Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If only they would let their standalone Eir Sport satellite customers who are forking out ?25 pm for the privilege (if they can't or won't take Eir Broadband) use the app. We've to rely on the Setanta Go website which doesn't work on mobile devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hyblaeus

Hopefully that happens especially when you pay those kind of prices, but knowing eir it is probably going to be awhile before they do anything on that.
    They have updated the website to reflect the Chromecast support eir.ie/sport/chromecast/ but on it states that Chromecast support is only with the green eir sport app and not with the app for mobile customers, so they're still showing preference to eir broadband customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

TV sports market twitter(via post on digital spy) says BT sport have won exclusive rights to eprc cup from 2018.

There are some unconfirmed reports to that effect about since Thursday. Nothing official from the EPCR yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

icdg wrote: »
    There are some unconfirmed reports to that effect about since Thursday. Nothing official from the EPCR yet.

Having all the rugby on one provider would be huge for that company. You do wonder what hit BT's finances are taking to get all these sports exclusive to their channels.

I am with Vodafone at the moment but I'd be very tempted to switch to eir if all the rugby games could be chromecast.

Or is there any way to just get the BT channels on a freesat system?

• Advertisement

Yes - if you pay ?25 pm for them and use a Sky STB and viewing card.

Unless you have a particularly good deal on your broadband (and you may have) it's probably more economical to go with Eir broadband.

Yes - if you pay ?25 pm for them and use a Sky STB and viewing card.

Unless you have a particularly good deal on your broadband (and you may have) it's probably more economical to go with Eir broadband.

Does it have to be a sky box? I have a combi box with a card slot in it?

A box would be handier as you could pause and rewind/record.

I pay €40 p/m for fibre broadband with Vodafone. It is the best in the market and have had no issues with it.

Eir is €5 dearer.

So sticking with Vodafone and using a box/card would put me out for only €20. I would be happy to pay that extra to see all the rugby games.

• Does it have to be a sky box? I have a combi box with a card slot in it?

A box would be handier as you could pause and rewind/record.

I pay €40 p/m for fibre broadband with Vodafone. It is the best in the market and have had no issues with it.

Eir is €5 dearer.

So sticking with Vodafone and using a box/card would put me out for only €20. I would be happy to pay that extra to see all the rugby games.

Yes, you would need a Sky box to keep the card active. Standalone BB with Eir is €50pm but you get the Eir/BT sport pack thrown in for free. If you have an online Eir account you can then register an Irish Sky card and view these channels at no extra cost. You don't need an active Sky subscription to do this either. Also you have the HD versions of these channels. If all the European rugby goes on to BT only it could be a good deal for a rugby fan.

Yes, you would need a Sky box to keep the card active. Standalone BB with Eir is €50pm but you get the Eir/BT sport pack thrown in for free. If you have an online Eir account you can then register an Irish Sky card and view these channels at no extra cost. You don't need an active Sky subscription to do this either. Also you have the HD versions of these channels. If all the European rugby goes on to BT only it could be a good deal for a rugby fan.

Ya it could be a great deal. Just €50 for the broadband with those channels carrying all the rugby would be a great deal especially in HD.

The tricky bit is sorting a sky box. It seems a bit of an antiquated system to access the channels. I wonder will future hybrid boxes allow access?

• Ya it could be a great deal. Just €50 for the broadband with those channels carrying all the rugby would be a great deal especially in HD.

The tricky bit is sorting a sky box. It seems a bit of an antiquated system to access the channels. I wonder will future hybrid boxes allow access?

Unfortunately viewing the channels on Eir's own website, the quality of the streams isn't that great, so being able use my old Sky box and card was handy. Having them in HD (only eirsport 1 doesn't have a HD version on satellite) as well is a great bonus.

• Advertisement

The problem is that Sky won't allow use of a Sky viewing card on any device other than a Sky digibox. Even though you don't deal with Sky for Eir Sport subscriptions Eir still need to deal with Sky for the subscriber management purposes (because it is Sky's system).

The problem is that Sky won't allow use of a Sky viewing card on any device other than a Sky digibox. Even though you don't deal with Sky for Eir Sport subscriptions Eir still need to deal with Sky for the subscriber management purposes (because it is Sky's system).

But is bt sport not encrypted on the freesat system? So why the need for the sky involvement? Do they own the epg rights or what?

But is bt sport not encrypted on the freesat system? So why the need for the sky involvement? Do they own the epg rights or what?
    Sky are in control of the NDS/VideoGuard encryption and the EPG slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

With the more recent changes to the Sky 'protection' system, the use of non-Sky STBs to receive the Setanta/eir sports channels is no longer possible.

Up to late last year it was possible to receive the channels on a non-Sky STB.

Whether or not the Sky terms of use applied to a non-Sky customer using a card issued by Setanta/eir in now a moot point.
    Setanta issued such cards under the Sound & Vision scheme, so the Sky T&Cs at that time could not be imposed on those recipients --- not unless Setanta wanted to break the S&V conditions under which they received funding.

In any case it is not now possible to use the card in such a fashion.

That in turn raises the question whether eir are correctly complying with the requirements of the S&V section of the Act. Something for another thread.

With fibre providers like eir and vodafone can you pause and rewind tv?

I got a flier in the door from vodafone but their packages are too expensive.

With the channels on freesat you don't want to be paying extra for something you already have.

I would love to see a hybrid combi box that would allow you to stream the BT channels, netflix and these various other services.

Unfortunately companies like eir are buying up the BT package and then trying to flog it at a higher price with other channels that people don't want bundled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

With fibre providers like eir and vodafone can you pause and rewind tv?

I got a flier in the door from vodafone but their packages are too expensive.

With the channels on freesat you don't want to be paying extra for something you already have.

I would love to see a hybrid combi box that would allow you to stream the BT channels, netflix and these various other services.

There does not seem much likelihood of that considering there is not even a Kodi plugin for eir sports .... one which would demand the credentials of the eir customer.

Best you can do is to build your own system with the capabilities you require.

Unfortunately companies like eir are buying up the BT package and then trying to flog it at a higher price with other channels that people don't want bundled in.

• Well it's official, BT have exclusive rights to European Cup Rugby from the 2018/19 season onwards for 4 seasons. I'd expect rugby fans to be ditching Sky in their droves after this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40493439

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Well it's official, BT have exclusive rights to European Cup Rugby from the 2018/19 season onwards for 4 seasons. I'd expect rugby fans to be ditching Sky in their droves after this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40493439

sky still have super rugby plus England internationals plus nations rugby.

It's a massive blow alright, but perhaps an expected one in the context of the big changes afoot at Sky Sports, details of which should be announced next week. With rugby union being now an "other" sport for Sky I can see them being less likely to chase other rights too, though I understand the SANZAAR rights are tied up for a good few years. Watch what happens with the Pro 12 (or whatever it evolves into if mooted changes come to pass) when its rights comes up during next season. I now expect Sky to drop that, though it may not necessarily go to BT either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Might be a opportunity for TV3 to pick up a FTA match every week. I presume ITV and Ch5 in England will bid for that pick aswell.

• Advertisement

The same source that correctly reported this deal a few weeks back thinks ITV will do a deal for the U.K. FTA rights. The Irish rights could go to any of the broadcasters, with TG4 perhaps having a slight (but only a slight) advantage thanks to an existing relationship with EPCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The same source that correctly reported this deal a few weeks back thinks ITV will do a deal for the U.K. FTA rights. The Irish rights could go to any of the broadcasters, with TG4 perhaps having a slight (but only a slight) advantage thanks to an existing relationship with EPCR.

RTÉ will want some rugby after losing the 6 nations, interesting to see if TV3 want to continue to boost its sports coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Elmo wrote:
    RTÉ will want some rugby after losing the 6 nations, interesting to see if TV3 want to continue to boost its sports coverage.

Might depend on weather they are successful in getting the football 2020 rights etc..., they might just decide to go for full radio rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Is it worth changing from sky to eir tv with free bt sports and pay for sky sports. full package including broadband and multi room for €108.
    ????????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Smith614 wrote: »
    Is it worth changing from sky to eir tv with free bt sports and pay for sky sports. full package including broadband and multi room for €108.
    ????????

That depends on what other channels you watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I would suggest just going with BT - if you're just a soccer fan, you're getting the major European leagues with them, and you're effectively paying for added cricket and rugby league with Sky.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭mike2084

I would suggest just going with BT - if you're just a soccer fan, you're getting the major European leagues with them, and you're effectively paying for added cricket and rugby league with Sky.

I'd miss the darts if I got rid of it though lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Surely Virgin now have to try go back to the table with BT having so much premium rights on the Eir pack.

Did I read recently that if you have eir fibre broadband you can chromecast Eir Sports/BT Sports?
    Are the feeds in HD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Did I read recently that if you have eir fibre broadband you can chromecast Eir Sports/BT Sports?
    Are the feeds in HD?

https://www.eir.ie/sport/

Doubt it's HD

Advertisement