Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Canal Tow Path

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

There are already several gates between Ashtown and Phibsborough that you need to lift your bike over, so it's not like one extra one will impact most people cycling along the canal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There are already several gates between Ashtown and Phibsborough that you need to lift your bike over, so it's not like one extra one will impact most people cycling along the canal.

It's only one extra?

Those other sections have yet to be upgraded as part of the Galway-Dublin cycle route and GDA cycle network.

With a small section on road the canal offers a link short distance and to the Phoenix Park etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is it possible to cycle into Dublin city from d.15 along the canal.

Is it too slow or inconvenient as a commuter route?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

beauf wrote: »
    Is it possible to cycle into Dublin city from d.15 along the canal.

Is it too slow or inconvenient as a commuter route?

I do it every twice a day from castleknock to the city. The surface varies in places but it's grand if you have a hybrid or mountain bike. There are a couple of gates you need to dismount at but that's about it. It's a lovely scenic route with no traffic so I much prefer it to the alternative routes.

Cheers how far can you go. Can you reach the ifsc/docklands and how long does it t take?

• Advertisement

Cheers how far can you go. Can you reach the ifsc/docklands and how long does it t take?

No problem. I work beside the IFSC so I usually leave the canal at the Croke Park/Northstrand lock(this lock is closed for repair a the moment but scheduled to be reopened next month).

Journey usually takes about 35 - 40 minutes from the Castleknock tow gate, but I'm a very slow cyclist and take my time.

Well worth considering if you're tired of cycling through the phoenix park and running the gauntlet along the quays.

Your times seem similar to mine over a similar time. Exactly that I'd like to try a different route. Not mad about the South quays home either. I'll give it a try in a few days. Thanks for the info. No hassle on that route?

Your times seem similar to mine over a similar time. Exactly that I'd like to try a different route. Not mad about the South quays home either. I'll give it a try in a few days. Thanks for the info. No hassle on that route?

Never had a problem with anyone along the canal, get yourself some good tyres - lots of broken glass.

Thanks for the tip. I have specialized armadillos, which I've only had a handful of punctures over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Isn't there a huge subsidence of the path along part of the canal between Drumcondra and Croke Park that would prevent safe cycling? Found this photo online : https://twitter.com/johnfurlong2/status/367584345319411714

Also, is access actually planned for Navan Road Parkway station? The area in the photograph was used to hold spoil during construction of the cycleway, that cold be why it looks like it has access?

• Advertisement

Isn't there a huge subsidence of the path along part of the canal between Drumcondra and Croke Park that would prevent safe cycling? Found this photo online : https://twitter.com/johnfurlong2/status/367584345319411714

apparently scheduled for reopening next month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Haven't even begun repair work to it if that's the plan. Its closed off at both ends so there's no access to make it unsafe to cycle along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I often cycle to O’Connell bridge area from Castleknock station. I come off the canal at Drumcondra and then go via Mountjoy Sq. and Gardiner street. It’ s about 1km longer than taking the Park and Quays and my speed seems to be about 4-5 kmph slower in general which I’m putting down to the surface difference and the locations of the downhills (via canal the drop is mostly o Gardiner St which has lots of lights slowing things down, in park the decline ins on the quick main road).
    Canal Cycle is very nice and I have had no problems with people on it, would definitely recommend it for a morning commute as there are very few people around, and you avoid the dangers of the Quays. The gates are a bit of a pain and they do slow things down but if you are interested in spend then the park is the quicker route.

Also, is access actually planned for Navan Road Parkway station? The area in the photograph was used to hold spoil during construction of the cycleway, that cold be why it looks like it has access?
    I don't think there is any plan for access - it would be a security concern and there is no reason for it as no homes would be serviced by a gate here. All homes are closer to Ashtown or Castleknock stations at this point.

The strange thing is that if these were no gates, the surface was ok and the city centre crossing points were improved the canal could be faster from D15 to the Docklands than going via the park and quays.

I've measured it before and the canal route is slightly shorter.

And clearly the canal would be the quicker way to DCU and other northside locations.

And when I say quicker, I mean for the average person on a bicycle going average speeds, not somebody going as fast as they can on a racer etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Would the canal be safe for a woman cycling alone though? I'm doing a few days in Ashtown, and it'd be a hell of a lot easier to cycle than try deal with trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I know a few girls who cycle in and out to the city centre everyday from ashtown...the only concerns I have heard from them is if they are late coming back or its winter/darker they would go by the road as its better lit than the canal path, and less chance of late-evening scobes

Out of curiosity on a darker evening, what would your alternative route be. I'm going to try the canal for a change over the next week or so. I'd like an alternative to the canal and the south quays for the journey home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

AlanG wrote: »
    I don't think there is any plan for access - it would be a security concern and there is no reason for it as no homes would be serviced by a gate here. All homes are closer to Ashtown or Castleknock stations at this point.
    In my submission about the greenway I suggested such a path for those that simply wanted to cut their walk or cycle short.

Navan Road Parkway is rarely attended by staff so revenue security should not be a concern.
    Out of curiosity on a darker evening, what would your alternative route be.
    Via Phibsborough/Navan Road.
    Navan Road after Phibsborough Church is okay, improving when you get up to McDonald's, though there is a climb to there.

There are a few ways to get to Doyle's Corner in Phibsborough, depending on where you are coming from and which roads you are comfortable on.
    NCR past Mountjoy is okay despite the climb.
    Constitution Hill is okay too (and you can turn left after the fire station to zig/zag to bypass Doyle's Corner to get to Navan Road.

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Would the canal be safe for a woman cycling alone though? I'm doing a few days in Ashtown, and it'd be a hell of a lot easier to cycle than try deal with trains.

During the bright mornings there would be no problem. Lots of dog walkers and cyclists around, and its too early for teenagers to be hanging around. Likewise at evening commute time there are a lot of people about.
    Personally I would not cycle the canal between broom bridge and phibsborough on a dark evening as its quite isolated.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity on a darker evening, what would your alternative route be. I'm going to try the canal for a change over the next week or so. I'd like an alternative to the canal and the south quays for the journey home.

There are lots of routes through Phibsborough but if you want to avoid the new cabra road and doyles corner you are going to add time. Normally if going to that part of the city I would stick to the cabra road and go through doyles corner and then either around the front of back of the matter.
    From Rathbourne, even in the dark, I would go along the canal to the ratoath road and then down through cabra past the church and Finbars GAA.

If you have a bit extra time you can take a spin along the filled in canal park in phibsborough and come out at the blessington st basin.

AlanG wrote: »
    Personally I would not cycle the canal between broom bridge and phibsborough on a dark evening as its quite isolated.
    I used to cycle along the canal between Ashtown to Phibsborough. I expected hassle around Broombridge but never had *any*, never. And I wore lyrca - I was practically asking for hassle but never got any.

One time I was offered a drink by lads before they went to a Bohs game.
    The only problem around that area were the protective male swans protecting their partner's nest on the bank right beside the narrow tow path. The swan would try to swipe me.

I haven't cycled it in 6 years so I don't know if things are better or worse.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I used to cycle along the canal between Ashtown to Phibsborough. I expected hassle around Broombridge but never had *any*, never. And I wore lyrca - I was practically asking for hassle but never got any.

Just to clarify I have never had any hassle along here on a bike but i do know there has been a lot of trouble for train commuters at broom bridge station with gangs of teenagers. The canal here is very isolated and there are very few walkers or cyclists on it after dark so I would certainly not recommend it for a woman cycling on her own after dark when there are pretty simple alternative routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

Im looking forward to cycling along this route, Anybody know if/when the section between the 12th lock and Porterstown is being done?

Im looking forward to cycling along this route, Anybody know if/when the section between the 12th lock and Porterstown is being done?
    It will be a while because it is a challenging engineering project.

On Leo Varadkar's web site, in a post about the opening of the Ashtown/12th Lock section it says:
    Feasibility study complete.Options for deep sinking section under further investigation. Then a preliminary design will commence.

No problem. I work beside the IFSC so I usually leave the canal at the Croke Park/Northstrand lock(this lock is closed for repair a the moment but scheduled to be reopened next month).

Journey usually takes about 35 - 40 minutes from the Castleknock tow gate, but I'm a very slow cyclist and take my time.

Well worth considering if you're tired of cycling through the phoenix park and running the gauntlet along the quays.

I tried it at the weekend. From Coolmine to Castleknock isn't suitable for commuting. Really need a decent MTB for that. From Castleknock to Ashtown and then to the Ratoath is great. Its a bit desolate after that, but fine for cycling. I went as far as Broombridge and ran out of time, so had to head back.

For a commuter route there's probably too many gates. I did notice some people struggling with larger bikes. I have a medium sized old MTB and it fit fine. I had one pannier and could slip through some of the narrow gates, had no problem with the kissing gates. It was just slow. Especially when you get a few bikes all arriving at the same time I can understand why they are there though.

I might try the full route this week. Its a bit indirect for me vs the park/quays, but its nice to have an alternative. I was out on a really sunny lunchtime and there was a lot of walkers and a good few cyclists, at least till the ratoath road.

For a commuter route there's probably too many gates.
    Especially when you get a few bikes all arriving at the same time I can understand why they are there though.
    Why are they there?
    Is it a perceived problem that may not exist or is there an actual problem?
    What would happen if there were no gates? (Isn't that what the CCTV is for?)

daymobrew wrote: »
    Why are they there?
    Is it a perceived problem that may not exist or is there an actual problem?
    What would happen if there were no gates? (Isn't that what the CCTV is for?)

To try to stop some teenagers using scramblers on the towpath.

It's a minor but a real issue and one which is not stopped by the gates (I've seen them inside the gates a few times).

I don't think cctv is a golden bullet either.

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    To try to stop some teenagers using scramblers on the towpath.

It's a minor but a real issue and one which is not stopped by the gates (I've seen them inside the gates a few times).
    I don't think cctv is a golden bullet either.
    These are the answers I expected. If the gates and CCTV are ineffective I think that the gates should be removed. I really hate ineffective things that punish the innocent.

Advertisement