Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Dealing with drunks & Ejits

• 29-02-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

More so recently and from playing late bar's I have an abundance of assholes how seem to creep out from 1am just to wreck my head. I've had everything from a legless trout faced auld hatchet pulling a microphone off me thinking she was starting her own karaoke night to a stalker who wanted to sit on my lip and browse my laptop untill he found a song he liked!

I know its part of the package when doing mobile gigs but it seems a loose/loose situation when dealing with these knobs and there always seems to be one. If you try to be nice to them they seem to take advantage of it and wont piss off and keep hanging out of you, or if your upfront with them they start getting thick with you and it only winds them up some more.

Its grand if there's security around ect who cop's them acting the ****e but with mobile gigs and its just you and them so what do people find works best to get rid of someone intent on doing your nut in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

5500 wrote: »
    Dealing with drunks & Ejits.......
    .....is just part of the job. Always has, always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Dude have you got that Klaxons mix of that Rihanna song??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Isn't dealing with idiots what mobile DJs get paid for? 'cos from my experience, it's not for the DJing...

Isn't dealing with idiots what mobile DJs get paid for? 'cos from my experience, it's not for the DJing...

While there's an element of truth in that statement Frankie, it's unfair to suggest some mobile DJ's can't play good music. There's still DJing talent involved in being a 'good' mobile DJ. That said, dealing with clowns is certainly par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Well how much experience have you?

I have to say, the arrogance of that post is unbeleivable, i know a few DJ's that dont play in clubs at all & have only ever done illegal raves, which you could class as a mobile DJ, & they would put a lot of so called 'Club DJ's' out of work if they were on the same stage as them.

• Advertisement

i know a few DJ's that dont play in clubs at all & have only ever done illegal raves, which you could class as a mobile DJ,

No you couldn't.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    No you couldn't.

Define Mobile DJ please.

Define Mobile DJ please.

I don't need to. You know very well what is meant by someone saying Mobile DJ.

I don't need to. You know very well what is meant by someone saying Mobile DJ.

No, enlighten me in case we have different interpretations of the same words.

I know what you're trying to do. I shan't be drawn

• Advertisement

I know what you're trying to do. I shan't be drawn

Ok, so i stand by,

I know a few DJ's that dont play in clubs at all & have only ever done illegal raves, which you could class as a mobile DJ.

Fairplay, but you're still wrong.

Fairplay, but you're still wrong.

Your biting.

It's "you're"

It's "you're"

Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wildBoarding

If you look on wiki (mobile DJ) it says that club dj's and rave dj's are on the same page (not stage), however I would classify a rave DJ as a mobile DJ in the sense that the stage moves - although he is not providing his own equipment, he is appearing on a stage which is not a fixed fixture. And anyway, the DJ might be the organizer himself = he provides the PA = mobile DJ.

Lost in translation...

Yeah, I'm sure the underground music scene is awesome... I've heard from friends that people will ask DJ's 'WOW, where did you get that music?' and they sort of shrug a bit and say 'the underground'.

It can be hard mobile DJing. I've done few gigs, in fact I don't gig at all anymore, even though I want to... no space / place... drunkards can be difficult to deal with, but at least you've got enough people in the room to have that kind of attention... I've played to empty rooms most of the times and it's really embarrassing, it's like why am I even here...

A good wise vocalist friend of mine told me of a technique where when someone (a drunkard for example) is annoying you, take the mic and say nice and boldly, but not hostilely, in a boomy voice almost "so, what's your name?" and turn the mic to them like a TV presenter. Take the whole situation, turn it around and into a 'stage interview' placing the spotlight on THEM. If you had an actual light you could shine on them that would be great. You will probably find (metaphorically speaking) they just sort of become very self conscious and slink away out of the SPOTLIGHT. Keep the ball rolling, asking them questions, - "are you having a good time?" - maybe involve the crowd a bit. "Is there anything you would like to say to your friends in the audience?"

Improvise.

Bring it round to a place where you say something like "I'm going to continue with the music now. Thanks for sharing with us. We'll talk later."
    And if this 'stage interview' takes as long as until your playing song finishes - this could be better in the sense that people will notice and start to look... the 'guest' will notice and also people in the crowd may come and take your 'guest' away since their music is being paused.

Try it... let us know how it goes... can't guarantee it works on all types of people. Some are more confident than others. Try different tactics... prepare some questions...

Advertisement