outside, chilled on the inside.

I took it up to the counter and the lady explained that their lasagne was kept in the fridge and hence might be a little bit cooler in the centre, even after being heated. She apologised and offered me another choice but I was a bit pi**ed off at this stage and politely declined. Popped over to William St. and into Greene's and they had lasagne on the menu - piping hot all over (and very tasty) I might add.

Hard to imagine restaurants are still trying to get away with half-heated meals from the fridge in this day and age. Cold lasagne is a fine recipe for a serious gastric bug I would imagine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In fairness, if you want fresh lasagne cooked from scratch you'll be waiting about an hour.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    In fairness, if you want fresh lasagne cooked from scratch you'll be waiting about an hour.

True enough, but that's no excuse for serving it up half cold....twice. Once-off can happen anywhere, but twice is ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind having waited an extra six or seven minutes for it to be heated properly.

It's dangerous too, not piping hot..... cold minced meat. Ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

tippman1 wrote: »
    True enough, but that's no excuse for serving it up half cold....twice. Once-off can happen anywhere, but twice is ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind having waited an extra six or seven minutes for it to be heated properly.

Would you not say where?

It's the one with the canopy and the chairs outside, half-way up Thomas St. on the left as you walk from O'Connell st....you can probably figure it from that much info :).

pm me if you want the name, I prefer not to name & shame them in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Went into a well established eatery for lunch in Thomas St. on Saturday last. Ordered the lasagne off their menu. It duly arrived with veg and mashed potatoes. Spuds & veg were fine - nice and hot but the lasagne was hot on the outside but still chilled on the inside.

I sent it back (without making any song & dance) and the server asked me if I wanted it reheated or a new meal. I opted for a new meal and after 10 mins. or so, it arrived and what do you know?........yeah, lasagne hot on the outside, chilled on the inside.

I took it up to the counter and the lady explained that their lasagne was kept in the fridge and hence might be a little bit cooler in the centre, even after being heated. She apologised and offered me another choice but I was a bit pi**ed off at this stage and politely declined. Popped over to William St. and into Greene's and they had lasagne on the menu - piping hot all over (and very tasty) I might add.

Hard to imagine restaurants are still trying to get away with half-heated meals from the fridge in this day and age. Cold lasagne is a fine recipe for a serious gastric bug I would imagine.

I had a similar experience there a few months back. Lasagne, hot on the outside, cold in the middle. I said it to the waitress and I got it back properly reheated and was only charged half price when I went to pay. Still, I'd imagine giving out mince that hasn't been properly reheated is a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Sounds like a candidate for Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares :p

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

is there anywhere that does all you can eat buffet in Limerick city

The Peony Court Chinese restaurant, Punch's Cross, does a buffet lunch daily with all you can eat for around €13.

Whats the food like in the Peony these days - we always used to get our chinese from there but then started to find it very MSG-laden and very cheap tasting. We would all be very thirsty after it so we stopped going there.

Whats the food like in the Peony these days - we always used to get our chinese from there but then started to find it very MSG-laden and very cheap tasting. We would all be very thirsty after it so we stopped going there.

That's exactly what I thought the last time I ate there - a few months ago.
    Ok for an occasional change but I wouldn't be going there very often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

We go to the Peony court far too much :pac:, Love the food though I never really stray from the curry or the chicken Satay (best in town by far) Honey roast pork is fantastic too though

And for starters the ribs are excellent. By far the best chinese in Limerick along with China ki.

Also.. Dim Sum is now closed :(

Advertisement