Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rainwater Harvesting

• 24-03-2014 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello, we have an overground concrete water storage tank which was in operation some years ago (10+ yrs). We plan to put it back into commission. I would like to know the specifications as per today's standard to design an appropriate rainwater harvesting system from the roof incorporating this tank. I also need to know what treatment/sealing the tank needs, water treatment/filtration etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Evening frank, it depends on what you hope to use this water for. If you plan to use it for washing the car or watering the garden you wont need much in the way of treatment. If you hope to use it for use within the house for washing or drinking you will be looking at a lot more treatment steps. You would need some form of filtraton to keep organic matter such as leaves and moss out of your storage tank. Once you would be feeding the water into the house you will probably need pH correction as rain water can be slightly acidic and also some means of sterilisation to remove bacteria. This will probably be uv treatment if you can get and keep the water in the storage tank clean. There will also be a need for testing to confirm the water is ok to drink and use for washing and teeth cleaning.

Advertisement