Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Episiotomy in UCHG

• 18-02-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Has anyone experienced an episiotomy in UCHG. If so did they have any long lasting effects or problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just googled that :eek:
    Moving this to Health Sciences (although maybe Parenting is better), hope that's ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Coinsias

Sure thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You can move it over to the pregnant forum if you like biko? Think there's been a few ladies that attended that hospital with experience!

FWIW, I went to the Coombe in Dublin and they just let me tear instead of doing a cut, it wasn't bad, a couple of stitches. I was sore after for a week or two but that was it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It depends on how much is cut. However it's likely to be quicker to heal than a tear. I've had a similar procedure outside of birth and it's perfectly fine. Even if by chance there is some scarring it can be corrected through plastic repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

friend of mine did. Hers got severely infected and took a long time to heal. note there is no suggestion that the procedure was carried out improperly but she was in the 1% that have complications I guess, no procedure being entirely risk free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was terrified of this when I was pregnant, The midwives knew me as the one who didn't want one no matter what!

In the end I tore, nobody is sure how many stitches I had! The epi just started working about 20 mins before and I had no issues at all in the weeks after. I had zero pain.

5 months on, things are healed but there is some feeling of bruising, that it.

Sure you'd like to avoid it but its not like a cesarean. In relation to that it is a tiny cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

A tear is generally better and there are things you can do to help prevent either.

Galway does particularly badly when it comes to perineal injury....

http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/fulcrum.html?ep=53

New stats will be out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

SanFran07 wrote: »
    A tear is generally better and there are things you can do to help prevent either.

Galway does particularly badly when it comes to perineal injury....

http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/fulcrum.html?ep=53

New stats will be out soon.

Why? As someone who has no children as of yet I've a) been in the horrors when I think about that (:eek::eek:) and b) wondered how a tear can be better than a neat cut:confused:

I suppose they cut more than would tear and you tear where the skin is weakest whereas the cut in the same few places all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Thankfully the coombe don't do them as I was totally against having one. Their policy is that a tear is better than a cut in terms of healing.

Just out of interest, did anyone do perineal massage in the few weeks before the edd? I did for 4/5 days a week from 37 weeks even though it was horribly uncomfortable and I had minimal tearing and only had to have a few stitches. My fear of an episiotomy was my main motivation for doing the massage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Coinsias

The reason I ask is because I had an episiotomy and four months on it still hasn't healed properly. There is scar tissue and I feel like I was sewn up way to tightly. It's causing me a great deal of distress and discomfort when I should be enjoying motherhood for the first time. I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this or has experienced it in the past, and if so, what did you do?

I think you should go back to the PHN and get it looked it. Four months on you shouldn't be in so much pain that it's affecting you like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Coinsias wrote: »
    The reason I ask is because I had an episiotomy and four months on it still hasn't healed properly. There is scar tissue and I feel like I was sewn up way to tightly. It's causing me a great deal of distress and discomfort when I should be enjoying motherhood for the first time. I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this or has experienced it in the past, and if so, what did you do?

Same here, about a 2 out of ten but I still feel it.

It was ok at the 6 weeks check, but I think ill ask the doc next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Why? As someone who has no children as of yet I've a) been in the horrors when I think about that (:eek::eek:) and b) wondered how a tear can be better than a neat cut:confused:

Everything I've read on the subject points to Episiotomy's increasing the possibility of very bad tears. Maybe because once you give a tear a start (with a cut) it's easier for it to continue on.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Coinsias wrote: »

You should get it looked at certainly as it shouldn't be like that. It's definitely worthy of being checked out. I hope my post above didn't frighten you, but even though my friend had a bad time she is totally over it now. In fact she has had another baby since and didn't tear or anything.

Advertisement